Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Meehl View Post
    I thought about Che, but MLK and Malcolm X have nothing to do with Hispanic/communist revolutionaries.

Thus, I think Chris Rock's SNL black power character, Nat X, is most fitting.
    Dont know Nate X, lol but I stick with Che he is more bad ass I am sure and looks great on a T-Shirt. lol

Judging by Scott throwing shapes, he may be the MU's answer to Xzbit...?

You all forget about Cyke merging with Apocalypse. It is there, where he started to become more darker and more radical.

EDIT: And despite being possessed by Phoenix, Cyke was pretty calm and concentrated. It was Avengers fault for putting him over the edge
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

Quote Originally Posted by chakal View Post
    You all forget about Cyke merging with Apocalypse. It is there, where he started to become more darker and more radical.

EDIT: And despite being possessed by Phoenix, Cyke was pretty calm and concentrated. It was Avengers fault for putting him over the edge
    I like to call that "kicking his balls".

Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    Hello all,
    First up, I stress that I am someone whose comic-reading days were largely during the 1980s, and I acknowledge that developments in many characters may have taken place over the last 22 years, gradually. However, on reading "God Loves, Man Kills" recently, I was struck by just how often it seems that the character of Cyclops was decided by basically taking his position in this graphic novel and inverting it.
    After reviving Storm and Cyclops, Magneto points out that he and they are not enemies, and asks why the X-Men continue to risk themselves for an ungrateful populace. Cyclops' reaction? 'Is your way any better? A mutant dictatorship?'. Later in the same conversation, Scott states that 'Anyone can create a utopia (interesting choice of word here) for a single generation...Who preserves your dream after you're gone?'
    At the conclusion of the tale, when even Xavier is tempted to try Magneto's way, it is Scott who speaks up, at first pointing out that 'Such a fundamental shift in attitude can't be imposed - to have any meaning, it must grow from within'. He also states that 'The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all. Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made'.
    Later, after Xavier has come to his senses, and remained true to the dream, Ororo goes outside to speak with Scott, and, in his response, he says (of Xavier) 'He was in need. I helped him. As he would me.'.
    Is the real Scott Summers in a pod underneath the water in Jamaica Bay...?
    I think its more about what the times demand of people. Does anyone have a friend who is a little hard to control? Might get in fights sometimes or something. It forces you into acting more responsibly than you normally would when you are around them. Back then Cyclops could afford to be the good cop, because the threat of that bad cop was sufficient to where humans knew not to mess with mutants too much, or their would be repercussions. As humans became more bold and his back was against the wall he did what he had to save his race.

I've always thought of the Xavier Magneto thing as being a good cop bad cop routine. Like " hey humans my friend over there, you see that guy? He's nuts. I don't know if I am going to be able to stop him from losing it on you if you don't agree to....

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meehl View Post
    If Xavier was MLK and Magneto was Malcolm X, then who is Scott? Nat X?
    The MLK-Malcolm X analogy was stupid anyway. Magneto is Che Guevara: starts as a well-meaning revolutionary, becomes a cool pop symbol, but also increasingly murderous, tyrannical and paranoid- when he actually gets power, he's a disaster at it, and he becomes more popular and useful to his cause dead than alive.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

Quote Originally Posted by x-men_always_win View Post
    Neither did Scott. He was possessed, or did that escape you? Times changed, Scott changed with it. It is character development. I rather like how the former boy scout turned out. He was getting kicked in the balls for far too long. You can only get kicked in the balls so many times before you come to your senses.
    Killing your mentor/father figure is coming to your senses. And Cyke wasn't possessed, he was angry at Xavier and has been since the whole Deadly Genesis storyline.
    Check out the O.A.W. Report at www.majinoaw.blogspot.com. You want to see why I say the things I do or understand what's in my head... this is the place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Majinoaw View Post
    Killing your mentor/father figure is coming to your senses. And Cyke wasn't possessed, he was angry at Xavier and has been since the whole Deadly Genesis storyline.
    Xavier is not a saint. He caused Scott so much trauma over the years, and that is well documented. I am not saying he deserved to be off, but again, Scott was not really in control over his actions as he was possessed by the Phoenix. Under normal circumstances, he would never kill the man.

But again, he made the necessary adjustments for the benefit of survival of the mutant race.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    The MLK-Malcolm X analogy was stupid anyway. Magneto is Che Guevara: starts as a well-meaning revolutionary, becomes a cool pop symbol, but also increasingly murderous, tyrannical and paranoid- when he actually gets power, he's a disaster at it, and he becomes more popular and useful to his cause dead than alive.
    Don't even suggest that Magneto should die! He is doing quite well as Scott's right hand man. And that fire power is necessary.

Xavier is not a saint. He caused Scott so much trauma over the years, and that is well documented. I am not saying he deserved to be off, but again, Scott was not really in control over his actions as he was possessed by the Phoenix. Under normal circumstances, he would never kill the man.

But again, he made the necessary adjustments for the benefit of survival of the mutant race.
    Nah Cyke knew what he was doing. It was a revenge kill.
    Check out the O.A.W. Report at www.majinoaw.blogspot.com. You want to see why I say the things I do or understand what's in my head... this is the place to go.

Mercy killing maybe.
    VIVA KUSASAN!!! Morrison On Magneto: I made him into a stupid old drug-addicted idiot. CC had done a lot of good work over the years to redeem the character. And I went in and sh*t on all of it.

Dont know Nate X, lol but I stick with Che he is more bad ass I am sure and looks great on a T-Shirt. lol
    Che was only bad-ass when he had a base-ball bat and the victim was tied to a chair, otherwise he was pretty pathetic. He did manager to utterly destroy two forces of "liberation" He did so by commanding them.
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

The writers of AvX probably view GLMK as ancient history. The writing and art is so different. I'm sure we'd get chided that stories like that don't sell anymore and how superior the new product is. Cheah right.
    Pot+Kettle - "This post went so full retard that it had to be quoted."

Quote Originally Posted by Time_to_Zap View Post
    Precisely. That's what makes Cyclops' recent arc so tragic; he used to believe those things, but the world has hardened his heart and he's changed. It makes me sad to think about, but that's how you know it's a good story.

Pointing to 80s Cyclops and saying he's not the same guy as he is now would be like getting mad Darth Vader didn't act as nicely as Anakin in "Phantom Menace."

Exactly. Things have changed and so is Cyclops. He's had to change with the times.

I'm a big fan of Scott's current direction. But I will say God Loves, Man Kills was a perfect example of what Scott used to be. Before recent events, he came to personify Xavier's dream more than Xavier himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingonyama View Post
    Oh HOLY F*CK this. So very much.

God Loves Man Kills is one of my favorite X-Men stories of all time. It's easily the single story Claremont wrote that I find to be most relevant to mutant/human relations. And I loved EVERYONE in there. Especially Scott.
    My sentiments exactly.

Every character had a chance to shine. Magneto and Cykes were never better.

Just look at all these characters now......

Two dead the others unrecognisable with the possible exception of Mags. Read em and weep.