Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Princess Murder You bipolar danger girl's Avatar

I like select things from almost all nerd categories, but can afford only a few comic books a year, and the occasional trip to the movies. Luckily CBR is free! Weeeee!

... other than the cost to my soul.
    The unicorn is kind of lonely
    Being unique and oh so corny
    Mounting does not amount to much
    The unicorn is unic-horny.
    ~the4thpip

Diamonds, Daisies, Snowflakes,
    Bipolar Danger Girl
    Chestnuts, Rainbows, Springtime ...
    Is Bipolar Danger Girl
    She's tinsel on a tree ...
    She's everything that every girl should be!
    Sable, Popcorn, White Wine,
    Bipolar Danger Girl
    Gingham, Bluebirds, Broadway ...
    Is Bipolar Danger Girl
    She's mine alone, but luckily for you ...
    If you find a girl to love,
    Only one girl to love,
    Then she'll be Bipolar Danger Girl too ...
    Bipolar Danger Girl!
    ~fly on the wall

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Slam, it's amazing that you stay normal amid all the great anime out nowadays.
    It's oh so tempting. I could spend my whole paycheck just on anime.

I'm pretty sure I've never actually seen any anime. Maybe an episode of Avatar with my kid if that counts as anime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Kis View Post
    Well what I mean is what do you spend your money on all the time? Do you buy comics, videogames, anime, tv shows, clothes, food, etc.

How do people stay sane
    If the Internet is any indication, many of them don't.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    My experiences with Spider-Man, Star Wars, The Chronicles of Narnia, etc. have legitimately shaped my worldview about what it means to be human.

It's sometimes only as an adult that I realize just how deeply my childhood literary loves shaped me.

To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, "I loved Peter Parker before I loved Christ." (Lewis said Balder.)

Obviously entertainment can help shape who you become. Fahrenheit 451 and Animal Farm both had a profound effect on me and helped shape how I think. But so did both my Grandfathers and my Father and my fifth grade school teacher.

But those are discrete instances of particular works. I have a hard time seeing how Spider-man could do that. Possibly a discrete instance of Spider-Man (with great power...etc.), but as a whole, who is he? Nerdy high school science dude? Stud with two hot chicks fighting over him? Photo Journalist married to super model?

Not trying to dismiss what you're saying, but I just can't see how a character that is malleable based on who is writing him can have that much effect.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Well what I mean is what do you spend your money on all the time? Do you buy comics, videogames, anime, tv shows, clothes, food, etc.

How do people stay sane

this might be because I have brain damage from a medicine I took I don't know

They have advertisements for videogames in comics and tv shows

They have advertisments for comics in videogame magazines

I don't know what they advertise with anime though
    I'm not much for that clothing and food stuff. Bah. Who needs it.

Anyway... about 80-85% of my entertainment money goes to comics. I occasionally buy a DVD or a CD, but there hasn't been a whole lot of worth in those two categories in a while.

I haven't had cable for over a decade (and not complaining), so all my TV is from OTA broadcast. Most of that is old reruns (Perry Mason, MASH, All in the Family-- that type of stuff on ION, AntennaTV, MeTV, ThisTV), but I'm grateful for Monk and Burn Notice in syndication. Psych reruns used to be on ION, but they stopped them. This does threaten to drive me psychic.

My knowledge of console video games ended with Sega Genesis. The last video game I played was City of Heroes a long time ago. I'm not pleased, but not complaining about any of that.

As a general rule, I don't like much anime.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    I don't spend a whole lot of money on any of that stuff. My comic budget is moderate, I buy one or two video games a year. I don't buy DVD's at all anymore, although I've been considering the Bond 50th anniversary set.
    You sound like me, im taking my masters degree in library science i cant afford 20 comics a month like before on student budget,part time work. I buy only big fav like MGS,Mass effect,Pro evolution soccer.

Lovefilm account is a great way to save money for me, i can rent 70 odd films per year of my favs without collecting expensive DVDs.

Plus it cost alot of money to go out with friends, eat,drink coffee type things.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    You sound like me, im taking my masters degree in library science i cant afford 20 comics a month like before on student budget,part time work. I buy only big fav like MGS,Mass effect,Pro evolution soccer.

Lovefilm account is a great way to save money for me, i can rent 70 odd films per year of my favs without collecting expensive DVDs.

Plus it cost alot of money to go out with friends, eat,drink coffee type things.
    Yeah I spent $80 on dinner and a movie a few weekends back. Now I remember why I don't do that.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    Yeah I spent $80 on dinner and a movie a few weekends back. Now I remember why I don't do that.
    I have friends who work full time and they forget i cant spend that much on dinner,films on weekends. It takes self discipline not to overindulge in comics you cant afford eating out often.

I have books i have bought recently and brand new comics GNs that i dont have time to read that for the first time made me feel guilty of buying too much......
    Last edited by Libaax; 11-10-2012 at 03:42 PM.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Yeah I get like that. I've seriously slowed down my buying until I've caught up on my reading. There's probably $70 worth of trades I want to buy right now, I'll probably buy one $30 trade before the year ends and that's it though.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

As for staying normal... Metamucil and prune juice.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I don't think of the question in terms of physical, or even financial base lines.
    I thought since all these different forms of entertainment
    allowed for a brief escape from reality. How do we keep normal, normal?

Spoiler alert
    *as I type this I am watching TWDead with Rick stabbing the head of his loved one while
    the head resides in the stomach of a zombie. I m sure he is doing it out of love to make sure
    she doesn't become zombied.

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've never actually seen any anime. Maybe an episode of Avatar with my kid if that counts as anime.
    Avatar is not anime because it was not produced in Japan, but it's heavily influenced by anime. It's also an absolutely brilliant show. Your kid has good taste.

For me, at this point in my life the problem is not so much money as time. I already have huge stacks of books and comics that I haven't found the time to read, and I keep buying more. I wish I had two heads so I could read more than one book simultaneously.
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

How do people stay sane

this might be because I have brain damage from a medicine I took I don't know
    Easy peazy, even when I first set foot into this world there was already a lot of stuff to like and a lot of people liking their stuff, both as either less so, all simultaneously, to be aware of, or not so much.

For any genre of anything, within my scope or quite beyond it, there will be a lot to like both as a giant buttload of CRAP.

It is my duty and my cause and my special skill to seek out what I like and then be to like it.
    Which genre or type will be having absolutely ZERO to do with, both as even popularity or likability to it or such.
    Be it mass entertainment or art or music or literature or whatever the heckin' darn.

Whereas creativity or creative authenticity or imaginativeness for me MUST be forming a part of it, a significant part.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.