Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    once and future

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    You do know you're tempting a debate, right?
    If only I had One More Day to prepare my arguments!

This is just getting more and more confusing. I really think Slott is throwing out misdirection after misdirection. Miguel as Spider-Man is intriguing, but there are a few issues.

For one, the character hasn't been touched in close to 15 years. This isn't like replacing Batman with Dick or Cap with Bucky. Those were moves with well established characters and strong followings. Trying to pull it off with a character in limbo for 15 years seems risky.

Second issues: Slott has said that MJ is with Spider-Man. Unless that is a huge misdirection, how would that work? He seems to be building towards Peter and MJ reconciling their differences. Unless he shows that to not be the case in the next few issues, how would that work? That might be my biggest issue with the idea of changing out Peter for another character.

Third issue is I just don't see this lasting. I spend a lot of time on a message board with older collectors. Most of them will have no interest in seeing someone else don the mantle of Spider-Man. As mentioned above, the character where it has been successful were established. Also, the writer who wrote those books were big time talent. Slott just doesn't have the same name recognition of Brubaker or Morrison. Also- look how long those changes lasted under top talent. It wasn't long at all. Why would Marvel just revisit that type of thing?
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

It's not meant to be permanent. It's a story.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

I still think that Superior is Peter Parker with a new identity and (of course) a new attitude to cover that new identity.

Sweetest Guy in the Swamp Manphibian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Slott View Post
    You heard it here first.
    Spider-Dragon thinks that single parents who have raised children on their own AREN'T heroes.
    Discuss. ;-)

A)I'm sure Uncle Ben's life insurance policy helped a lot B)If not than the government sure did(she could even get a free cell phone these days) C)she raised a teenage boy that was more than able to do a lot on his own.

So save that single mom crap, if you really want to look at it that way she did a crap job, the kid was always sneaking out at night, lying, and coming home with bruises.

She is no hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    It's not meant to be permanent. It's a story.
    Let's just hope that whatever Dying Wish/700 turns out to be, it's a good one.

I read the interview and wow... I'm getting excited. I really want to read this now. December for 700? $8? Okay. I'm going to be expecting a lot of story. I don't want $8 cause it's a 22pg comic with a bunch of Spidey splash page celebrating him. But that's neither here nor there. I'm excited. The biggest danger is this-- I read the road to 700, fall in love with Peter as Spider-Man and then get upset when he goes away as Spidey! Whatever happens, I'm excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Manphibian View Post
    A)I'm sure Uncle Ben's life insurance policy helped a lot
    Haha, what?

A) Do you know how much the average life insurance policy pays out?

B) Money solves all problems?

This thread has taken or is taking a turn for the bizarre.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Has anyone seen Miles Morales. Could he be Spider-Man to uniform the universes. Peter looked him up when he came back from the Spider-Men crossover with a shocked look on his face.

Just throwing out suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinmansstory View Post
    Am I the only one to think that Doc Ock's physical body is going to die, but that his mind will somehow end up in the body of Peter Parker? Who else would be [the] "Superior Spider-Man" than Doc Ock? It would certainly be a drastic change in the character, for however long it lasted...

Thats sounds very interesting. Dan dropped that line in the interview, something about that Doc Ock and Spidey are quite similar persons. They were both nerdy and stuff. Only difference that Peter was raised by loving aunt may and uncle ben and Doc Ock raised by terrible parents.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    This approach is nearly a year late. Maybe a new Spider-Man would have worked a few years ago, but Marvel already tried this gimmick with Ultimate Spider-Man by killing Peter Parker and replacing him with a character that doesn't even have half his appeal in Miles Morales. That gimmick is still ongoing. And trying it in 616 is just asinine because if people want a non-Peter Parker Spider-Man, they already have one. Ben Reilly didn't last as Spider-Man. Like Miles, he was a complete gimmick that Marvel had to eventually retcon because fans eventually wanted Peter Parker again. That's who is Spider-Man in all the movies, cartoons, and what not. That's what most fans are going to expect. If Marvel didn't learn their lesson from the Clone Saga, then something is seriously flawed with their logic.
    I hear ya. With all due respect to everyone involved, this is obviously not going to last. I just hope it's truly "story-driven" and delivers for us. I think it has a lot of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinmansstory View Post
    Am I the only one to think that Doc Ock's physical body is going to die, but that his mind will somehow end up in the body of Peter Parker? Who else would be [the] "Superior Spider-Man" than Doc Ock? It would certainly be a drastic change in the character, for however long it lasted...
    I could see this. It sounds pretty B movie-like, but I bet Slott could pull it off. Ock would be the Spidey Carpenter saw killing somebody, possibly Ock's body, thinking that he's getting rid of Pete in the process. Too bad Doc Strange pulls Pete out of the ether after a significant amount of carnage and (further) besmirching of Spidey's (perennially besmirched) rep by Ock Spidey and Pete reclaims his body eventually.

The Urich theory seems sound as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Manphibian View Post
    A)I'm sure Uncle Ben's life insurance policy helped a lot B)If not than the government sure did(she could even get a free cell phone these days) C)she raised a teenage boy that was more than able to do a lot on his own.

So save that single mom crap, if you really want to look at it that way she did a crap job, the kid was always sneaking out at night, lying, and coming home with bruises.

She is no hero.
    The Passion of the Manphibian

Has anybody suggested that the dying wish may be Uncle Ben's? Some of the leaked art looks like Peter has gone back in time.
    Maybe something changes at the beginning. That would allow for most of the cast to be around, just with things altered.
    I don't know where I got the idea, but I seem to remember Slott saying this goes all the way back to the spider bite in an interview.

Just Sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by PublicImageLtd View Post
    Dan,

I think you're a great writer, in fact very underrated among the others at Marvel. And you should get more accolades for your work. But when I read 698-700 and maybe Superior 1 and if it is what I think it is, I'll be disappointed to say the least. I have zero problems with Pete not being Spidey. But killing him off? That's lazy and uninspired writing. Again if that ends up being a reality. If not, I'll eat crow gladly. But if so, just sad. I expect better from a writer like you not to resort to industry trends and cliche. There's many other viable options story-wise to write Pete out instead of killing him I really hope I'm off the mark here...
    Why would killing him off automatically be lazy and uninspired?
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

Just Sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    This approach is nearly a year late. Maybe a new Spider-Man would have worked a few years ago, but Marvel already tried this gimmick with Ultimate Spider-Man by killing Peter Parker and replacing him with a character that doesn't even have half his appeal in Miles Morales. That gimmick is still ongoing. And trying it in 616 is just asinine because if people want a non-Peter Parker Spider-Man, they already have one. Ben Reilly didn't last as Spider-Man. Like Miles, he was a complete gimmick that Marvel had to eventually retcon because fans eventually wanted Peter Parker again. That's who is Spider-Man in all the movies, cartoons, and what not. That's what most fans are going to expect. If Marvel didn't learn their lesson from the Clone Saga, then something is seriously flawed with their logic.
    Miles is pretty successful and is probably the best non-Peter Parker Spidey that Marvel has ever created.
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Brown View Post
    Miles is pretty successful and is probably the best non-Peter Parker Spidey that Marvel has ever created.
    He's boring