Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    queen of the stone age Wilder Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    I'm referring to ongoing titles. There has never been an ongoing title to this point by the big 2 publishers starring a gay male super hero.
    the Midnighter.

Regardless as to his ethnicity I'd rather see an all new character developed rather than having Vibe come out as a gay man.
    it's the end of the world as we know it.

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

And if this IS true, that will mean that DC will be publishing the first gay male super hero in a solo lead for an ongoing title.
    Only if it`s the first under the "DC Comics" logo. Midnighter already had a solo a few years ago.

hadn't heard this. Might be another reason to check out the title

I'm referring to ongoing titles. There has never been an ongoing title to this point by the big 2 publishers starring a gay male super hero.
    Actually there was Triumph back in the late 90's, you know the "lost leader" of the Justice League. Christopher Priest, the guy who wrote the title stated that Triumph was meant to be gay though the title was real subtle about it.

Here's the source from Wikipedia:
    Love life: Christopher Priest has since revealed[11] that Triumph was written as gay, though it was never officially stated in comics because he "didn’t have an appropriate storyline to deal sensitively with that issue, but that was my subtext for his emotional center: how out of place and out of sync Triumph was with the DC Universe."
    Last edited by G-Man12; 11-05-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Put in source

BANNED

So... he's not gay. Pete Woods just confirmed it.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    Wait, are you serious? Because there is an abundance of Latino comic characters out there, let alone ones with solo books?

Please tell me this is a joke.
    You misunderstood what I was saying.

I questioned whether straight Latino males may be annoyed if DC came out with a gay Latino lead character because there are so few Latino characters of any type starring in their own solo comic books from DC (or Marvel). Gay Latinos may be in favor of it, but would they be annoyed if a lead Latino character were instead a heterosexual?

And if DC really wanted a gay Latino hero in a solo book, why not give Bunker a mini-series?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
    So... he's not gay. Pete Woods just confirmed it.
    Too bad. Well at least that saves me a bit of $$$ as I'm definitely going to give the Katana book a shot. So I guess we are still at a stage of progression where gay male characters are now allowed prominent positions on a few team books like Astonishing X-Men, Young Avengers, Stormwatch, and Earth 2, but are still not allowed pretty much to be allowed to have that starring role just yet.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wilder Midnight View Post
    the Midnighter.

Regardless as to his ethnicity I'd rather see an all new character developed rather than having Vibe come out as a gay man.
    Midnighter was a miniseries.

no, booster gold

Too bad. Well at least that saves me a bit of $$$ as I'm definitely going to give the Katana book a shot. So I guess we are still at a stage of progression where gay male characters are now allowed prominent positions on a few team books like Astonishing X-Men, Young Avengers, Stormwatch, and Earth 2, but are still not allowed pretty much to be allowed to have that starring role just yet.
    wow...so you were only interested just because he might be gay and once you found out he was going to be straight it fell off your radar?.....that seems pretty stupid to me

why the hell should anyone care if a character's gay or not and why should it affect anyone's decision on buying certain titles
    Pull: ASM MS.M Punisher SS AT MLP: FIM MLP: FF ANGR ANU UFF Loki

https://www.facebook.com/UltimateFF2014 (Unofficial Ultimate FF Page)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    No, it was an ongoing. First arc by Garth Ennis and then... Christos Gage?

Which gay characters do you think could carry their own book? I would be interested in a Bunker, but I can't think of anyone else other than Obsidian, pre-New 52. It's kind of a mute complain.
    Last edited by Kyle Anderson; 11-06-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    No, it was intended to be a mini at first but they kept it around for twenty issues, which is more than any of the New 52 books at this point. It wouldn't fill three trades if it was just a mini.

Unless you meant that lacklustre Dixon Grifter/Midnighter solo?

No, it was an ongoing. First arc by Garth Ennis and then... Christos Gage?
    It was Keith Giffen. Though Brian K Vaughan did one issue where the story ran in reverse to reflect Midnighter using his abilties to finding the outcome he wants, then working backwards to make it reality.

Which gay characters do you think could carry their own book? I would be interested in a Bunker, but I can't think of anyone else other than Obsidian, pre-New 52. It's kind of a mute complain.
    Alan Scott probably could if DC gave Earth 2 characters their own books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Probably, but I don't think they will publish a solo for a GL of an alternative Earth so soon.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Animal Man View Post
    wow...so you were only interested just because he might be gay and once you found out he was going to be straight it fell off your radar?.....that seems pretty stupid to me

why the hell should anyone care if a character's gay or not and why should it affect anyone's decision on buying certain titles
    With that mentality why not just have all comic book characters white and straight? Oh yeah, that's the way they've been largely for over a half a century. Only now is diversity encroaching into books more and more. Not all readers want to see only white and straight characters, many readers like to read diversity in their characters and books.

I......just don't see it with either one. They are both pretty much defined as supporting characters and I don't see the potential in either to be strong enough to carry even a mini-series, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Probably, but I don't think they will publish a solo for a GL of an alternative Earth so soon.
    I too think that The new Green Lantern of Earth 2 could hopefully eventually carry his own title. But that's dependent on if DC will ever allow the book to expand into solo spin-off's of any popular team characters. Although Dr. Fate has had his own book, but I'm pretty sure he was situated on Earth Prime at the time, and Wild Cat I think had a mini-series once? It's a really cool thought though.

It's still a bit frustrating to realize that characters in comics who happen to be gay are allowed now to exist in team books, but not yet in any starring positions for their own ongoings in a solo book. We still have some social progress to go before the readership is ready for that I guess.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)