Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Being a female doesn't really change who the character really is but at least for me it makes it more fun and it feels slightly risque or rebellious now because i know now how society thinks.

I think it's really stupid i mean would anyone say anything to a girl that liked to play as male characters?

Also for arguments sake i think Ms Pac-man was a slightly better game.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    The main thing I always hear people complaining about (aside from her following the retarded restrictions she was given) is her freaking out when she fought Ridley, someone she's kicked the shit out of numerous times before. And by this point we've played Fusion and Zero Mission so we had some idea how Samus acts (or should be acting) by this point.
    Like in fusion, when she went on and on and on and on and on about her former commanding officer constantly?
    That games focus on her monologue lead directly too Other M in my mind.

Let's face it, the typical video game character is a Straight, White, Male.

Thus, by a character being female, it automatically makes the character at least somewhat more interesting (due to its comparative uniqueness). Same as if the character was black or gay.
    "Kryptonite-laced nail polish. Isn't it too divine? Under all that steel, just a man."
    -- Cheetah, Batman: The Brave and the Bold

I just wanted to share this story...

When I was about 7 or 8 my father who was very abusive made it point to tell me and my brother that we shouldn't cry because we're boys and something about playing as female characters in video games.Back in 98 or 99 when the Tamagotchi toys or however you spell it was popular, me, my bro, and my cousin got the ones where you had to take care of a baby.When you turn it on, my bro and cousin both got sons but it said I had a daughter.I cried my eyes out of my head because I was afraid that my dad would beat me because the game assigned me a girl.I did this in front of most of my family(mom's side) and so they told me to give it a boy's name so I wouldn't make him mad.Later when we showed my dad the little toy had assigned me a girl he didn't even care, my mom might've said something to him about me bursting out in tears in front of everybody though.I'm embarrassed about it now but back then I was truly afraid of getting hurt.

When I was younger I always chose Chun Li and Kitana when playing Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, I don't why though, because I didn't want to be a girl but I assume he thought I did.Now I don't choose girls but it's not a big deal if I do because I'm older and don't really care but I'm actually better with male characters.When I was little I have no clue why I chose to play as female characters, I think I liked the way they looked, like I had tiny crushes on them but I was a kid so I didn't know how to express it, so I expressed it by playing as them.I really don't know what went through my mind as a kid.I was weird and I still am kind of weird.

Don't worry about it, play as whomever you like. If your family doesn't approve of something so minor as playing as a girl in a videogame, they're probably not going to approve of a lot of things. They can learn to live with it because the world has a lot of things wrong with it than a dude playing as a videogame representation of a woman.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sHayden View Post
    I played all 3 Mass Effect games as a female because the quality of the female voice acting was so much higher. If I'd had to play all 3 as dude-bro Shep it would have been torturous.
    This holds true generally across many games.

I gravitate towards tanking classes. I got the female character habit in City of Heroes because the female Taunt animation and sound effect was in the beginning superior to the male one. (Female sound was 'a-HA!'; male sounded like a cross between the Dying Giraffe from South Park and an adult voice from a Charlie Brown cartoon.)

In SW:TOR, my female android trooper was made with spare Commander Shepard parts. That's what kept me playing to max level there.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Seeking the approval of people who are obviously flawed is always going to lead to disappointment.

Gone

Tell your family everything is 51% better with girls in it.

Omniversal Dominatrix. The Scarlet Witch's Avatar

What I don't like about it is the fact that pretty much no-one believes I actually am a girl online anymore due to the sheer number of guys who play as girls, and the number of guys who play as girls to try and have some sort of advantage or get perks because they are 'female'.

The fact that i'm always expected to prove it and have to hear that "there is no girls on the internet" thing is annoying.

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by The Scarlet Witch View Post
    guys who play as girls to try and have some sort of advantage or get perks

Wow
    Guys actually do that?

I mean, Ive played as a girl on online games (Rochelle or Zoey in L4D2), but its only because were trying to get a lobby filled and I know if we have to wait for a guy to pick the female character, wel be there all night.

Well, that and the fact that you tend to draw less accidental friendly fire when youre running around in a bright red shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Let's face it, the typical video game character is a Straight, White, Male.
    Wait, I thought the typical video game character was a woodland critter.

I like it when a video game with a pool of multiple characters to select, actually puts some effort in fleshing out its female characters, instead of having there be one token female. I've always felt a great offender was Killer Instinct (with B. Orchid), who was fairly sexualized and served as eye candy. Compare it to Mortal Kombat, which featured Sonya as a badass equal to Liu Kang and Cage.

Then afterwards, Boon & Co. had to fug up when they transitioned to 3D and just kept sticking Kitana, Mileena, and Jade in increasingly revealing outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Like in fusion, when she went on and on and on and on and on about her former commanding officer constantly?
    That games focus on her monologue lead directly too Other M in my mind.
    There was very little dialogue within Fusion, and almost all of it was with the AI that was literally the brain patterns of Samus' former CO. And when Samus spoke of him, she spoke of him as an officer who had earned her respect with his candor and his sacrifice, not as the recipient of her projected daddy issues.