Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Much as I'd like to see one, I sort of feel an "OLYMPUS" book would limit and cover a lot of the same ground that the current Wonder Woman run is covering. Still, I DO think it would be a lot of fun.

Anyway...

Wonder Woman: Exactly as is.

Sensational Wonder Woman: This would focus more on superhero Wonder Woman. Someone said it best -- a return to Rucka's run, essentially. Scott Snyder has shown interest, Fialkov writes brilliant strong women and intrigue, but of course bringing Rucka back would be idea,.

Wonder Woman, Princess of Themiscyra: Ben Caldwell writes and draws. An all ages book, out of continuity, that tells wonderful and beautiful tales of the young Princess Diana growing up on the island, sneaking out to Man's world, etc.

Strife: I'd structure this book as they once structured Phantom Stranger, or as Gaiman did Sandman. In fact, this would have a lot in common with Gaiman's Sandman, even more in common with Gillen's Journey Into Mystery. It wouldn't be centered around the character of Strife per se...she would largely be a mechanism to explore others, as Sandman tended to. All the different ways Strife manifests in a life. Her character arc would be something that occurred in the background, as she gains dimension. No one better than Gillen to take this book, but I'd take Paul Cornell as well. Have this one deal with individuals, have this one deal with OTHER mythologies, new myths cropping up.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I'd like to see Wonder Woman with the SHAZAM kids, after all... they get most of their powers from her family now and they can kinda help each other, the kids could help her by teaching her about the world of man and she can help the kids with superhero-y and grown up stuff.
    ASM, ELEKTRA, SILVERSURFER, DAREDEVIL, MOONKNIGHT, SHEHULK, FANTASTIC FOUR, MM, INVINCIBLE, INVINCIBLEU, MANHATTAN PR, E OF W, BLACKSCIENCE, BEDLAM, VELVET, TWD, SAGA, Mignolaverse, MASSIVE, MIND MGMT

Hmmm... mostly copying:

Wonder Woman: As is. Lots of gods and myth and magic.

Sensation Comics: A fun rompy superhero book, all her non-deity enemies like Cheetah and etcetera. Diana pulls together different parts of the DCU highlight different female characters, or those whom she might have sexual tension with. Random arcs fill in with Hippolyta or Donna Troy or Cassie as the central character, when something in the main book takes Diana away from man's world. Include the government stuff she deals with, but don't ever lose the fun (ie not a Rucka run).

Wondergirls: A team book with Cassie, Donna Troy, Circe's daughter Lyta (still exists?) and perhaps a teenaged Nu52 Nubia. They take on well mixed amalgamation of mythic and terrestrial challenges, both social and physical. Then they have to deal with each other. Eros and Hermes play significant roles. All ages, but still in continuity.

Those three would be indefinite ongoings, I would always have a limited series going on though, any one of these may be running at any given time for 12-36 issues.
    Amazing Amazon: Adventures of Young Diana
    Wonder Woman: Year One: "Exactly what it says on the tin."
    Lennox and Percy: Demigods. Bounty Hunters. Go.
    Wonder Woman: Goddess of Truth: Tour De Force on the Mythos by a future Diana, multiple realities, multiple endings. Basically, her TDKReturns.
    Tales of Themyscira: Anthology series, covers all the Themyscirans, previous champions, a lot of Hippolyta.
    Last edited by DrCosmic; 11-25-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    formerly gammaranger

Quote Originally Posted by tangentman View Post

Troy--A character study of the mysterious Donna Troy. Who IS this strange young woman with powers and bracelets nearly identical to Wonder Woman? Let's bring her into the universe in a linear, non-convoluted manner.
    That sounds like a wonderful idea.

I'm not familiar with Donna but she seems interesting, and I can understand why so many are pissed she's not here. I'd maybe make it an off shoot of the Wonder Woman title like Action is for Superman, and Tec' is for Batman (Wonder Womans all star- sensational comics take your pick)

But I think thats a genius way to reintroduce her. or at least a good start. i know of Donnas convoluted origin so streamlining it is a must. Hey, maybe she can have the clay origin now! (if she didn't already... sorry I'm still not clear as to what her story is)
    Steve Rogers: You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?
    James Barnes: Hell, no! The little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight. I'm following him."

I think that it would be relatively easy to expand WW out to a line, but you'd have to do it organically, like how the Green Lantern line grew from one to five books slowly. That didn't happen overnight; it was slow and each book had to earn its place. So, for me:

Wonder Woman: I'd leave this as is, but add a "Tales of the Amazons" backup feature that recounts parts of their history as,yths. That might actually be narrated by Strife, sometimes.

Sensation Comics: This would launch after the Amazons are restored and would be focused on Paradise Island. The main characters would be Artemis, Heracles/Champion, Hippolyta, Phillipus, Io and Hephaestus. It'd be a darker book, somewhat, more of a political thriller with mythological twists and noirish superheroics. In this, Artemis would be acting for Themyscira as Batman does for Gotham, but with governmental support, taking care of all domestic threats. Hercules would be the Warden and first reformed inmate of Reformation Island. Phillipus would be the acting head of the military and Hippolyta would go on a world diplomatic tour. A big part of he book would be the social friction and tension caused by the incorporation of the Bana and the Forge Amazons.

