Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Digging this so far

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    To each their own, but you got to admit, it's just nice to have a fun book in almost any DC line right now. We don't have enough fun book with good old superheroing anymore. It's always got to be something huge, edgy, and such, especially with the bat books.
    Speaking for myself, I've been reading Batman for almost 20 years now, so I pretty much need a new Batman book to be doing something new to retain my interest.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

I appreciate the hell out of the detective angle Layman is using. This issue had a mix of everything and a solid pace despite tying into several other titles. I think he's gonna build up some serious momentum if he's allowed. This team is already doing well in showing that dark doesn't have to be grim.

This was also the best Andy Clarke I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    To each their own, but you got to admit, it's just nice to have a fun book in almost any DC line right now. We don't have enough fun book with good old superheroing anymore. It's always got to be something huge, edgy, and such, especially with the bat books.
    I'm all for fun, but fun isn't enough. I also want novelty; I want to be surprised, and as long as I'm making demands I'd also like to think and feel.

For a start, I'm not a fan of Batman, or the whole street level superhero milieu. Done well, I'm into it, so long as it's deeply character focused (Gotham Central, Daredevil, etc). But when it comes to superhero action books on this street level, driven by plot and action? Generally not my thing.

That is what this book is. Now if it were doing something novel with the plot I MIGHT be interested in it, but it really isn't. Layman is executing things well, I think he's building a nice complex web of situation and interaction, he's doing some fun character work. But this issue was, at its core, about the Penguin wanting respect, and about Poison Ivy attacking polluters. I've seen that a billion times in a billion ways, and I've got no interest in it.

So this isn't an indictment of Layman. He's just not writing the kind of book that I want to read. I suspect a number of people would have said the same about Morrison's Batman, and probably do say the same about Lobdell's Red Hood.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Two issues in a row, Layman is still making this fun for the Penguin fans. I may have to subscribe to this comic.

I've seen that a billion times in a billion ways, and I've got no interest in it.
    *shrug*

I mean I don't remember very many Penguin vs Clayface occasions

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    *shrug*

I mean I don't remember very many Penguin vs Clayface occasions
    The specifics of it may be different, but the general shape of things is the same.

It really is okay. I'm not maligning the quality of this. I am glad people have something they enjoy, and that DC is making an effort to put out high quality stuff. Just in terms of basic craft and quality it is leaps and bounds ahead of what they were putting out before.

Not all stuff that is good is going to be for me. I'd like to think I'm open to anything that is GREAT or revolutionary or what have you, but good? That's going to depend on so many things!
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I will probably pick it up but it will need to be really good to keep me around. All these other Batman books (with the exception of Inc) really just pale in comparison to Snyder and Capullo.
    Yeah - really agree.

I picked up issue #013 on comiXology earlier to give this new writer a try... but so far none have held my attention like Snyder and Capullo. Really loving their work.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

I think Chew is my biggest problem here. That's the only other thing I've read from Layman, and it's a complete blast, just wonderfully psychotic, and this feels sooooo basic so far.
    I think Layman said in a CBR TV interview that he started off more conservative than what he wanted due to nervousness, but he's gotten better at it as his run continues. I doubt we'll get something quite as madcap as Chew in Detective, but I do think it's going to get crazier/funnier as it continues.

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I thought the dialogue was very good. Definitely my favorite book of the week, even if that image augmenting tech gives him migraines (you'd think that'd outweigh its use).

When I opened this issue I was expecting to hate it from the very first panel on. Boy was I surprised. First and foremost John Layman (whoever he is. Is he new?) writes some spectacular dialogue. Even when characters speak at great length it reads quite well. Usually I get impatient with lengthy dialogue, but here it’s melodic enough to keep it interesting.

Check out my review with pictures in the signature.
    With the migranes thing--my interpretation has always been that Bruce has a pathological need to be in control of both his mind and body, so if he needs to suffer pain to keep it that way, then that's the price he has to pay.

Also, read Chew. Like seriously. Right now.

[QUOTE=DarkKnghtJared;16126072With the migranes thing--my interpretation has always been that Bruce has a pathological need to be in control of both his mind and body, so if he needs to suffer pain to keep it that way, then that's the price he has to pay.

Also, read Chew. Like seriously. Right now.[/QUOTE]

I've read the first two arcs in Chew and got a little bored with it. Loved it up until the end though.

On your point about Bruce being pathological, you're probably right and that's a good point. Maybe if Layman pointed to this or insinuated it more clearly I would have thought of that myself.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Annnd, dropped.

Nothing wrong with it. Nice to see that the whole line is good, and with a distinct flavor to each book.

But fun, inconsequential, by the numbers Batman books - well executed or not - just aren't my thing.
    Pretty much this. I found this issue to be pretty "meh." I may pick up the next just to see where it's going but while this ish was by no means bad, it wasn't really all that compelling. Neither the art nor the writing really grabbed me.

Major props for "fighting featherweights" though. Great line. <grin>
    If you're not reading Unwritten you should be.

This did nothing for me at all. I liked the idea that Ivy's powers shift with nature, but that's it. The dialogue for Damian and Bruce was bizarre, it was almost like everything Bruce said was in "Damian-speak," while Damian's lines were completely inappropriate. The story was not very interesting and far less creative and inspired than I expected from Layman. Fabok's art is decent but nothing that is going to make me pick the book up just based on that. Dropped. I mean, it wasn't horrible but is just not worth my money, especially four bucks.
    True,it felt like a better written version of Jenkins/Finch TDK series,or maybe I came to that conclusion because of the cliffhanger(which I felt was kinda stupid).

However I'm pleased to see that we can have a normal batbook,the kind that does'nt earth shattering,foundation shaking stories every other issue.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    True,it felt like a better written version of Jenkins/Finch TDK series,or maybe I came to that conclusion because of the cliffhanger(which I felt was kinda stupid).
    Yep. I feel like this and The Dark Knight are pretty much the same thing right now. You can make the argument that this is more based on crime while TDK is more based on villain psychology, but neither title is doing super compelling stuff in those regards, and stylistically they are sooooo similar.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Yep. I feel like this and The Dark Knight are pretty much the same thing right now. You can make the argument that this is more based on crime while TDK is more based on villain psychology, but neither title is doing super compelling stuff in those regards, and stylistically they are sooooo similar.
    Haha, what? No. The Dark Knight is a deeply dark, sadistic look at psychosis.

This is a fun crime book.

They have almost nothing in common.

Yeah...that's pretty much just going by the similar visuals there.

I think Layman is worth a little more patience. I can't think of anyone who's done better with Batman in their very first two issues.