Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    He pretty much said outright he had no interest in being a superhero at the time.
    More than 5 years ago in the DCU timeline.

He pretty much said outright he had no interest in being a superhero at the time.
    I don't see why a Steel book would have to focus on him being a straight up superhero.

Just the opposite, in fact.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I think I'd be interested in a Steel ongoing if they just made him a science hero instead of an armored hero.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    I think I'd be interested in a Steel ongoing if they just made him a science hero instead of an armored hero.
    I'd rather he was a social crusader that used science than a science hero per se.

The thing is, of course in a superhero book you need the action, and Steel's suit is a big part of his recognizability. But he doesn't have to be a typical superhero to get into scraps that require the use of force, and ergo his suit.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    I'd rather he was a social crusader that used science than a science hero per se.

The thing is, of course in a superhero book you need the action, and Steel's suit is a big part of his recognizability. But he doesn't have to be a typical superhero to get into scraps that require the use of force, and ergo his suit.
    I can dig it.

I've said this before, but I think it's sort of the key to distinguishing Steel from all the other 'science dudes' out there.

Characters like Reed Richards, Ray Palmer, Will Magnus, and Pym...they all love the science of science. Science is the end, in and of itself. Discovery, inventing, theorizing...that is all the stuff they live for. Solving a problem is a challenge, and that is where the excitement lies; in solving the problem, regardless of the context.

Steel doesn't really give two craps about science. Science is a means to an end, a way of raising people up, raising the world up. It doesn't exist in a vaccuum, it's utility is predicated upon the impact it has on PEOPLE.

That is the direction you take the character, I think.

I don't see why a Steel book would have to focus on him being a straight up superhero.

Just the opposite, in fact.
    Yeah, but I just doubt they would make that kind of book though.

Yeah, but I just doubt they would make that kind of book though.
    Eh, they're doing it up and down the dark line.

So long as you include enough action, I think DC would be fine.

I'm not advocating a rumination on the world's social ills as Steel sits at his desk and writes grant proposals or anything. :)

My prediction:
    Shazam! (and Cyborg will become the new backup feature in Justice League).
    That said, I'm always wrong about my comic book predictions. So it won't be Shazam.

I've said this before, but I think it's sort of the key to distinguishing Steel from all the other 'science dudes' out there.

Characters like Reed Richards, Ray Palmer, Will Magnus, and Pym...they all love the science of science. Science is the end, in and of itself. Discovery, inventing, theorizing...that is all the stuff they live for. Solving a problem is a challenge, and that is where the excitement lies; in solving the problem, regardless of the context.

Steel doesn't really give two craps about science. Science is a means to an end, a way of raising people up, raising the world up. It doesn't exist in a vaccuum, it's utility is predicated upon the impact it has on PEOPLE.

Yeah, this is it. This is exactly it. And I totally agree with everyone saying you dont put Steel into a classic superhero type title either. I mean, if you want someone with an "S" on his chest, you read Superman. If you want an armored hero fighting bad guys, you read Iron Man. Steel has to be something different than either of them, and I think the above quote goes a ways towards defining that. Steel should be an Edge book, but not Edge like "bad 90's pouches and guns and cigars" edge, but edge in the way that Planetary was edge. John should be about saving the people, and science is the way he does it. I dont need, or want, to see random, forgettable villains and other classic genre troupes. I want to see a thinking man's comic that goes about things in a totally different way.

That sort of Steel book could be amazing. I wonder if DC has burned its bridges with Warren Ellis?

Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    Yeah, this is it. This is exactly it. And I totally agree with everyone saying you dont put Steel into a classic superhero type title either. I mean, if you want someone with an "S" on his chest, you read Superman. If you want an armored hero fighting bad guys, you read Iron Man. Steel has to be something different than either of them, and I think the above quote goes a ways towards defining that. Steel should be an Edge book, but not Edge like "bad 90's pouches and guns and cigars" edge, but edge in the way that Planetary was edge. John should be about saving the people, and science is the way he does it. I dont need, or want, to see random, forgettable villains and other classic genre troupes. I want to see a thinking man's comic that goes about things in a totally different way.

That sort of Steel book could be amazing. I wonder if DC has burned its bridges with Warren Ellis?
    Ellis is never going to do a Steel book, regardless of his relationship with the company; there is a good chance that he's never going to do a COMIC book again, if Gun Machine is successful, an even greater chance that he'll never do a corporate owned comic book again.

Ellis' relationship with Marvel (and, presumably, with DC since he does have a good relationship with Harras) is that he'll do some of their books that he thinks might be fun and easy for the visibility.

That makes something like "Superman" or "Batman" or "Justice League" a possibility, but not something like Steel or Cyborg or Nightwing or what have you.

Not enough dividends.

That said, I think there are plenty of people who are capable of putting out such a book; Hickman, before he got too big himself I suppose. Nick Spencer, I believe, still has it in him. Eric Trautmann, potentially, although his interest and skill tends to lie in the military-themed. Fialkov certainly seems capable of exploring the social ramifications of various status quo and status quo shifts in I, Vampire and Last of the Greats.
    Last edited by Desaad; 11-06-2012 at 08:42 AM.

I would dig a Booster Gold book.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

BANNED

Misread that and thought you guys were talking about a writer for a second.

Basically he's an engineer, not a scientist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pikul View Post
    No way. They're not popular enough.
    After "fan-favorites" Vibe and Katana, I can really see a Bunker ongoing series.
    Or a Dex-starr solo title.
    Booster gold not popular enough? Compared to Bunker or Dex-starr, Booster is Batman.