ARGUS: Starring Wonder Woman, Steve Trevor, Etta Candy and Giganta. Basically doing what Trevor said they did in the Cheetah arc of JL, being a small strike force against the unknown horrors of the world. To differentiate it from JLDark and JLA, these aren't domestic threats or clearly magical ones. Giganta is their science person, with her personality from The Atom and now smarter the bigger she gets. This is a lighter, funnier book, but has high stakes. Think the tone of Chuck if that was about Diana and Steve.

Wonder Girl: The teen-hero stories of Cassie Sandsmark (I'd reveal her to be an Olympian bastard of some kind and have that Silent Armor whatever abandoned and forsaken) as a student at the Holliday Academy. Donna Troy is the headmistress (I don't imagine it would be that hard to explain her existence) and operates intermittently as the heroine Titania. The Young Justice girls are all students at the school, also. Mostly Cassie fights revamped classic Teen Titans villains, deals with normal stuff, all that. Her mother works nearby at the Morrisonian Museum of Natural History, which is being funded by a reincarnated and morally gray White Magician.

I'd also have Diana be the leader of the JLDark, because that just makes sense. It would only be good for the stature of the character.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    I think that it would be relatively easy to expand WW out to a line, but you'd have to do it organically, like how the Green Lantern line grew from one to five books slowly. That didn't happen overnight; it was slow and each book had to earn its place.
    Well, mostly it happened because the relaunched Green Lantern book with the return of Hal Jordan was an instant top 10 book and stayed a top 10 book. It literally did happen overnight. Green Lantern went from C-list to A-list overnight when Johns relaunched the book.

So really, what it takes is for Wonder Woman to become an A-list superhero. And that means A-list in the sense of copies sold. Being an icon or being well-known by people who don't buy comics doesn't really help your book(s).
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Well, mostly it happened because the relaunched Green Lantern book with the return of Hal Jordan was an instant top 10 book and stayed a top 10 book. It literally did happen overnight. Green Lantern went from C-list to A-list overnight when Johns relaunched the book.

So really, what it takes is for Wonder Woman to become an A-list superhero. And that means A-list in the sense of copies sold. Being an icon or being well-known by people who don't buy comics doesn't really help your book(s).
    Her book is currently very popular, but I agree that her profile would have to be raised. I meant that there weren't suddenly so many GL books; one spawned another spawned another spawned another. The popularity rise was sudden, though. EDIT: And I think it's important to note that the GL concept is prime for multiple titles, because there's multiple lanterns and types of lantern. Same as the X-Men; any book about mutants is an X-book.

Much as I love the book as it is now, Azzarello's take isn't aimed for mass appeal. If it were, Jim Lee would be drawing it and it'd be more violent. I'm thankful for what we've got... I'd much prefer it to a popularity ploy.

That said, GL is only a popular franchise within comics. I sincerely think nobody else gives a toss, which is definitely not the case for WW.

Her book is currently very popular,
    It is moderately popular, as comics go, 51st best selling comics is not that much to write home about.

I meant that there weren't suddenly so many GL books; one spawned another spawned another spawned another. The popularity rise was sudden, though.
    Maybe it'd help if Diana were killed off in a widely unpopular story, left dead for about 15-20 years, and then brought back by whomever the most popular writer of the late 2020's will be.

EDIT: And I think it's important to note that the GL concept is prime for multiple titles, because there's multiple lanterns and types of lantern. Same as the X-Men; any book about mutants is an X-book.
    Yes, not being focused on one, single character would definitely a franchise spawn extra books.

Much as I love the book as it is now, Azzarello's take isn't aimed for mass appeal. If it were, Jim Lee would be drawing it and it'd be more violent. I'm thankful for what we've got... I'd much prefer it to a popularity ploy.
    This makes no sense at all. It is no more or less violent than most comics.

That said, GL is only a popular franchise within comics. I sincerely think nobody else gives a toss, which is definitely not the case for WW.
    Green Lantern might be a lot more popular if his film hadn't been sabotaged by its producers.
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

When you say "men aren't allowed on paradise" does that mean you want to be on top?

Oh, sorry: not that kind of line...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

It is moderately popular, as comics go, 51st best selling comics is not that much to write home about.

Maybe it'd help if Diana were killed off in a widely unpopular story, left dead for about 15-20 years, and then brought back by whomever the most popular writer of the late 2020's will be.

Yes, not being focused on one, single character would definitely a franchise spawn extra books.

This makes no sense at all. It is no more or less violent than most comics.

