View Poll Results: Will You Give The Alpha Mini-Series A Try?

Voters
54. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Sure---let's see what it's like

19 35.19%
  • No---Not interested at all

34 62.96%
  • Who give a damn? We are electing a President today and you're worried about this??

1 1.85%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Alpha is one dimensional and boring as a character best path I see for him atm is him trying to take revenge on spidey when his powers come back because he's as much of an arrogant whiny bitch as Anakin Skywalker is back in the Star Wars prequels

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Brown View Post
    I've seen this criticism a lot lately, how was it executed poorly? You were not supposed to like Alpha, mission accomplished. How would you have liked the story to be done exactly?
    I know I wasn't supposed to like Alpha. Let me get back tou tomorrow. I want to read the saga over again so I don't do drive by criticism.

I voted no. Dan Slott knows how to create new, interesting, youngish characters as evidenced by his Avengers the Initative run but Alpha is not among them. I've given the assorted Spider office mini series a shot over the past couple years but nothing I read in the arc that introduced Alpha compels me to read about his further adventures in the marvel u.

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    I voted no. Dan Slott knows how to create new, interesting, youngish characters as evidenced by his Avengers the Initative run but Alpha is not among them. I've given the assorted Spider office mini series a shot over the past couple years but nothing I read in the arc that introduced Alpha compels me to read about his further adventures in the marvel u.
    Agreed this was a flop of a character

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

reminds me just enough of Irredeemable Ant-Man to protest vote against it.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

He just reminds me so much of Hardball and its sad that Slott didn't just make Hardball happen with a crossover with Spidey instead of this obvious knockoff. At least Hardball had a valid reason for being a prick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Brown View Post
    I've seen this criticism a lot lately, how was it executed poorly? You were not supposed to like Alpha, mission accomplished. How would you have liked the story to be done exactly?
    Because he did only dick stuff and not listen. Two or three issues of him just making out with chicks and not doing much beyond being an ass, then he saves the universe, Peter throws himself in mortal danger for absolutely no reason to save aunt may when anyone else would've done a better job and so took Alpha's powers away.

If his dick actions had been funny in a jerk way (like, say, in the Avengers movie when Hulk punched Thor away) and he had been given more inner-thoughts that could be read in an enjoyable way, then he could've been the jerk you love to hate.
    Then we go into the most bland of all power sets and...

Simply put, Slott made a terrible story. Fialkov's a great writer so perhaps the next chapter of Alpha's life will be a great read.
    Kinda like how Red Hulk was a terrible series during Loeb's run, then comes the next writer and it's actually a really good read.
    Thug: Tell... tell my wife i love her...
    Spider-man: No.

I dug the Alpha story, so I'm going to read it.

Also, this was the most meaningful election I voted in today.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    Is it $3.99 or $2.99? That will make all the difference for me. I might give it a try if it is $2.99.
    I'm thinking it'll be $2.99, it would be foolish to make it $3.99.

Oh and no I won't be buying it although I'll likely skim through it on the racks.

Quote Originally Posted by infernohara View Post
    He just reminds me so much of Hardball and its sad that Slott didn't just make Hardball happen with a crossover with Spidey instead of this obvious knockoff. At least Hardball had a valid reason for being a prick.

Hardball is one of my favorite characters from ATI & is easily more interesting then Andy/Alpha. Hardball acts like a douche sometimes BUT to me he pulls it off in a way thats entertaining/funny. What I also like about Roger/Hardball is that he's got a little bit of that Taskmaster mentality in that he's somewhat opportunistic in he's always looking for the situation/allegiance thats gonna benefit his situation...He's not a villian BUT he's damn sure gonna look after his best interests just as much as the interests who he's currently aligned with.

Also Komodo is an excellent opposite for him to be paired with...One of the better couples in the Marvel U imo & I say that not being the biggest fan of romance in comics.

Great character.

The concept (a teen who screwed up when he has super powers) is okay, and I really liked the first volume of I Vampire. So sure.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

I'd hate for him to be the new spidey.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Hardball is one of my favorite characters from ATI & is easily more interesting then Andy/Alpha. Hardball acts like a douche sometimes BUT to me he pulls it off in a way thats entertaining/funny. What I also like about Roger/Hardball is that he's got a little bit of that Taskmaster mentality in that he's somewhat opportunistic in he's always looking for the situation/allegiance thats gonna benefit his situation...He's not a villian BUT he's damn sure gonna look after his best interests just as much as the interests who he's currently aligned with.

Also Komodo is an excellent opposite for him to be paired with...One of the better couples in the Marvel U imo & I say that not being the biggest fan of romance in comics.

Great character.
    Don't get me wrong, because I LOVE Hardball. One of Slott's better creations that could've been used for the Alpha spot. Also Komodo could've connected to lizard more as well. I find these characters that Dan made were missed opportunities and he kinda made another "Hardball" with the Alpha kid. I mean it could've easily been that Hardball had gone to that school trip as his powers were exhausted after that whole Worthy situation. Spiderman then accidentally restarts the power with an omega level element added now as Hardball was already pretty powerful and Dan didn't really go into much of what he did anyway. Roger could've looked up to Spidey like a brother (since his own brother is bedridden) and still used his powers irresposibly like hes done many times before.

I'm just thinking a wasted opportunity.

I just don't see the point of Alpha.

"Eh, What's up Doc?" Spider-Frog's Avatar

I don't hate Alfalfa, But I don't find him interesting either. I won't be buying the Mini.