Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 112
  1. #16
    BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London/NEW YORK
    Posts
    11,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk_Is View Post
    Dark Avengers - Not sure why I should buy it.
    Because Jeff Parker is AWESOME! He is original in his ideas, adds a great deal of humour, doesn't just re-use, but creates and reinvents characters and villains, and makes less-known characters EPIC! He made the Doctor Doom of Africa! How AMAZING is that?!!!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 11-05-2012 at 04:18 AM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

  2. #17
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    WILL 100% BUY, AND ALWAYS BUY... SOOOO EXCITED!!!
    > Dark Avengers by Jeff Parker
    Moonstone... nuff said. Add = I love Jeff Parker's work on this team, and really enjoy Ai Apaec, U.S Agent, Trickshot and Dr. June Covington... there is no reason under the sun I would ever not buy this.
    > Thunderbolts by Daniel Way
    Thunderbolts is "my team", always has been. I love Agent Venom, enjoy Elektra and Red Hulk, and while I find Way's Deadpool very shallow, I also think it's a lot of fun... so hey, I'm all on-board. Plus, adding the Leader as a team member is soooo interesting! I like the red covers too. Mwwwhahaha! Everyone needs a guilty pleasure now and then.
    > Young Avengers by Kieron Gillen
    I love Wiccan. I love Kid Loki. And I love Kieron Gillen. Already this is a match made in heaven. Add Kate Bishop, Noh-Var, Hulkling and the glorious Miss America Charvaz... and some gorgeous art, great concept... honestly this comic has NO flaws. Great cast, great writer, great concept, great art. I cannot wait!!!

    WILL TRY
    > New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman
    Hickman writing T'Challa sounds epic; and include the wonderful Namor makes me so happy... the rest of his cast is less impressive. No women (even though Abigail Brand makes more sense than nearly all the rest), and no LGBT characters... and no Doctor Voodoo. So I'll totally try it for T'Challa and Namor... but it needs to be AMAZING to keep me.
    > Secret Avengers by Nick Spencer
    I like the idea of the comic, I like the cast (minus the horrible idea that is Marcus Johnson); but nothing is "grabbing" me yet. I don't think I know Spencer's work, so I will happily give it a go; and hope I am surprised.

    ALREADY DROPPED
    > Uncanny Avengers by Rick Remender
    While I think the pairing of Remender and Cassady is sinfully glorious, I found the first issue utterly unlikeable. Wolverine is THE WORST person to speak at any funeral, Wanda (who I loved under Heinberg and Busiek's pen) was a smug, unlikeable b*tch here. And it also stars the mutant hating/gay bashing Steve Rogers. I love Wolverine under Remender in Uncanny X-force, but here he was offensive. Biggest disappointment of Marvel NOW! to date.

    I DON'T CARE HOW GOOD THE REVIEWS ARE, I WILL NEVER BUY THESE!!!
    > Avengers by Jonathan Hickman
    22 slots, and yet he's still made such a boring cast. How is that even possible??? I think it's waaaay too many characters to make any story work without a) ignoring most your cast, or b) substituting character work, for plotting. His choices are nearly all uninspiring, and the fact that we know at-least 18 members NONE OF WHICH are LGBT... Hickman went on record saying he'd add more diversity... I guess he falls into the "diversity only means skin colour" camp. Epic fail, Hickman, and once again the Avengers main teams have no LGBT characters. Surprise, surprise... and yet it's the X-verse that gets accused of being bad on diversity. Puuuur-lease!
    > Avengers Arena by don't know, don't care!!!
    As if!


    I always keep my pull list to 10 comics, not for money reasons, but purely keeping it at 10 means I am ALWAYS getting comics I love, avoiding the trap of supporting out of habit rather than love. It also means that any new comic must REALLY shine, to make me bump out one of my ten. A little competition never hurt anyone.

    I pick my comics by: (in order)
    1) THE CAST. I need to have someone on the team I adore, and at-least one other I really enjoy. There is no one character that would prevent me from getting a team comic (obviously I don't buy solo series of a character I don't enjoy)... but a completely new team would need a great writer for me to give them a go (SEE: Agents of Atlas)
    2) THE WRITER. If it's Rick Remender, Jeff Parker, Warren Ellis or Kieron Gillen, I'll probably give it a look; since I always find their work worth reading. If it's by Loeb, I will never read it; and Matt Fraction, Christos Gage and Brian Michael Bendis have really left me very unimpressed recently (so I would have to love MOST of the team, to try their comic -- an example of this is if Bendis IS doing a Dark X-men comic with Emma, Storm and Magneto... then yes, I'd give that a go).

