Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I dunno. I think it's unfair to say Tomasi always has Damian's voice off, it's sort of a mixed bag for me, sometimes he gets it right, sometimes he doesn't and so that gets a little jarring. It's like this preview, most of it is fine with Damian's dialogue, it just inserts things like "yeah", "geez", "too bad", common enough phrases, but they're not stuff Damian would say, he's not a common or normal kid.

Maybe it doesn't bother some people who are just thinking I and other people are being a little too obsessed about this, but Damian is my favourite character and so yeah I guess I take this pretty seriously. You wouldn't have Ra's Al Ghul go around greeting people with a "hey dude".

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Even so (which I don't think is necessarily true, I think Nicieza, Miller, and Cornell wrote him just fine),
    Byran Q Miller did, yes.

Every single other writer did not, no. Including Cornell, whose voice was as off as anyones. Oddly JT Krul's Damian was more 'on point' than Cornell's, though it too was wrong.

I'm saying I think Tomasi's Damian in Batman and Robin has become practically the definitive take on how he's written in the New 52.
    It's not, of course, and it isn't the stance anyone else would take. It's ludicrous to think that anyone is going to take Tomasi's work as more definitive than MOrrison's work; their comparative statures as writers assures that.

What we are seeing here is the same problem we've been seeing since the character was introduced. For whatever reason, writers are completely incapable.

Also, I think the fact that other writers couldn't grasp him before the relaunch is all the more why Tomasi's Damian is spreading out.
    Again, it's not "Tomasi's Damian". It's just what everyone did because they can't get the actual Damian's voice down.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

The preview was cool. I have no idea what Damian is supposed to sound like so this interpretation didn't bother me. I did like the set up for Batman's revenge on Penguin and of course, Bruce falls into the arms of a beautiful party goer.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    It's not, of course, and it isn't the stance anyone else would take. It's ludicrous to think that anyone is going to take Tomasi's work as more definitive than MOrrison's work; their comparative statures as writers assures that.
    But I think the relaunch pretty much sets a new precedent and tone that the rest would follow from. Morrison didn't get to return to Damian until eight months later.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    You wouldn't have Ra's Al Ghul go around greeting people with a "hey dude".
    LOL NEW MEME

"'Sup, Detective?"
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

While I thought you could've traded Bruce and Damian's dialogue, it didn't take away from my enjoyment. This is a fun, funny and well-thought scenario and I really like it. It's right in the Penguin's wheelhouse. While I'm a little disappointed we didn't get so much of a "WAUK" out of Penguin last issue, at least the scenario is right on.

I am a little aggrieved that Penguin didn't seem smart enough to be the opportunist. I mean, he's the legendary Gotham criminal from the 1940s and his hired help is looking like the brains. But we already know Layman has laid down some real plans for Ogilvey to be a tour-guide through the Gotham underworld, and that Ogilvey is a guy to watch.

Damian does look a little older. So it goes. Stylistically speaking, not every writer or artist will lay down the same imagery. In the 70s and 80s there was really that "Standard" that all the post-Adams/Aparo artists really adhered to, but before that you could find some varying artistic depictions of Dick Grayson and even Bruce Wayne. And as for authorial voice, that's always been the case in every single writing transition ever recorded.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Voice seemed fine to me. "Height of tedium" sounds pretty Damien-ish as is his attitude of wanting to be aggressive and launch an immediate attack while Bruce calms him down and plays the wise general.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

I don't know. Any kid Damian's age is going to try to emulate their peers. No matter how unique he is, the more he hangs out with normal speaking kids, the more he's going to take on their way of speaking. To think that one or two words or phrases makes or breaks his character is mind boggling, to me. His line of thinking in that scene seems 100% like Damian.

Cool preview.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    I don't know. Any kid Damian's age is going to try to emulate their peers. No matter how unique he is, the more he hangs out with normal speaking kids, the more he's going to take on their way of speaking. To think that one or two words or phrases makes or breaks his character is mind boggling, to me. His line of thinking in that scene seems 100% like Damian.
    does damian believe he has peers?
    Grandparents dead - please no jokes

make mine DC, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoughNTumble View Post
    This.

But yeah it's not just here, it's almost every line Damian's had post relaunch (not written by morrison, obviously). I really dont' see the issue. When it comes to dialogue he's kid Ra's. Its not that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Whip Whirlwind View Post
    This.

But yeah it's not just here, it's almost every line Damian's had post relaunch (not written by morrison, obviously). I really dont' see the issue. When it comes to dialogue he's kid Ra's. Its not that difficult.
    Yup.

Motivation/content is another thing entirely -- he's still a child, albeit a genius child, so the occasional childish sentiment is of course normal.

But in terms of diction and syntax, if it isn't appropriate for Doctor Doom or Raz Al Ghul, it isn't appropriate for Damian.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    http://www.newsarama.com/php/multime....php?aid=47973

I'm finding it increasingly perplexing that NO ONE can capture Damian's voice, in even the most superficial ways.

I mean really, that dialogue could be fixed with just a few alterations (cut out the "geez", "too bad" becomes "a shame", "behind bars" becomes "rotting in a cell", "yeah" becomes "indeed" or is ommitted entirely, etc) and yet they make all the difference.

I just don't understand.

Otherwise looks good.
    The key to good Damian dialogue is "less is more."

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoughNTumble View Post
    No. That doesn't mean he doesn't have them, though. And that doesn't mean their ways of speaking wouldn't subconsciously rub off on him.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    No. That doesn't mean he doesn't have them, though. And that doesn't mean their ways of speaking wouldn't subconsciously rub off on him.
    How? He never hangs around with any of his peers. His company is an English butler and a grown man who has dedicated his life to making the world a better place one punch at a time.