Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

Default Can Superman die if he gets hanged by the Lasso of Truth?

Can he die from it?

Can't hang a man who can fly...

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    assuming he has no flight

Vibrate through it...

Vibrate through it...
    for the sake of the thread, he can't escape it.

Gotcha, well then Superman could just hold his breath and run on nothing but solar power till that runs out......and that could take years. So yeah I guess he could die eventually (long time from now) but given all the restrictions you put in place it may as well not be the lasso of truth anymore....it could be any old rope now.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Gotcha, well then Superman could just hold his breath and run on nothing but solar power till that runs out......and that could take years. So yeah I guess he could die eventually (long time from now) but given all the restrictions you put in place it may as well not be the lasso of truth anymore....it could be any old rope now.
    Well, no because he could just break the rope.
    But yeah, assuming he can't fly, it all depends on wether or not this Superman need to breathe. Since this new version can fly in space, I tend to think he doesnt.
    Unless the magical nature of the rope makes it work like a normal rope on a normal guy, in which case it's possible it would break his neck. But (unfortunately for the guys being hanged), it doesn't always break it.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

I doubt he would die just from being hung from it. His neck muscles are just too powerful, it wouldn't be cutting off his air.

On the other hand, I'm sure someone with enough strength could snap his neck with it.
    Life looks better in black and white.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    I doubt he would die just from being hung from it. His neck muscles are just too powerful, it wouldn't be cutting off his air.

On the other hand, I'm sure someone with enough strength could snap his neck with it.
    Well, it is a magic rope, so I don't know if his strengh would be efficient against it.
    Otherwise, he could just burn it with his heat vision to escape.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    assuming he has no flight
    Vibrate through it...
    Hahaha this exchange is a good representation of why I love Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Well, no because he could just break the rope.

But he said he couldn't escape and breaking the rope would be escaping. But yeah maybe saying it could be any old rope was a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post

Yeah I completely forgot....Superman could just stiffen his neck for an indefinite amount of time and it would then be impossible to hang him unless someone stronger than him were doing it.

Superman wins

But he said he couldn't escape and breaking the rope would be escaping. But yeah maybe saying it could be any old rope was a bit much.
    Wonder Woman's lasso of truth has always been unbreakable.I think only magic can beat other magic but nobody in DC universe carries a magic scissors just to counter WW's rope.

.....yeah that's why I said "maybe saying it could be any old rope was a bit much".

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    Wonder Woman's lasso of truth has always been unbreakable.
    Except for when it's been broken...

I think only magic can beat other magic but nobody in DC universe carries a magic scissors just to counter WW's rope.
    The lasso has powerful magic, yes, but to 'subvert' it into something more...doesn't really work. Basically, it depends on who is wielding the lasso - if it's someone like Diana, or J'onn or someone else with 'comparable' strength, then it may be possible for the lasso to be used to strangle/hang Superman but it would require their level of strength and compulsion - Superman would have to be compelled to not resist, and since the lasso shows truth, the magic then becomes dangerous and it can actually backfire...and break the lasso...

The lasso can't cut him, either, even with someone of Diana's strength using it, but it would certainly have a cheese-wire effect on someone like Batman or Steve Trevor if it were to be used in a similar way.

The nature of magic and the effects it has on Superman is often confused by writers, editors and readers. For example, a knife enchanted with the ability to cut through any bread or cheese, no matter how old or stale or hard, and work as a normal knife, too, would have no effect on Superman. A knife enchanted with the ability to cut any human would also have no effect on Superman. A knife enchanted with the ability to cut through stone and metal would have no effect on Superman. A knife enchanted with the ability to cut through anything 'of Earthly origin' would also have no effect on Superman.