    That's really it. I love various artists, but I would never pick up a comic just for them (nor drop a comic, unless it's that awful ani-manga-art). So while art matters a great deal, it doesnt' effect my pull list. And "Story/Concept" is down to the writer; so I lump that in with "good writers."
    Captain America gay bashes? When did this happen?
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

  3. #18
    BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London/NEW YORK
    Posts
    11,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Captain America gay bashes? When did this happen?
    "Gay bashing" was probably too extreme... a more detailed response: Cap doesn't seem to include very many LGBT superheroes in his teams. Ms. Victoria Hand is the only one I can think of, off the top of my head. In how many years of his leadership? It's not a good percentage.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

  4. #19
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    "Gay bashing" was probably too extreme... a more detailed response: Cap doesn't seem to include very many LGBT superheroes in his teams. Ms. Victoria Hand is the only one I can think of, off the top of my head. In how many years of his leadership? It's not a good percentage.
    Oh...you actually had me worried there for a minute.

    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

  5. #20
    Completely sauced... klinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    8,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    "Gay bashing" was probably too extreme... a more detailed response: Cap doesn't seem to include very many LGBT superheroes in his teams. Ms. Victoria Hand is the only one I can think of, off the top of my head. In how many years of his leadership? It's not a good percentage.
    Steve is probably the very last person in the MU you could accuse of any sort of predjudices. He may not be explicitly for your cause (there are only so many hours in a day, and he has 25 teams to manage), but he's def against anyone trying to take it from you.

    Unless you're a Skrull. Everyone hates the Scrulls.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

  6. #21
    BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London/NEW YORK
    Posts
    11,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Steve is probably the very last person in the MU you could accuse of any sort of predjudices. He may not be explicitly for your cause (there are only so many hours in a day, and he has 25 teams to manage), but he's def against anyone trying to take it from you.
    Unless you're a Skrull. Everyone hates the Scrulls.
    I think Steve has, at the very least, a prejudice of sorts against mutants (House of M and AvsX). And for someone "okay" with gay people... he doesn't ever seem to want them around him...
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

  7. #22
    Completely sauced... klinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    8,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I think Steve has, at the very least, a prejudice of sorts against mutants (House of M and AvsX). And for someone "okay" with gay people... he doesn't ever seem to want them around him...
    No. He has an anti-Phoenix bias. There's a difference.

    Arnie Roth called to remind you that Steve was his best friend.

    Then ther's Wiccan, mutant and gay (oh, my...that's gotta be rough in high school), who Steve went to the mat to protect in CC.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

  8. #23
    BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London/NEW YORK
    Posts
    11,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    No. He has an anti-Phoenix bias. There's a difference
    Steve's faith in mutants to handle the situation was... lacking. If Galactus was coming, would Steve a) talk to the Fantastic Four about a strategy or b) attack Baxter building to kidnap Franklin because Doctor Doom counciled Steve that Reed Richard's has lost the plot... COME ON! The only reason Steve wouldn't talk to Cyclops or give him ANY benefit of the doubt was down to prejudice and lack of investment in mutant causes (which Steve himself admitted he had never been good at caring about).

    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Arnie Roth called to remind you that Steve was his best friend.
    But was Arnie Steve's best friend? Don't think so... when did we see Arnie last?

    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Then ther's Wiccan, mutant and gay (oh, my...that's gotta be rough in high school), who Steve went to the mat to protect in CC.
    What story did you read? WHEN did Steve "go to the mat" for Wiccan??? Is this before or after he stood with Wolverine discussing the need to take the kid out? Or after Steve locked Wiccan and the others away, even though they committed NO CRIME!

    BUT... we shouldn't derail the thread too much. This is about why we pick Marvel Now! comics, not whether Steve Rogers isn't the shining light of acceptance he claims to be.

    Why have you not included Thunderbolts or Dark Avengers in your list? You say you buy things for characters, do none of the characters interest you?
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

  9. #24
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Steve's faith in mutants to handle the situation was... lacking. If Galactus was coming, would Steve a) talk to the Fantastic Four about a strategy or b) attack Baxter building to kidnap Franklin because Doctor Doom counciled Steve that Reed Richard's has lost the plot... COME ON! The only reason Steve wouldn't talk to Cyclops or give him ANY benefit of the doubt was down to prejudice and lack of investment in mutant causes (which Steve himself admitted he had never been good at caring about).
    but the thing is...... and stay with me here............. THE X-MEN HAD NO INTENTION OF HANDLING IT......... im sure steve would be fine letting the x-men handle the phenoix problem if it was to them what galactus is to reed but THE X-MEN WANTED THE FORCE OF DEATH (and rebirth blah blah blah) TO COME HERE, they didnt give a DAMN that every living thing (human AND mutant) on the planet would die if there where wrong.

