Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default How do you pick your Avengers NOW comic?

It's no secret that the avengers are featuring prominently in NOW and I was just wondering which ones you are getting, trying, avoiding and your reasons why.
    I'm gonna try issue 1 of secret avengers. From now on, when the solitcs come I'm just gonna write up how much it will cost me for £20. Hopefully, with all the change amassed ( I need to cut back on crap like cooplands) I can get more.
    The secret line-up is great, but black widows the biggest draw.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

How do I pick an Avengers NOW book?

1. Look for Hickman's name.
    2. Pick it up.
    3. Pay for it.

Or alternatively-

1. Look for Remender's name
    2. Avoid it
    3. Look for Sam Fury
    4. Avoid it
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Good thread topic as I'm having a time trying to pull together a definitive Avengers NOW list myself.

Avengers - So far I've preordered this. I've done so becuase I'm a sucker for Marvel's A-list properties. Also, the creative team is supposed to be grand, so I'm being suckered in enough to give this book at least a few issues.

New Avengers - If I end up pulling this one it'll mostly be due to the cast. Plus, Jonathan Hickman would probably excel at writing a bunch of know-it-alls. lol

Young Avengers - I'm not into youth characters, so this book has a snowballs chance in hell of me pulling it.

Uncanny Avengers - I heavily dislike the creative team, so I won't be continuing with this one. Too bad because I like the concept of Avengers and X-Men fight shared baddies side-by-side.

A+X - A few of these issues I've preordered so far. I'm going to need a few issues to judge whether or not I'll pull it for the longspan.
    Marvel, STOP writing for the Trade so I can go back to collecting Monthlies again. Thanks.

Make sure they have character's I'm interested in. Read before I buy them. I read the point one so Young Avengers is a must. I'm considering the new Thor series. Haven't seen enough of Avengers to make a decision.

I forgot to mention avoid a concept I don't like such as Avengers Arena.
    Last edited by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE; 11-04-2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: update

I buy every book that has Avengers name on it's title.

Part II (because CBR caused me to post before I was even finished and I can't even edit that post. ):

Avengers Arena - Again I don't really like youth characters, so I'll pass on this although I must say that I'm mildly intrigued. I mean, as much fun as it could be to read about a bunch of characters I dislike mowing each other down, I'll still have to avoid.

Avenger Assemble - This writer doesn't hold my interest.

Avenging Spider-Man - Hoping to start pulling this series regularly again and I'm excited for Chris Yost as regular series writer.

Secret Avengers - I won't buy anything written by Nick Spencer. It is what it is.

Dark Avengers - Not sure why I should buy it.
    Last edited by Hulk_Is; 11-04-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    Marvel, STOP writing for the Trade so I can go back to collecting Monthlies again. Thanks.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    It's no secret that the avengers are featuring prominently in NOW and I was just wondering which ones you are getting, trying, avoiding and your reasons why.
    I'm gonna try issue 1 of secret avengers. From now on, when the solitcs come I'm just gonna write up how much it will cost me for £20. Hopefully, with all the change amassed ( I need to cut back on crap like cooplands) I can get more.
    Look at this like this,

Avengers- Has some of the best creators in the business. However, it's $3.99 and will double ship. I will get this because I can afford it and anything with Hickman is a definite buy.
    New Avengers- Same as above but will not double ship. I will get his for reasons above.
    Uncanny Avengers- Same as above but appears to have the reverse problem of not coming out on time (Cassaday can be very slow). Whenever it comes out I will get it.
    Avengers Assemble- Should be cancelled as far as i'm concerned.
    Young Avengers- I don't have much interest in this book. I haven't enjoyed teen exclusive books since Generation X. I will try out the first issue though. I think this will be $2.99 too.
    Avengers Arena- I will definitely get this. I love stories that have lots of tension and where the stakes are real. Not to mention Hopeless's A definite must buy and I believe its $2.99
    Secret Avengers- Has an excellent premise but I'm not so sure about Nick Spencer's Marvel work. It's been very hit and miss so far (Iron Man 2.0 was a total misfire IMO). I'm not sure what the price will be.

So, it's basically a trade off between price and the creators involved.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

I'm buying everything except Assemble and Arena. Both because I don't really dig the premise. As for the ones I am buying, the creative teams are just too good not to get them.
    Comics are more better.

I will be getting the most important Avengers titles,Uncanny Avengers and Avengers.
    First because these are titles which will have a significant importance in this new phase of Marvel,those titles have tons of characters i enjoy reading about (Thor,Havok,Scarlet Witch,Cannonball,Shang Chi,Wolverine...)
    And Uncanny Avengers being writen bt Remender which have been a great writer at Marvel and being illustrated by Cassady makes buying this title a no brainer to me.
    Avengers by Hickman looks promising and is illustrated by Opena which is one of my favorites artist,so another easy choice to be a title i will be getting as well.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Default Solo Avengers Titles

Captain America - This is one of the relaunched titles I looked forward to most, but now my interest has severely waned due to the writer. (This'll be the first time in history where I don't find JRJr's art to be the biggest offense.) After the first issue arrives I believe I'll be through with the series, unless I'm somehow impressed to want subsequent issues.

Iron Man - Will be pulling this indefinitely. Not even Greg Land's art will turn me away (well, at least for a little while. )

Indestructible Hulk - Not a fan of 90+% of this NOW series concepts. I like that the Hulk is still green though.

Thor God Of Thunder - Something about this new NOW series just isn't working for me. That said, I believe that I've preordered the first two issues. I like Thor so it warrants a try, doesn't it?

I'm mostly just pulling my Avengers NOW books based on what I can for now until this all slows down and settles in.
    Last edited by Hulk_Is; 11-05-2012 at 12:00 AM.

I just look for the characters I want to follow.

Avengers: Nat, Sam, Steve
    Uncanny Avengers: Wanda, Steve, Alex
    Avengers Assemble: Nat, Steve
    Young Avengers: Kate, Noh, Teddy
    Secret Avengers: Nat, Maria
    Avengers Arena: the reason SB/DB is crying all over the boards this week.

I'll be getting New Avengers too because I'm sure the story will be important in the overall structure of things.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

New Avengers: Black Panther
    Secret Avengers: Black Widow, Mac & Cheese
    Avengers: Opena

There you go

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

WILL 100% BUY, AND ALWAYS BUY... SOOOO EXCITED!!!
    > Dark Avengers by Jeff Parker
    Moonstone... nuff said. Add = I love Jeff Parker's work on this team, and really enjoy Ai Apaec, U.S Agent, Trickshot and Dr. June Covington... there is no reason under the sun I would ever not buy this.
    > Thunderbolts by Daniel Way
    Thunderbolts is "my team", always has been. I love Agent Venom, enjoy Elektra and Red Hulk, and while I find Way's Deadpool very shallow, I also think it's a lot of fun... so hey, I'm all on-board. Plus, adding the Leader as a team member is soooo interesting! I like the red covers too. Mwwwhahaha! Everyone needs a guilty pleasure now and then.
    > Young Avengers by Kieron Gillen
    I love Wiccan. I love Kid Loki. And I love Kieron Gillen. Already this is a match made in heaven. Add Kate Bishop, Noh-Var, Hulkling and the glorious Miss America Charvaz... and some gorgeous art, great concept... honestly this comic has NO flaws. Great cast, great writer, great concept, great art. I cannot wait!!!

WILL TRY
    > New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman
    Hickman writing T'Challa sounds epic; and include the wonderful Namor makes me so happy... the rest of his cast is less impressive. No women (even though Abigail Brand makes more sense than nearly all the rest), and no LGBT characters... and no Doctor Voodoo. So I'll totally try it for T'Challa and Namor... but it needs to be AMAZING to keep me.
    > Secret Avengers by Nick Spencer
    I like the idea of the comic, I like the cast (minus the horrible idea that is Marcus Johnson); but nothing is "grabbing" me yet. I don't think I know Spencer's work, so I will happily give it a go; and hope I am surprised.

ALREADY DROPPED
    > Uncanny Avengers by Rick Remender
    While I think the pairing of Remender and Cassady is sinfully glorious, I found the first issue utterly unlikeable. Wolverine is THE WORST person to speak at any funeral, Wanda (who I loved under Heinberg and Busiek's pen) was a smug, unlikeable b*tch here. And it also stars the mutant hating/gay bashing Steve Rogers. I love Wolverine under Remender in Uncanny X-force, but here he was offensive. Biggest disappointment of Marvel NOW! to date.

I DON'T CARE HOW GOOD THE REVIEWS ARE, I WILL NEVER BUY THESE!!!
    > Avengers by Jonathan Hickman
    22 slots, and yet he's still made such a boring cast. How is that even possible??? I think it's waaaay too many characters to make any story work without a) ignoring most your cast, or b) substituting character work, for plotting. His choices are nearly all uninspiring, and the fact that we know at-least 18 members NONE OF WHICH are LGBT... Hickman went on record saying he'd add more diversity... I guess he falls into the "diversity only means skin colour" camp. Epic fail, Hickman, and once again the Avengers main teams have no LGBT characters. Surprise, surprise... and yet it's the X-verse that gets accused of being bad on diversity. Puuuur-lease!
    > Avengers Arena by don't know, don't care!!!
    As if!

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I always keep my pull list to 10 comics, not for money reasons, but purely keeping it at 10 means I am ALWAYS getting comics I love, avoiding the trap of supporting out of habit rather than love. It also means that any new comic must REALLY shine, to make me bump out one of my ten. A little competition never hurt anyone.

I pick my comics by: (in order)
    1) THE CAST. I need to have someone on the team I adore, and at-least one other I really enjoy. There is no one character that would prevent me from getting a team comic (obviously I don't buy solo series of a character I don't enjoy)... but a completely new team would need a great writer for me to give them a go (SEE: Agents of Atlas)
    2) THE WRITER. If it's Rick Remender, Jeff Parker, Warren Ellis or Kieron Gillen, I'll probably give it a look; since I always find their work worth reading. If it's by Loeb, I will never read it; and Matt Fraction, Christos Gage and Brian Michael Bendis have really left me very unimpressed recently (so I would have to love MOST of the team, to try their comic -- an example of this is if Bendis IS doing a Dark X-men comic with Emma, Storm and Magneto... then yes, I'd give that a go).

That's really it. I love various artists, but I would never pick up a comic just for them (nor drop a comic, unless it's that awful ani-manga-art). So while art matters a great deal, it doesnt' effect my pull list. And "Story/Concept" is down to the writer; so I lump that in with "good writers."
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 11-05-2012 at 04:21 AM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

BANNED

I just pick up any ongoing Avengers title, and most of the mini's. Always have done. I've got a complete run of every Avengers ongoing ever published so I'm not going to start picking and choosing now.

Wallace Likes It That Way Deus ex Chris's Avatar

I'll be trying Avengers, New Avengers and Young Avengers based entirely on the creative teams. Avengers:Arena has a fun premise and a solid creative team, so I'll be getting that as well. I wasn't planning to go for any others until I saw the Thor preview. It's just too beautiful to pass up.

I'll also try the "fearless" book, assuming it's what it seems to be. If if is, I'd expect it under the Avengers banner (which is why it's part of this convo).