Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Spoken like a true Aquafan.

I'd rather be reading Aquaman than Superman right now.
    How about that?
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I beg to differ my friend, there already was a beginning for Kreisberg: Green Arrow & Black Canary, he turned a mediocre book into something even worse. I'm willing to give him another chance but comparing him to Johns is ridiculous.

Pete Woods is cool though.
    Stars and STRIPE wasn't that great a series and that was where Johns started.

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post

Because it's a shorting of vibrator to most people, yes he does.
    I missed this part.
    And no, "vibe" is not a short of "vibrator". I've never heard anyone personally or in pop culture refer to a vibrator as "vibe".
    I tend to hear the word used in reference to pre-cognitive notions of danger like a 7th sense or spidey-sense, i.e. "That guy is putting out tons of bad vibes."

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveVibe View Post
    are people that afraid of something new...I mean should we just ask DC to only print Bats, Supes, and WW books?
    Haaaaaaaaa! Wonder Woman only has one book.

Oscar Wilde

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Stars and STRIPE wasn't that great a series and that was where Johns started.
    I thought it was solid and definitely better than Kreisberg's GA work.

But as I said, I'm all for second chances so I will try to be optimistic.

First of all, I was suprised by the announcement of both a Vibe and a Katana series. Im definately getting katana. The art looks solid and I would give nocenti a chance. Besides, this could fill in the gap for Manhunter. I miss Kate Spencer! Anyway, could be quite interesting. I like this version Katana.

Vibe. Oh boy. What do I say? Its, um, Vibe. Really? Ummm why? I will pick up the first ussue but I just dont get it! Ill be eating my words if this somehow becomes a runaway hit. All we need is a Vibe live action movie to kill any credibility that comics can be cool.

a curious wanderer OBrianTallent's Avatar

There have been tons of people almost begging for books...or even just appearances of Wally West, Donna Troy, Stephanie Brown, Cass Cain. NO ONE has eve thought to ask for Vibe. Yet he gets not just an appearance, but membership in JLA AND a freakin' book. sigh.

Katana could be quite awesome though.
    Not all who wander are lost....

I'll give Vibe a chance for sure, but Katana would have to really blow me away to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    There have been tons of people almost begging for books...or even just appearances of Wally West, Donna Troy, Stephanie Brown, Cass Cain. NO ONE has eve thought to ask for Vibe. Yet he gets not just an appearance, but membership in JLA AND a freakin' book. sigh.

I would give anything for any of the above four over vibe. But make earthquakes out of lemons, I guess.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post

Not tons. There's like 20 very loud online fans for each. A little more for Wally West.
    I would be interested in a book with Wally West, but I can't imagine a book about Donna Troy or Stephanie Brown/Cass Cain where they are not Batgirl selling more than a Vibe book. Wonder Woman used to sell crappy numbers. How would her confusing, no secret identity former sidekick sell more?

Booster Gold, the Spectre, Steel, Shazam, Cyborg. Those are guys you could say would sell more, at least initially.
    Last edited by Kyle Anderson; 11-06-2012 at 11:56 AM.

BANNED

Btw, stop me if you heard this story before: comics fans complain constantly about lack of diversity. Comic book company puts out a book about a latin character and another about a japanese one. Comic book fans complain non stop.

To all those flabberghasted at the new Katana/Vibe books, think about it a moment...

Characters like Wally, Shazam, etc...there are certain preconceived notions from the fans. It's much harder to create a good book around those characters that pleases everyone, new readers and old readers, then it is to create new books for nothing characters with fans who have little to no preconceptions about what it SHOULD be about or how they SHOULD be portrayed.

Moreover, when they launch a Shazam book (for example) they know that the sales potential on that book is going to be very, very high. We aren't dealing with a fringe character there. So they are going to want to make sure they have a relatively big name - up and coming but big name - creative team on that book to do everything they can to make it successful.

Comparatively speaking, books like Threshold, Katana and Vibe are sort of 'throwing it against the wall, see if anything sticks'. I don't think a lot of work or thought was put into picking the talent there, because I don't think DC really believes that talent has much to do with the success or failure of a book outside of a select few creators. Their philosophy here is clearly expect that these books will fail and be canceled, but wouldn't it be nice if for whatever reason some special magic was born and one of them was successful?

They can't afford to play that game on books with a bigger profit potential.

So you'll get books like this, until they can align the right team to take over "Shazam", "Booster Gold", etc.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I'm likely to give both of these comics a shot because of the unlikely nature of the lead characters. It's not the diversity (an extra bonus, but not the actual reason), it's the unlikely notion that either of these guys should be leads. The fact that neither of them have ever been lead characters means they have more of a clean slate than the more obvious choices. That kind of freedom is intriguing. I will happily give both Vibe and Katana comics a try.

You could say that in a way. But with Katana and Vibe, I can't think of another opportunity for both of these characters to launch their solo ongoing ever. I may be wrong, but I don't recall ever seeing a solo ongoing with Katana or Vibe since the day they were created. Now with the big push for JLA, it seems like this is the perfect opportunity to launch a solo book for Vibe and Katana if ever. Both books would probably tie into JLA and would have a considerable push for their solo ongoings. DC is a company that emphasize lots on their solo character's development in their own book. They may have been seen as "throwing it against the wall" but if DC don't take chances like that we would never have had the much beloved Power girl series or OMAC. Even Zatanna was able to get a solo ongoing after being created for years. Sure both Vibe and Katana are not as high profile as characters like Power girl or Zatanna, but now that they're being featured prominently in JLA, this could exponentially increase their status.
    I do agree that titles like Shazam, Booster Gold or Cyborg are waiting for the right team and the right time.

I read somewhere that Vibe will have Dale Gunn recruiting him, if this is true I hope it leads to the re-emergence of Hank Haywood as the patriotic cyborg
    Steel-he was a good character that got bunched into the disaster that was the Detroit League, he never should have been killed off the way he was.