Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by coldwarmyth View Post
    1) my budget has to get reigned in, so that dictates what I will read
    2) Character
    3) Artist/Writer

So far, on board with Captain America until Remender pushes me away (I haven't liked a single piece of Remender's work, but I LIKE what he's said about this book. JRJr, I hope the art improves as the issues continue.)

Also trying JiM because I dig the art and Sif going berserker sounds great.

Avoiding all the Avengers team books except for one issue of Dark Avengers. Not a team book person for the most part...

Hickman rubs me the wrong way and I can't afford 3 titles a month, esp. not with 20+ characters I'm not into.

Honestly with the announcement of Lemire and his I, Vampire artist on Green Arrow as of February, Marvel has to do an awful lot to keep me onboard as those two working on one of my all time favorite characters has my attention, my $ and then some.

Im intrigued by that annoucement myself, do you think i can get that book even if i already pull hawkeye? Because both of them are archers and use trickarrows. Loved the art of the first trade of "I, Vampire" by Sorrentino.

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

Quote Originally Posted by Bernoulli View Post
    Im intrigued by that annoucement myself, do you think i can get that book even if i already pull hawkeye? Because both of them are archers and use trickarrows. Loved the art of the first trade of "I, Vampire" by Sorrentino.
    Buying Hawkeye and Green Arrow? Sure. Especially if you love Sorrentino's art. I think the tone of the two books will be very different. Clint is very much on the beat in NYC with Kate - not hunting but definitely doing his thing without the Avengers. Plus there is that great humor, a neat 70s style film vibe and beautiful art by Aja (when he's on the book.)

Ollie being a hunter seems much more in line with the Arrow tv series (not a bad thing imo): very modern, dark and a bit more intense (think predator hunting its prey.) Plus, they are both $2.99, so if you can swing both, you may enjoy them.

Who squeezed the Shaman?

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    But don't you get a bit upset that all those kids are now taking a backseat to the JGS kids like QQ? Many of whom haven't faced nearly as bad trials as those kids have? That's what annoys me. They go through so much, then bye bye, these new brats need the facetime.
    Not really; they are taking a back seat in ONE comic; which I don't buy. Anole, Hellion, Rockslide, Surge and Dust have made their mark enough, and continue to get used that they will outlive most of these new X-kids. I'm not planning on going anywhere, so I can wait it out, and in the meantime focus on other characters who've been out the limelight a bit (i.e. Wiccan). Wait till Aaron's run is over and see out of the two groups who sticks around!

I use him cause he has the easiest lives of the Marvel teenagers. You would be freaking out if he was put in Arena and could die from anything from X-23 stabbing or some new character leaving his mark.
    a) I don't "freak out" when a character I love dies. I get sad, but I often am very okay with it (because it's comics... more often than not, they WILL be back). When Fantomex died I wasn't "happy" BUT I also thought he got an epic hero's death, one which was very moving. When Doctor Voodoo "died" I was one of the few calm ones, because I knew it was clearly part II of 3, and Jericho was the Han Solo of the arc... and oh look, I was right!
    b) I ADORE THAT PICTURE! It's hilarious! (and true... but hilarious nonetheless)
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    I just pick up any ongoing Avengers title, and most of the mini's. Always have done. I've got a complete run of every Avengers ongoing ever published so I'm not going to start picking and choosing now.
    Me too. And there are a bunch of things that suck in there. But how can a collection be complete if you pick and choose?
    I'll buy them all and be smiling.

Oh god leave it to SD to sabotage a thread.
    Anyway turns out most of my pullist is from the avengers side.
    -Avengers Arena:I'm getting it for 3 main reasons:
    1.X-23
    2.Laura
    3.Equis Veintitres
    -Avengers:This sounds freaking amazing.The most stand-out characters for me are Cannonball,Hyperion and the 2 new female characters.The rotating art thing is also very cool.
    -Uncanny Avengers:Really diggin' it so far.Just please take out Cassaday from the book.
    -Young Avengers:Noh Varr.The creative team is gold.

From the solos I'm getting Cap,Thor and Hulk.Might also get Superior Spidey.
    I THINK I may have left something out but whatever.

BANNED

Kieran_Frost got banned?
    I hope it wasn't my fault. Crap, now I feel really bad.
    Last edited by Songbird/Diamondback; 11-05-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Taste the Bitch Pudding. Green Griffin's Avatar

With the Marvel Now Titles i look for the creative team or characters i like or just overall concept. (reason Avengers Arena won't get my money but Young Avengers will)

but there are heart breakers out there. Iron Man is my favorite Avenger and he will be written by my favorite Marvel Writer but he'll be drawn by Greg Land. (i'll still get it though, 2 out of 3 ain't bad)

Avengers: Way too many characters, most of whom I don't really care about, and the ones I would read it for have more page time in other books I would rather be reading. Also, too much $$.
    Uncanny Avengers: Ehh. I read the first issue and wasn't really hooked. To be honest I'm not a huge X-Men person (though I did pick up WatXM at the cajoling of some friends and I've been enjoying it immensely)
    Avengers Assemble: Been debating on this one, though ultimately I don't think it's worth it.
    Young Avengers: A MILLION YESES. Really excited for this. Characters I love (Kid Loki, Kate, Noh-Varr, MAC, don't care that much about Hulkling or Wiccan but I don't hate them and have faith that Gillen will MAKE me care), it's a teen book (... I LOVE teen books, which might be my sudden panic at realizing I'm supposed to be an adult, I dunno) and Kieron Gillen. Pretty much Kieron Gillen.
    Avengers Arena: ... I really honestly don't know. On the one hand, I love my teen books. On the other, I don't want my kids to die. On the other-other... ahh, I don't know.
    New Avengers: I'm considering picking it up just because I have a massive thing for people controlling the world behind closed doors and being shady and whatever. A lot of my friends are not happy about it because there are no women, and while that does bother me a lot... I dunno. I really dunno if it's a dealbreaker. Bad feminist, self. Very bad.

Only way I've found that works is to pick up the first 3 - 4 issues and then assess how I feel about them (budget allowing of course). I tend to find its the ones I don't expect much from that I will likely enjoy the most and, unfortunately, vice versa.
    Last edited by Silverfortress; 11-06-2012 at 12:46 AM.
    DC - Aquaman, Forever Evil, Tom Strong
    Marvel - Thor: God of Thunder, Uncanny Avengers
    Dark Horse - Abe Sapien, Captain Midnight
    Dynamite - Doc Savage

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfortress View Post
    Only way I've found that works is to pick up the first 3 - 4 issues and then assess how I feel about them (budget allowing of course). I tend to find its the ones I don't expect much from that I will likely enjoy the most and, unfortunately, vice versa.
    That's actually not a bad way to go. With me, I've found characters I've gotten into with one issue. These days that doesn't happen as frequently. With my budget so tight, I hope I find one Marvel book I can read monthly and really enjoy.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

I mostly go by cast, but most of these are up in the air. I don't think Marvel's got any definite buys for me right now, but going in diminishing order of interest:

Uncanny Avengers: I'm getting it solely for Wanda. How she's treated will pretty much determine whether I keep buying it because right now I think everyone else weighs more toward characters I *don't* want to see over ones I do. I am curious who the three other characters are, and hoping they'll be ones I want to read (could one of them be Hank, Jan or Vision? That'd probably outweigh my utter disinterest in Wolverine).

Avengers: It's finally Avengers without Bendis. However, many of the core Avengers (other than the movie crew; primarily Hank, Jan, Wanda and Vision, though Wanda's in another book) seem to be missing; Wolverine and Spider-Man are still there; and the new characters seem like really odd choices (Cannonball and Sunspot? A Superman analogue? A new Smasher/Ultra-Boy analogue?)... Again, I'll wait and see but most of the announced cast doesn't do much for me.

Avengers Arena: Really torn on this. It has tons of characters I like. Almost everyone but Duckhawk, in fact. Unfortunately, the book's premise seems to be that it wants to kill off all those characters. I'll give it a chance, but if it kills off a Runaway in issue one or two, I'm sure I'll drop it out of disgust of such a waste of character (quite possibly do that for AA kids or Cammi too, for that matter). Also really can't stand the artist (well, except for his Troll; who should totally be in this title unless they'd just kill her off).

Secret Avengers: Another one I'll look and see. Don't really like the concept of the characters being brain-washed, and have no interest in Fake Fury. I think they said Maria Hill's in this too, and since I'm guessing they won't treat her like the villain she clearly is, I'm probably not that interested. Be surprised if I end up continuing with this.

Young Avengers: This should be a book I like, I think, but there's just something there I'm not interested in. I guess I never really warmed up to the Young Avengers (which I thought was a disingenuous book when it first came out saying "here, we're not going to give you the real Avengers anymore, but we still like the characters enough to give you these knock-off versions of them") and the new cast additions (particularly Marvel Boy) don't make me want to read it anymore. Still, it's at least got no Spider- or Wolver-knockoffs, nor any other of Marvel's Most Overexposed, so I might give it a chance.

New Avengers: I'll flip through the first issue, I suppose, but I highly doubt I'll get this. Not that interested in most of these characters. Moreover, while I wouldn't mind them starting the idea of the Illuminati here, the idea that this group has been around since the Kree-Skrull War continues to be utterly ludicrous and really biases me against the idea. The first issue is going to have to be one of the best books I've ever seen to get me to spend money on the concept.

Dark Avengers: Love USAgent and like Moonstone. Have no interest in any of the cast though no Luke Cage is a huge plus. Again, I'll look at it, but I don't like the idea that an Avengers title has to have a Spider-Man-analogue in it. Another one I'll be surprised if I'm getting.

Avengers Assemble: I can't quite figure out the point of this book. The first DeConnick storyline they're promoting just doesn't seem that amazing. No Wolverine or Spider-Man is a plus, though. Still, it just kind of seems forgettable. I might pick it up if/when I think the specific storyline/cast will appeal to me.

Thunderbolts: No. Code Red isn't TBolts.

(There's also Hawkeye, if we're counting solo titles. It continues to be hit and miss with me, but is staying on the pull list as long as they don't continue with the maimings.)

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

I dislike the Avengers so the only reason I'll pick it up is my love of Hickman and Gillen.

I'm staying away from Captain america.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I'm staying away from Captain america.
    If I hear that Diamondback is in it, maybe.

If I hear that Diamondback is in it, maybe.
    He's least interesting in solos personally. He's more fun as a leader.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”