  10. #25
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,463

    Default

    AVENGERS - JEROME OPENA F##K YEAH!!!!, and after the hickman bringing GLORY AND HONOR back to the Ultimate universe im stoked as Hell for his avengers

    UNCANNY AVENGERS - remender has done fantastic work on venom, secret avengers and ESPECIALY uncanny x-force so very interested here, and plus john cassady

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    NEW AVENGERS - interested mostly for the matters of hickman but probably wont buy

    SECRET AVENGERS - dont care about the new writer or artist...... so No

    YOUNG AVENGERS - DO NOT CARE! (slightly interested in what happens with loki but other than that)

    AVENGERS ARENA - DO NOT CARE!

  11. #26
    BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London/NEW YORK
    Posts
    11,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Movieartman View Post
    but the thing is...... and stay with me here............. THE X-MEN HAD NO INTENTION OF HANDLING IT......... im sure steve would be fine letting the x-men handle the phenoix problem if it was to them what galactus is to reed but THE X-MEN WANTED THE FORCE OF DEATH (and rebirth blah blah blah) TO COME HERE, they didnt give a DAMN that every living thing (human AND mutant) on the planet would die if there where wrong.
    I'm not derailing this thread anymore. We've done the AvsX dance; and we simply must agree to disagree. I'm not getting Uncanny Avengers because Steve Rogers, Wolverine and Wanda are far too unlikeable in it (and I think Steve's VERY prejudice against mutants, and seeing him "suddenly" care and act like he's always been mutants best friend really makes it unreadable). That's MY opinion, of course; I'm sure many love Steve Roger's suddenly caring about a group he's never seen to give a damn about before.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

  12. #27
    Elder Member BrotherUnitNo_4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MARYLAND
    Posts
    13,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    "Gay bashing" was probably too extreme... a more detailed response: Cap doesn't seem to include very many LGBT superheroes in his teams. Ms. Victoria Hand is the only one I can think of, off the top of my head. In how many years of his leadership? It's not a good percentage.
    Doesn't Living Lightning count? I don't think that was ever an Avenger under Steve but I'm pretty sure he's on Reserve status. Moondragon was also an Avenger for a spell, but that was before she started to flirt with the fairer sex. Herc swings in all directions. This is known by many.

    Beyond that, the bigger problem is probably that there aren't that many LGBT heroes to begin with that aren't X-Men.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

    Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

    Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

  13. #28
    Elder Member BrotherUnitNo_4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MARYLAND
    Posts
    13,149

    Default

    To answer the OP, it starts with the creative team for me. A good creative team can make a potentially toxic premise work.

    After that comes characters and premise tied for second.

    Third comes price. I'm passing on pretty much all $3.99 books for trades with the exception of UXF so far, as I'm really interested in the creative team with that particular mix of characters.

    Hulk is definitely getting pulled in trades. I may check out Thor as well, alongside Hickman's Avengers.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

    Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

    Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

  14. #29
    Wol with it. SuperCooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,567

    Default

    Avengers: Sounds too good to pass up. So there are a lot of characters, Hickman sounds interested and invested in the ways he has in the line-up, especially since he's noted the necessity of the movievengers. If the others are ones he wanted, we're in for some good story-telling.

    Avengers Arena:Mettle, Reptil, Nico, Chase and Darkhawk? Yes please! I know others aren't keen on the concept but Kev Walker is aces and the story should keep everyone and everything on the edge of their respective seats.

    New Avengers: Never a huge fan of the Illuminati, but the cast of characters is interesting and if you've read Hickman's formspring, well, it should be good.

    Young Avengers: Everything. Everything about this book has me excited.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

  15. #30
    Straight Edge
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    I just look for the characters I want to follow.

    Avengers: Nat, Sam, Steve
    Uncanny Avengers: Wanda, Steve, Alex
    Avengers Assemble: Nat, Steve
    Young Avengers: Kate, Noh, Teddy
    Secret Avengers: Nat, Maria
    Avengers Arena: the reason SB/DB is crying all over the boards this week.

    I'll be getting New Avengers too because I'm sure the story will be important in the overall structure of things.
    pretty much the same with me as well..

    Avengers- too many to list
    Uncanny- Cap, Wolverine, Wanda, Havok
    New- Tony, BP, Strange
    Secret- like most of the cast(even Fury Jr!), but probably won't have room for it in the budget.
    Assemble- again, like most of the cast, but I can read them all in the main book so I'll be skipping
    Arena- no interest at all.
    young- I like Wiccan and Teddy, but don't care enough or have room in the budget.
    CaptainAmerica Hawkeye Avengers NewAvengers UncannyAvengers AvengersWorld

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •