Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Out there, that a way Doctor Cosmic's Avatar

Default If All-Star Superman is Superman's TDKR...

...then it also deserved a two-part animated adaptation.

You may disagree that AS\S/ is of the same quality of TDKR, but regardless, it deserved the same two-part treatment as TDKR.

I personally think it is Superman's TDKR, i.e., a definitive story for Superman that encapsulates who the character is and what he's about and does so in an out-of-continuity, "imaginary story" fashion.

So why didn't AS\S/ get a two-parter? Is it because Batman is the surer thing, money-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    ...then it also deserved a two-part animated adaptation.

You may disagree that AS\S/ is of the same quality of TDKR, but regardless, it deserved the same two-part treatment as TDKR.

I personally think it is Superman's TDKR, i.e., a definitive story for Superman that encapsulates who the character is and what he's about and does so in an out-of-continuity, "imaginary story" fashion.

So why didn't AS\S/ get a two-parter? Is it because Batman is the surer thing, money-wise?
    I agree about the two-parter thing with ASS. I felt the dvd/blu-ray missed on some on the thematic points that Morrison touched upon such as the Bizarros and Zibarro's lonliness/desperation. A second 1/2 hour would've been fine. Also, the 75 minute limits are just lame and restricting for the sake of making more more. I know this maybe be in the minority but ASS is the better story to me. While revolutionary and groundbreaking for its time, TDKR required the putting down of one character to prop another up. Also, most miss the point that it was political satire.

Yeah, it would have been better as two parter, maybe they will rerelase it any day now for an aniversary or whatever.

Also, I would argue that Whatever happened with the Man of tomorrow is Superman's DKR, if only because they came from the same wave and both helped usher in the Dark age (which sadly ended up turning into a Dork age but this two stories are still great. If anything, ASS seems like the anti-DKR.
    Last edited by Vidocq; 11-05-2012 at 06:12 PM.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    If anything, ASS seems like the anti-DKR.
    Yeah, definitely. I wouldn't associate those two stories together at all.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Yeah, definitely. I wouldn't associate those two stories together at all.
    Look at my reasoning for putting the two together in my initial post. They both break ground, they're both critically and (mostly) fan beloved, and they both exist outside the confines of continuity.

But I definitely agree AS\S/ is the "anti-TDKR." It has to be, as it's the essence of Superman in twelve parts.

I watched it again last night after a long while and forgot how great the adaptation was. But I was also reminded of all that was missing, and of some of the mistakes that were made in some of the creative choices. I mean, really: Superman allowing prisoners to die? Seemingly killing Solaris while stating he's "almost out of mercy?" Superman is NEVER out of mercy.

Aside from those issues, I love the movie and of course, adore the source material. I think it deserved the two-part treatment it will sadly never get.

Look at my reasoning for putting the two together in my initial post. They both break ground, they're both critically and (mostly) fan beloved, and they both exist outside the confines of continuity.
    Yeah, I just don't agree with your reasoning. They are both out-of-continuity and they both are comic books, but that's about as far as I think you can take it.

Yeah, I just don't agree with your reasoning. They are both out-of-continuity and they both are comic books, but that's about as far as I think you can take it.
    So you don't think both are A) ground-breaking B) deserving of a two-part animated adaptation?

BANNED

Yeah it should have been in two-parts, but it's easier to sell Batman in that kind of format...I guess.

So you don't think both are A) ground-breaking B) deserving of a two-part animated adaptation?
    I would love if they had adapted All-Star Superman into a TWELVE PART animated series. 70 minutes for each issue of the comic.

But that still doesn't make ASS Superman's DKR. At all.

All Star Superman had a film adaptation? When?

Quote Originally Posted by HXHAlex View Post
    All Star Superman had a film adaptation? When?
    Direct to video cartoon. Last year.

Direct to video cartoon. Last year.
    wow, cant believe i missed that. I usually keep up on the DCAU releases

TDKR is better. BUT... I do think All Star deserved the two part treatment. I felt the movie was good, but it fell way short of what Morrison was doing. It was just the tip of the iceberg. That said, TDKR is a more audience friendly story (at least to casual fans). Nolan's trilogy shares many qualities with it, it's violent, it's critically acclaimed, and it's Batman. So it's definitely an easy sell.

Since a common complaint from some quarters is that Superman doesn't have enough memorable stories like Batman (I don't agree with the complaint, but this is what they say), I'm satisfied that at least we can agree on All-Star Superman as being one, on the same level of notability as TDKR. I wouldn't want to see writers trying to match all the Batman stories for their tone--since that tone doesn't fit Superman.

Up until now, all the adaptations have been one part movies. I don't know of any before TDKR that were two parters. You could just as easily argue that New Frontier deserved to be in several parts--it's not something particular to All Star.

Would this have made them better adaptations? I don't know. I haven't liked most of the adaptations, so I suppose it's possible that more time would have made them better. But it's just as possible that more time would have made them even more unsatisfying. Maybe TDKR will set a new trend--if the producers think they can get more money by forcing consumers to buy more than one DVD to get the whole story.

I definitely agree that All Star deserved the same treatment (two part, uncut), considering it's just about as widely praised as Dark Knight and has a similar type of grand scope, epic feel to it. The two can easily stand beside each other on the bookshelf without any shred of inferiority. Obviously, some of the best bits of All Star didn't make the animated version (Bizarro World, Kandor, etc) which was (and is) a shame.