Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I wouldn't say all of them, but it's an interesting question. I really dislike characters that are manufactured with the intention of being relatable. If you just look at Green Lantern, Kyle Rayner was designed to be the "relateable hero" but I know plenty of boisterous, adventurous type of personalities who could relate to Hal Jordan. I think different personalities can relate to different heroes.
    Yes...that has always been my big complaint about Rayner
    Support your local roller derby league

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

I've always liked Kyle Rayner. I didn't think he was more relatable, just more interesting at the time.

But I had like zero history with Hal, so it felt like I was getting in on the ground floor for something big. And Ron Marz's incredible writing kept my interest long after the initial thrill wore off.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I've always liked Kyle Rayner. I didn't think he was more relatable, just more interesting at the time.

But I had like zero history with Hal, so it felt like I was getting in on the ground floor for something big. And Ron Marz's incredible writing kept my interest long after the initial thrill wore off.
    you poor naive child
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    you poor naive child
    How so? It was pretty big. Kyle was Green Lantern for a decade, which is no small accomplishment. And he's still a popular character.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

In good storytelling any character can be relatable. In actual storytelling many characters often are not. Seems like super hero comics fall victim to good guys being good because they're good and bad guys being bad because they're bad, nobody having any actual motive for doing anything they do except the guy with the star spangled spandex is doing the good deeds and the guy with a skull for a face doing the bad deeds. No attempt made to understand the actions of anybody.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    Unfortunately I am not reading superhero comics right now, so I can't engage your conversation about where things currently stand with comics.

I just finished reading all of Robert E. Howard's pulp Conan short stories. I could not really relate to Conan at all. He is definitely not an "everyman" type of hero. But he probably IS what many of us wish we could be (the ole male-empowerment fantasy). Granted, Howard wrote these stories during the 30's which coincides with the silver age, so I guess that is what the culture was looking for in a hero.
    You cant relate to Conan fine but dont limit his type to those times. Conan is part of long line of larger than life heroes. He has his contemporary versions in James Bond, Jack Reacher, and many fantasy heroes.

Sherlock Holmes was an earlier larger than life hero. People have always loved larger than life heroes. Thats why Conan is a father of fantasy sub-genre that has spawned 1000s of books, barbarian stereotype, why Holmes is the biggest literary character, why Daniel Craig Bond is one of the biggest heroes made today.

You said why those type is popular now and then we wish we could be the warrior, old macho hero that is too good to be true really. You might not like Conan but im sure you have liked similar versions.
    Last edited by Libaax; 11-06-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    In good storytelling any character can be relatable. In actual storytelling many characters often are not. Seems like super hero comics fall victim to good guys being good because they're good and bad guys being bad because they're bad, nobody having any actual motive for doing anything they do except the guy with the star spangled spandex is doing the good deeds and the guy with a skull for a face doing the bad deeds. No attempt made to understand the actions of anybody.
    Wow. Just "wow". lol
    Last edited by Hulk_Is; 11-06-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

I think the notion of heroes having to be relatable is inherently flawed.

As long as the heroes are interesting or compelling to you that is all that matters, and in the end its subjective.
    Last edited by Jabare; 11-06-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    'Relatable' is often used to cut down heroes seen as paragons, like Superman and Captain America.
    Yeah: when people say heroes aren't relatable because they're too nice, what does that say about the fans?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Yeah: when people say heroes aren't relatable because they're too nice, what does that say about the fans?
    Ha, I always think about that one too.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    LOL! True enough.

If the little girl was stupid enough to lose her cat, Supes, no reason why you should get it out of the tree for her!