Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Animal Man #14 Preview/Discussion

http://io9.com/5957741/a-sneak-previ...-of-animal-man

Preview is up and I spy with my little eye two Edge characters in there.

Looks great, I pray the rot is ended.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    http://io9.com/5957741/a-sneak-previ...-of-animal-man

Preview is up and I spy with my little eye two Edge characters in there.
    And with Funny Faust in-between :)

Read it and I enjoyed it as always.

Animal Man #14

Plot:

Buddy and pals get attacked by the Rot and make an interesting discovery that’ll start their new journey.

Our Hero:

Well you certainly do know how to do cross country trips Buddy.

Our Villain:

They are made of disgustingness.

Our Side Characters:

So what IS your deal Black Orchid? Wait, don’t stop now!

Action:

Now this is just messy.

Dialogue:

Constantine has a point there.

Art:

EWWWWW!!!

Most Memorable Moment:

Of how the little boys to find, you had to find him Maxine.

Final Page:

Monkeys with machine guns. This is the stuff of legends people.

What We Should Take from This Comic:

Maxine may still be alive or could be a trap. Either Buddy and crew set off to bring the battle to Arcane and his forces.

What We Do Take From This Comic:

Another journey? Buddy is going to be an expert at journeying after all this.

Yay or Nay?

Yay

Also, let’s count up everyone we see here: Hawk, Dove, Grifter, Deathstroke, Felix Faust, the Brain, and two other very familiar monkeys.

Bored with Post Life Jason456701's Avatar

Loved this issue man I keep forgetting Maxine is only four years old I keep thinking she is at least Damian or Jenny Quantum's age. Seriously Maxine throw broccoli or any plant at that little boy and then run run for your life.

Did anyone else feel that the selection of Rot-converted DC Characters was deliberate, i.e. a massive f**k you to Rob Liefield? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the dialogue with said characters, etc. just felt like a snide little jab (I'm not a fan of Liefield's by the way, but it seemed somewhat uncharacteristic for Lemire). Again, I may be reading too much into it, but it kind of tainted the action a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by sirjustin86 View Post
    Did anyone else feel that the selection of Rot-converted DC Characters was deliberate, i.e. a massive f**k you to Rob Liefield? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the dialogue with said characters, etc. just felt like a snide little jab (I'm not a fan of Liefield's by the way, but it seemed somewhat uncharacteristic for Lemire). Again, I may be reading too much into it, but it kind of tainted the action a bit.
    Bleeding Cool pointed that out too. No proof that it's what was intended, but Lemire is BFFs with Snyder, so it would make sense.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    Bleeding Cool pointed that out too. No proof that it's what was intended, but Lemire is BFFs with Snyder, so it would make sense.
    With the limited selection of 'massive balls/chuck norris' type of characters currently out right about now? Think it was more to show how extensive and successful the Rot has been. (Over in Swamp Thing TT gets stepped on, but I doubt its a deliberate stab at Lobdell)

I was thinking about dropping Animal Man before Rotworld, but I've completely changed my mind. This was a great issue, with horrifying art and a great story. I love how Animal Man is tying itself into all these other characters, both alive and possessed by the rot. I felt like I was reading a Justice League Dark issue crossover, which is a great thing.
    - Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
    Winston Churchill

I feel bad for Maxine, she's lost her family and her only companion is a magic talking cat.

How is William still in that dinner? I think it's been day's since Alec left him there, aren't the two time lines in Animal man and Swamp Thing synchronized?

Quote Originally Posted by drreneninja View Post
    I was thinking about dropping Animal Man before Rotworld, but I've completely changed my mind. This was a great issue, with horrifying art and a great story. I love how Animal Man is tying itself into all these other characters, both alive and possessed by the rot. I felt like I was reading a Justice League Dark issue crossover, which is a great thing.
    I agree. Swamp Thing is stronger overall I think (although Pugh sure draws a lot more horrific stuff). I reviewed it at the link in my signature.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    With the limited selection of 'massive balls/chuck norris' type of characters currently out right about now? Think it was more to show how extensive and successful the Rot has been. (Over in Swamp Thing TT gets stepped on, but I doubt its a deliberate stab at Lobdell)
    The Teen Titans are all connected however, in that they're a team. The characters Animal Man has encountered and defeated have all been connected by one thing: Liefield (Hawkman, Hawk, Dove, Grifter, Deathstroke). And the Beast Boy line ("I never liked you anyway, Grifter), seems more a jab at the character/Liefield than anything else, since in the nu-52, I'm fairly sure Beat Boy has been locked up in that Culling business the whole time and wouldn't have come across Grifter previously.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sirjustin86 View Post
    The Teen Titans are all connected however, in that they're a team. The characters Animal Man has encountered and defeated have all been connected by one thing: Liefield (Hawkman, Hawk, Dove, Grifter, Deathstroke). And the Beast Boy line ("I never liked you anyway, Grifter), seems more a jab at the character/Liefield than anything else, since in the nu-52, I'm fairly sure Beat Boy has been locked up in that Culling business the whole time and wouldn't have come across Grifter previously.
    A year has passed, so he could easily have met him.

Loved this issue and Swamp thing #14. Rotworld definitely took a major upswing this month.

Any thoughts on who's guarding Arcane's fortress? Rot-League maybe?
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

Strongest issue in a while. Loved the last page. This ish may just have rekindled my enthusiasm for this title, which, I have to admit has been waning.

I'm very curious to see what happens with this book after they wrap up the Rot storyline. I hope Arcane goes away for a long, long time. I'm already tired of him as a villain.

On a side note: I find it interesting that the Dark Line does super heroics so well. As far as super heroes go, Animal Man's doing it better than most of the mainline DC titles.
    If you're not reading Unwritten you should be.