Green Lantern might be a lot more popular if his film hadn't been sabotaged by its producers.
    -Better than it's sold in pretty much ever.
    -Or maybe the series would have to be excellent enough for long enough that the most popular writers WANT to write the book.
    -I suppose Batman and Superman having multiple books is sort of a counter argument, but they're hard to justify to me as to each book having a purpose.
    -It's really not that violent compared to, say, Aquaman, which is a more traditional superhero book. WW only kills when she has to and tends to find other solutions if she can. But then again, perhaps the art style makes the action more abstracted, which makes it seem less graphic. I was just saying that the aesthetic is more like a Vertigo book than a standard superhero one.
    -It is known.

That's not really saying much.
    -Or maybe the series would have to be excellent enough for long enough that the most popular writers WANT to write the book.
    The most popular writers already want to work on the book.
    -I suppose Batman and Superman having multiple books is sort of a counter argument, but they're hard to justify to me as to each book having a purpose.
    It's not a counter arguement because I didn't say that solo characters can't have big sprwling franchises. I just said it's easier to do for a group of characters (By the way, Batman, Robin, Nightwing, the other Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman, the ex-Robing etcetera... Not exactly focused on a solo character, that franchise.)

-It's really not that violent compared to, say, Aquaman, which is a more traditional superhero book. WW only kills when she has to and tends to find other solutions if she can.
    Most books are like that.

But then again, perhaps the art style makes the action more abstracted, which makes it seem less graphic. I was just saying that the aesthetic is more like a Vertigo book than a standard superhero one.
    In what sense?

That's not really saying much.
    The most popular writers already want to work on the book.
    It's not a counter arguement because I didn't say that solo characters can't have big sprwling franchises. I just said it's easier to do for a group of characters (By the way, Batman, Robin, Nightwing, the other Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman, the ex-Robing etcetera... Not exactly focused on a solo character, that franchise.)

Most books are like that.

In what sense?
    -I know, that was my point. This is more popular than the book has really ever been amongst comic book readers.

-Azzarello wants to work on the book, I've yet to hear anyone else say they'd love to work on WW someday.

-I know, I said that it's a shoddy counter-argument. My point was that being seemingly focused on one character doesn't necessarily limit the franchise. Just look at Spider-Man. Or Batman. Or Superman.

-This was exactly my point. If it were trying to be like most books, it would be going for mass appeal as opposed to a more idiosyncratic approach.

-I'm uncertain what you mean by this. If you mean the first part, standard superheroic art styles tend towards "realistic" whereas Chaing's work is more impressionistic and less detailed, because he wants it to be an abstracted representation of what's happening. So that makes violence less gory or, more accurately, less graphically gory. It looks less "real", so it impacts less. For the second part of what I said, the less mainstream approach is what Vertigo is known for, and WW is very similar to at in many ways, in both art and writing. We've yet to have an actual villain who's just a bad person yet, for example. The morality is all shades of grey. And the art is very, very different to the vast majority of comics out there.

-Azzarello wants to work on the book, I've yet to hear anyone else say they'd love to work on WW someday.
    Gail Simone, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Gearge Perez, even John Frelling Byrne. The character has never had any trouble attracting big name writers.

-This was exactly my point. If it were trying to be like most books, it would be going for mass appeal as opposed to a more idiosyncratic approach.
    What's this in reference to? You should learn how to quote.

-I'm uncertain what you mean by this.
    I'm uncertain what you mean by a lot of your points.

If you mean the first part, standard superheroic art styles tend towards "realistic"
    Haha. No, they do not. There's a massive amount of variation there these days.
    whereas Chaing's work is more impressionistic and less detailed
    It's really, really not.

For the second part of what I said, the less mainstream approach is what Vertigo is known for, and WW is very similar to at in many ways, in both art and writing.
    Wonder Woman has been that way at least since Perez wrote her.

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

-It's really not that violent compared to, say, Aquaman, which is a more traditional superhero book. WW only kills when she has to and tends to find other solutions if she can. But then again, perhaps the art style makes the action more abstracted, which makes it seem less graphic. I was just saying that the aesthetic is more like a Vertigo book than a standard superhero one.
    -It is known.
    Actually, issue 17 of the current run sold less than issue 17 of the previous run.

It's selling well, don't get me wrong, but it's not better than ever, and it's pretty much on the same rate of decline as it has shown in previous runs. If they actually crossover with anything, like the Trinity Wars, sales will spike, but Azzarello's determination to keep her isolated from everything else in the DCU isn't helping the book :(

As to violence, I really don't see Aquaman covers with lakes/rivers of blood, horses being beheaded, or Aquaman covered in blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Actually, issue 17 of the current run sold less than issue 17 of the previous run.

It's selling well, don't get me wrong, but it's not better than ever, and it's pretty much on the same rate of decline as it has shown in previous runs. If they actually crossover with anything, like the Trinity Wars, sales will spike, but Azzarello's determination to keep her isolated from everything else in the DCU isn't helping the book :(

As to violence, I really don't see Aquaman covers with lakes/rivers of blood, horses being beheaded, or Aquaman covered in blood.
    I stand corrected, then. Though if you're not reading Aquaman... they keep those things for inside the book. (And the horse being beheaded was less violence than it was magic... they didn't even die.)