Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39
  1. #16
    Senior Member dr chimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Clowes's Lloyd Llewellyn and co.
    Only have one issue (maybe no 2?) - what happens in the story where the chief detective is in charge of investigating a murder. He gives everyone an envelope with a photo of a suspect inside and they all have a week to investigate. Cue a series of ridiculous events as they all recount why their suspect was innocent - until it gets to lloyd who of course was in charge of investigating the chief. End of issue. What happened next? (i am crap at working out murder mysteries - to this day I still dont know how The Man Who Haunted Himself ended either)
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

  2. #17
    Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Posts
    5,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    The whole Love and Rockets cast, from Gilbert Hernandez's Palomar gang to Jaime's Maggie, Hopey, Penny Century, and all the rest.
    I can't believe I didn't remember them. Good call, berk!
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

  3. #18
    Elder Member dupersuper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    31,011

    Default

    Cat Grant
    Allie the copy girl
    Jerry White
    Bibbo
    Silver Banshee
    Bloodsport
    Prof. Hamilton
    Thaddeus Kilgrave
    Jason Todd
    Halo
    Katana
    Matrix Supergirl
    Gangbuster
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

  4. #19
    Veteran Member SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    Ms. Michael Tree. The greatest female detective ever.
    I actually just picked up some issues of DC's Ms. Tree Quarterly from the $1 bin this weekend. Never had any interest in the character before, but I can't resist complete runs for cheap...

  5. #20
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dr chimp View Post
    Only have one issue (maybe no 2?) - what happens in the story where the chief detective is in charge of investigating a murder. He gives everyone an envelope with a photo of a suspect inside and they all have a week to investigate. Cue a series of ridiculous events as they all recount why their suspect was innocent - until it gets to lloyd who of course was in charge of investigating the chief. End of issue. What happened next? (i am crap at working out murder mysteries - to this day I still dont know how The Man Who Haunted Himself ended either)
    The first one sounds like the Red Hoerring story in #4, which Clowes never did follow-up. spoilers:
    Red Hoerring was revealed as the murderer at the end of that story.
    end of spoilers I just checked my copy of the Complete LL and Clowes says he meant it to be the first of a multi-part story but changed his mind

    I can't remember the Man Who Haunted Himself - was that a Lloyd Llewellyn story as well? Great title, wherever it was from.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    I can't believe I didn't remember them. Good call, berk!
    In the late 80s and early 90s I was into that whole world as deeply as I'd ever been into the MU or its various sub-worlds. I still enjoy the series, but don't feel as immersed in it as I once did, perhaps because I haven't been periodically re-reading it through the collections like I used to.
    Last edited by berk; 11-06-2012 at 10:58 PM.

  6. #21
    To burn and to rise Mormel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On the mighty Maas
    Posts
    3,964

    Default

    I realise I'm re-treading a path I've went down a hundred times in my posts here on CBR (see the avvie and user tag), but for me, it's:



    Rachel Summers. Yes, I can quite understand why people would consider here a 'Jean clone', taking the same powers and codename as her mother, or that people may find her backstory to be particularly convoluted.

    Why Rachel Summers? Several reasons. Her design struck a chord with me. She was a gaunt, almost androgynous appearance, with a buzzcut and rat's tail. Her look and outfits weren't as 'tradtitionally feminine' as many other female characters that had appeared in Marvel and X-Men up to that point.
    Her backstory was a particularly tragic one, being the first of the 'time-travelling' characters (like Cable and Bishop later), coming from a world in which the X-Men -her family- had all been killed. A dystopia where she had served with the bad guys, following a childhood brainwashing.
    Perhaps most importantly, her attempt at becoming an X-Men in her 'past' (and our present), was difficult to say the least. She lasted a total of 20 issues, which was the shortest X-Men stint for a member back then, if you disregard the Mimic and Thunderbird, who were both planned to be early departures. I've said this before, but if you read into her thought bubbles in that mid-80s run of Uncanny X-Men, it becomes clear that Rachel is the X-Man that tries to be a heroine, but fails doing so. I always found her arc from that angle to be very, very intriguing.

  7. #22
    Mark Brodersen hondobrode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    3,907

    Default

    I agree with you.

    That's about the time X-Men started to falter IMO and I fell away for the most part, but, Rachel was a character I remember really liking.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

  8. #23
    Mark Brodersen hondobrode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    3,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I actually just picked up some issues of DC's Ms. Tree Quarterly from the $1 bin this weekend. Never had any interest in the character before, but I can't resist complete runs for cheap...
    Ms. Tree was a great character. Terry Beatty's artwork had a great Johnny Craig feel and IIRC Max Allan Collins (Dick Tracy) wrote the stories. I'm really surprised it hasn't been collected by someone.

    It's a good read. Some of that cheap stuff ends up being real good sometimes.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

  9. #24
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    I agree with you.

    That's about the time X-Men started to falter IMO and I fell away for the most part, but, Rachel was a character I remember really liking.
    I liked Rachel in Excalibur, but I must admit, I started to lose interest in the X-Men to an extent even before she debuted; for some reason, perhapps because I was at an impressionable age when I got into the X-Men's adventures soon after the "All-New, All Different" team arrived, I've never really registered any X-Man who joined the team after Kitty Pryde, or at the outside, Rogue. I still think of Rachel and the rest who came after her as 'new' characters, somehow, not proper X-Men...

  10. #25
    Veteran Member Leocomix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,606

    Default

    Concrete by Paul Chadwick

  11. #26
    Senior Member dr chimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    The first one sounds like the Red Hoerring story in #4, which Clowes never did follow-up. spoilers:
    Red Hoerring was revealed as the murderer at the end of that story.
    end of spoilers I just checked my copy of the Complete LL and Clowes says he meant it to be the first of a multi-part story but changed his mind

    I can't remember the Man Who Haunted Himself - was that a Lloyd Llewellyn story as well? Great title, wherever it was from.
    Yes thats the one! The chief does it but it was left on a cliffhanger - def. had the feeling of a multi part story - always wondered how he was going to resolve it and guess he did too if he changed his mind.

    Man who haunted himself was either a really good or really bad UK Roger Moore film from 60s in which Roger Moore spends the whole day going from place to place to find out he's already been there and caused all sorts of ructions. However, I missed last 10 minutes so I never did find out just how that all happened - bugged me very very vaguely (in same way as the Red Hoerring story) ever since - haunted by the man who haunted himself.
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

  12. #27
    Senior Member Bad Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    I liked Rachel in Excalibur, but I must admit, I started to lose interest in the X-Men to an extent even before she debuted; for some reason, perhapps because I was at an impressionable age when I got into the X-Men's adventures soon after the "All-New, All Different" team arrived, I've never really registered any X-Man who joined the team after Kitty Pryde, or at the outside, Rogue. I still think of Rachel and the rest who came after her as 'new' characters, somehow, not proper X-Men...
    I think Rachel should probably not have become a regular character. I liked her in "Days of Future Past" and was excited to see her return in New Mutants (mainly because I was proud to have figured out who she was when Claremont & Sienkiewicz were just showing hints of her), but bringing her and her baggage into Uncanny X-Men full time led to the depressing path that eventually caused me to leave the book.

  13. #28
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dr chimp View Post
    Yes thats the one! The chief does it but it was left on a cliffhanger - def. had the feeling of a multi part story - always wondered how he was going to resolve it and guess he did too if he changed his mind.
    According to the Complete LL, he was going to take it up to Red's trial and everything - and was even contemplating a reader's vote to decide his fate ... he doesn't come right out and say so, but I get the impression that he decided the idea was just plain dumb, rather than dumb-in-an-ironical-way-that's-actually-clever.

    Man who haunted himself was either a really good or really bad UK Roger Moore film from 60s in which Roger Moore spends the whole day going from place to place to find out he's already been there and caused all sorts of ructions. However, I missed last 10 minutes so I never did find out just how that all happened - bugged me very very vaguely (in same way as the Red Hoerring story) ever since - haunted by the man who haunted himself.
    That sounds like something I might like to watch, one of these days. I have some lingering nostalgia for 60s and early-70s movies and tv series, and Roger Moore was pretty prominent back then - not only for his Bond movies, but The Persuaders, if I have the title right - that tv show he did with Tony Curtis where they're both rich playboys who also work as spies, or something equally unlikely. And The Saint, of course, and various other things.

  14. #29
    Ex-Cheeks Reptisaurus!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Iowa City I-AAAAAAAAAAAA!
    Posts
    5,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post

    The Tick and related characters.
    Man-Eating Cow! Man-Eating Cow!

    I never watched the Tick cartoon because they switched MEC from hero to villain.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

  15. #30
    Senior Member dr chimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    According to the Complete LL, he was going to take it up to Red's trial and everything - and was even contemplating a reader's vote to decide his fate ... he doesn't come right out and say so, but I get the impression that he decided the idea was just plain dumb, rather than dumb-in-an-ironical-way-that's-actually-clever.


    That sounds like something I might like to watch, one of these days. I have some lingering nostalgia for 60s and early-70s movies and tv series, and Roger Moore was pretty prominent back then - not only for his Bond movies, but The Persuaders, if I have the title right - that tv show he did with Tony Curtis where they're both rich playboys who also work as spies, or something equally unlikely. And The Saint, of course, and various other things.
    Ah i was expecting some massive twist in the story - like he believed he did it - but actually hadnt - glad he just left it the way it was then if red actually did do it. I think i might reread that issue to celebrate finally finding out.

    yep the persuaders! this send up of that kind of british swinging 60s tv gets me every time.

    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •