Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Wonder Womans future...What do you see in it...?

How can she as a character grow/evolve/progress/improve or move in a new direction ?

And what about marketability and franchise ?

Basically, Whats next for Wondy? Or what would you like next for her.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
    How can she as a character grow/evolve/progress/improve or move in a new direction ?

And what about marketability and franchise ?

Basically, Whats next for Wondy? Or what would you like next for her.
    Humanity.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

Quote Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
    She was doing all of the above a few months ago.

Then DC decided to relegate her to Superman's plaything. I think her future looks pretty bleak right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Brotha View Post
    She was doing all of the above a few months ago.

Then DC decided to relegate her to Superman's plaything. I think her future looks pretty bleak right now.
    Nah. If DC tied her strongly to Superman, some of his fans will occasionally pick her books up as well. DC has been pulling some marketing strategies a lot lately. I don't know if it will work with comics but those are normal marketing strategies which should be fine.

pants would be nice

I don't really put too much thought into it. I know her comic isn't going away, so I guess the only certanty is that there will be another Wonder Woman story every month.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewing_A23 View Post
    Nah. If DC tied her strongly to Superman, some of his fans will occasionally pick her books up as well. DC has been pulling some marketing strategies a lot lately. I don't know if it will work with comics but those are normal marketing strategies which should be fine.
    That would seem to imply that she's not capable of standing on her own merits and needs to be affiliated with another character to be successful despite the fact that her book is one of the most critically acclaimed and fan favorite titles that the New 52 has produced (unlike Superman's eponymous title).

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Brotha View Post
    That would seem to imply that she's not capable of standing on her own merits and needs to be affiliated with another character to be successful despite the fact that her book is one of the most critically acclaimed and fan favorite titles that the New 52 has produced (unlike Superman's eponymous title).
    And yet Superman is having more sales than her. Quality is just one factor for people picking up books. Character and personal favourite is another; that's why DC is trying to tie everything to Batman. Some of Bat-fan are goin to pick the books up because of Batman, though it doesn't mean that the books are bad.

Her title has sold well, and been a critical darling, for over a year. And the kiss with Superman, which so many fans are blowing out of proportion, is only getting her more attention. I think the next step would be for DC to spin her into a mini-series, with a creative team that would (and could) follow that up with a strong secondary monthly title if the mini did well. So for me, that would be the next step. A mini leading (hopefully) into a new regular title (Sensation, natch!)

On a larger scale? You have to get her out into popular media. I'd like to see a live action television show. I know everyone is all about the movies but television offers the chance to really dig into her character and world and explore those places in depth. I know the CW is working on one, and while I still shy away from the idea for obvious reasons, Arrow has been surprisingly good. So with luck, that show will happen and be worth watching. I have my doubts, but as I cannot see the future I will reserve judgement.

Or maybe try a web series. That way, DC Entertainment can do its thing without having to deal with a network, producers, and all the other outside sources that can derail a good idea. It might not work out, but might be worth a try. Animation would likely be the best bet here, though I would prefer something smoother and less "web series" than what DC normally does (Super BFF's, Titans, ect).

Of course, a cartoon would be perfect too. Comics are like drugs. You want to get them hooked when they're young. So something aimed at the same demographic as Batman's the Brave and the Bold. Something for kids, not us old bastard fans.

Should the JLA movie get off the ground, not suck, and warrant spin-offs, (all very big if's given WB's record) I suspect Diana will be one of the first to get a solo feature. Likely after Flash, but before the Green Lantern relaunch or Aquaman.

So I guess the next steps are second comic, live action/cartoon show, possible movie.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewing_A23 View Post
    Why, if he is not in them?
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Why, if he is not in them?
    Because they might become interested in the character through reading the relationship in JL or Superman. It exposes people to the character and if they like it, they may pick up her book or even trades of older stories. I think we'll actually see the biggest jump in regards to this in the Earth One book, which is continuity-free and would be ideal for those exposed to the character from one of the non-main titles.

EDIT: Basically, anytime someone reads the WW/Supes relationship and then thinks "I like that WW and want to understand her better/read more stories/see her kicking more ass", that person is a potential new reader for the main WW book.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    EDIT: Basically, anytime someone reads the WW/Supes relationship and then thinks "I like that WW and want to understand her better/read more stories/see her kicking more ass", that person is a potential new reader for the main WW book.
    The problem is, the reader who comes to the Wonder Woman title looking for that is probably only going to be disappointed by its pace and tone.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Thats a pessimistic attitude isnt it? Granted, a reader may come over from Superman expecting something closer to that tone and style, but I think most fans know enough to know that each book is, has to be, different. And even if they come over expecting big explosions and fights every issue, its not to say they wont enjoy what the book actually is. As far as I know, reviews and sales are still strong so it must be resonating with many readers.

Its sort of like this. I first read about Green Lantern during the Reign of the Supermen story, where Hal showed up in one of Clark's books after the destruction of Coast City. That appearance made me get into GL, and even though Kyle took over a few months later and his was a different type of book, I really enjoyed it and followed along for years until Winnick screwed it up.

And why does everyone think Diana will become Superman's arm candy? Why doesnt anyone think Clark might become her's? Isnt that sort of telling? The reaction to that kiss amazes me. SO many people have overreacted.

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    Thats a pessimistic attitude isnt it? Granted, a reader may come over from Superman expecting something closer to that tone and style, but I think most fans know enough to know that each book is, has to be, different. And even if they come over expecting big explosions and fights every issue, its not to say they wont enjoy what the book actually is. As far as I know, reviews and sales are still strong so it must be resonating with many readers.

Its sort of like this. I first read about Green Lantern during the Reign of the Supermen story, where Hal showed up in one of Clark's books after the destruction of Coast City. That appearance made me get into GL, and even though Kyle took over a few months later and his was a different type of book, I really enjoyed it and followed along for years until Winnick screwed it up.

And why does everyone think Diana will become Superman's arm candy? Why doesnt anyone think Clark might become her's? Isnt that sort of telling? The reaction to that kiss amazes me. SO many people have overreacted.
    Part of it has to do with how it was announced on national news - one source announced that 'Superman's got a new girlfriend' and another was something like 'Wonder Woman is Superman's new Sidekick.' (one of these, btw, was Good Morning America. I can't remember what the other was, but it was an equally prominent national media outlet)

DC makes the announcements and issues the press releases, but the initial 'translation' was all about Superman with Diana in the girlfriend/sidekick role.

I *hope* that's not how it turns out, but it does lead to be a bit concerned.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    On a larger scale? You have to get her out into popular media. I'd like to see a live action television show. I know everyone is all about the movies but television offers the chance to really dig into her character and world and explore those places in depth. I know the CW is working on one
    Of course, a cartoon would be perfect too. Comics are like drugs. You want to get them hooked when they're young. So something aimed at the same demographic as Batman's the Brave and the Bold. Something for kids, not us old bastard fans.
    I'm definitely more in favor of a cartoon. I think it depends on the target demographic, but I think if DC is smart, they'll try to target the adolescent girl demographic rather than the...young adult woman demographic or whatever a live action TV show would be targeted at. And of course, a cartoon would fit that role better. That way, they can establish the character to the youth, which I think is vital.

If DC really wants to promote her, they'd be smart to have Rocksteady make a WW video game in the same manner as the Arkham games. But give it a more bright, adventurous feel on Themyscira or maybe delve in to some Greek mythology, etc.

As for her comic life, well...ehh, not sure. I'm interested to see her role in JL post-Cheetah arc. I think regardless of how she is portrayed in her own book and how good the book is, it is ultimately her appearances in major titles like JL that'll garner wider attention. So, it seems like Johns is in more control of how she'll be perceived, imo, than whoever is writing her book. At least how she is perceived the general comic reading audience.

But none of that is actually what I think will happen in her future. I don't think it looks like she'll be catapulting to the levels of Superman or Spider-Man or Wolverine, etc. She'll probably continue to be the biggest female comic superhero in the world. Despite some efforts, DC doesn't seem to be putting their best foot forward to give her the attention she arguably should get. She'll probably be on the cover of the Injustice game, still have attempted TV shows or what not. But I don't see any major solo movies or video games on the horizon to really bring her back to prominence.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison