Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I'm thinking Harry is the new Spider-Man.

In the interview they keep mentioning Madame Web and at one point Spider-Island. Thinking back, didn't she say something like Peter would have to take a life? And I'm pretty sure that hasn't happened (has it?) because of the whole "no-one dies" thing, so it would be a pretty big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    We don't know if it was a true mistake or if he was just teasing. But there was a twitter comment. It's also been referred to in this thread as well so I'd be careful in here if you're trying to avoid possible spoilers.
    I'm honestly still thinking it was a red herring... haha
    Peter Parker is my lord and saviour.
    Show Teddy some love!
    "I want Apex to feast on Reptil like a pregnant khaleesi." - Sanji
    MY ART

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LooneyKoala View Post
    In the interview they keep mentioning Madame Web and at one point Spider-Island. Thinking back, didn't she say something like Peter would have to take a life? And I'm pretty sure that hasn't happened (has it?) because of the whole "no-one dies" thing, so it would be a pretty big deal.
    It ended up being Kaine who fulfilled that prediction.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Oh yeah

Or maybe it was referring to a different death
    Show Teddy some love!
    MY ART

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LexValentine View Post
    That was one of my early guesses too. But he's been out of play since the beginning of "Big Time" (or the end of that "American Son" mini), so Harry doesn't jive with the 'culmination of the run' talk.

Maybe it really is Harry and Slott and co. are hoping people have forgotten about him.

if pete is dead, there needs to be a backdoor. trapped in 2099 in stasis, the Watcher's lair, etc.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Oh yeah

It is possible!
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

I don't really remember any hints in Spider-Island. Anyone think they have any clue what that segment referred to?

Quote Originally Posted by jloder24 View Post
    So did Marvel tell the interviewer "absolutely no questions about the spoilers:
    "Miguel tweet" or anything even in the ball-park about Spiderman 2099"
    end of spoilers? Or did he/she totally drop the ball by not asking Slott the question? Not that he would have answered anyway, but it's still a valid question that should have been asked. Otherwise, I don't know if I agree that Doc Ock is #2 behind GG in Spidey villains (but Slott makes some good points), but if so, I can't believe they would really kill him off for good, because now you've taken Spider-man's top two enemies off the table. I'd be much more interested in buying Spiderman #700 if the hype was just about a great, mind-blowing story and not "someone else behind the mask at the end!", because we know Peter will be back (hey, he's got a second movie to do) and "we kill off a major villian! again!" because no way you'd get rid of a great character like Doc Ock.
    What would be the point of the interviewer asking the question?

If the Tweet was an accidental spoiler, then the surprise will be ruined for even more readers.

If it was Slott trolling the fans, then the interviewer will just be helping him out, and getting the hopes up for anyone looking forward to that status.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Comments about a tweet by Dan Slott which was either a direct message to an artist, or an attempt to troll fans, have been edited to include spoil tags.

There's also another thread to talk about the implications of that, which wasn't alluded to in the current interview.

Keep in mind there are several levels of spoilers. Some readers here will be comfortable reading and discussing an interview with Slott, but they won't think it's as much fun to talk about something that could be an actual spoiler. They're happy to speculate, but they're not as interested in confirmation.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

In ASM 691, Madame Webb asked if Peter would forever cut anothe's skein from the web of life.

She didn't say he would, but man, she's been pushing hard for it since Spider-Island.

Also, Roddy was at the center of the distorted web where the future goes dark...which could strengthen the Phil Urich theory!
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by LexValentine View Post
    It's possible. After all, we haven't seen him for something like 50 issues, so his return would be a surprise. Plus, he does have "pedigree" within Spider-Man history, including being a former boyfriend of Mary Jane. However, the downside as I see it are these: based on what Dan Slott says in this interview, it's something that he's been building towards since he became the lone writer on Amazing Spider-Man with "Big Time," and Harry left at the end of Brand New Day. Plus, given how Marvel has been insistent about Spider-Man being about youth, how would that square with a character who is a divorcee who has fathered two kids with two different women? And how would his being the new Spider-Man square with him looking after his new son?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Oh yeah

Also, pay close to the exchange between Spidey and Julia during that scene in ASM #666, as well:

Spider-Man: I refuse to believe [I'll kill someone]

Julia Carpenter: I've seen it.

Spider-Man: No way. I'd stop being Spider-Man. I'd die first.

Julia Carpenter: Actually--

Spider-Man: Oh, God! Shut up already!

Also, let's not forget Amazing Spider-Man #673, in which Julia offers Spidey an out, saying that if he took the Anti-Venom cure, a new Spider-Man would take his place and he would have a chance at a normal life, implying that if he continued being Spider-Man, he would suffer a "loss" because of it. Well, we know now that when Julia told him "I'm sorry for your loss" that she wasn't taking about Mary Jane. And then, when Spidey is fighting the Lizard in ASM #691, Julia, watching from above, says this:

"Will you do it Parker? Will you forever cut another's skein from the Web of Life?"

And because Julia claimed Silver Sable was still alive, maybe she WASN'T talking about her.

I don't know about you guys, but this makes me believe that Doc Ock will be responsible for taking the life of Aunt May and that this will be what drives Peter to kill Doc Ock.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 11-05-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by DamnYellow View Post
    I don't really remember any hints in Spider-Island. Anyone think they have any clue what that segment referred to?
    Possibly the reference about someone (Peter?) taking a life? As already said, that could have been referring to Kaine and therefore already resolved, or that could be what they want us to think and it hasn't actually happened yet...
    Show Teddy some love!
    MY ART

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    It's possible. After all, we haven't seen him for something like 50 issues, so his return would be a surprise. Plus, he does have "pedigree" within Spider-Man history, including being a former boyfriend of Mary Jane. However, the downside as I see it are these: based on what Dan Slott says in this interview, it's something that he's been building towards since he became the lone writer on Amazing Spider-Man with "Big Time," and Harry left at the end of Brand New Day. Plus, given how Marvel has been insistent about Spider-Man being about youth, how would that square with a character who is a divorcee who has fathered two kids with two different women? And how would his being the new Spider-Man square with him looking after his new son?

Also, pay close to the exchange between Spidey and Julia during that scene in ASM #666, as well:

Spider-Man: I refuse to believe [I'll kill someone]

Julia Carpenter: I've seen it.

Spider-Man: No way. I'd stop being Spider-Man. I'd die first.

Julia Carpenter: Actually--

Spider-Man: Oh, God! Shut up already!

Also, let's not forget Amazing Spider-Man #673, in which Julia offers Spidey an out, saying that if he took the Anti-Venom cure, a new Spider-Man would take his place and he would have a chance at a normal life, implying that if he continued being Spider-Man, he would suffer a "loss" because of it. Well, we know now that when Julia told him "I'm sorry for your loss" that she wasn't taking about Mary Jane. And then, when Spidey is fighting the Lizard in ASM #691, Julia, watching from above, says this:

"Will you do it Parker? Will you forever cut another's skein from the Web of Life?"

And because Julia claimed Silver Sable was still alive, maybe she WASN'T talking about her.

I don't know about you guys, but this makes me believe that Doc Ock will be responsible for taking the life of Aunt May and that this will be what drive Peter to kill Doc Ock.
    Thanks for that! I'm off to have a think and reread some of that stuff.

EDIT: plus that quote from #666 is the one I was thinking about!
    Show Teddy some love!
    MY ART

Am I the only one to think that Doc Ock's physical body is going to die, but that his mind will somehow end up in the body of Peter Parker? Who else would be [the] "Superior Spider-Man" than Doc Ock? It would certainly be a drastic change in the character, for however long it lasted...