Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Recommend me

  1. #1

    Default Recommend me

    Been out of buying comics for awhile last books i brought were the Batman and Robin hardbacks. Im a little behind the New 52 thing so i was wondering what would people recommend at the moment. Are the Archive still worth buying or with the new 52 have some of the back story changed?

    The problem i have is there is no comic book shops anywhere near me. So i buy everything from ebay which can be a pain if i have to keep buying individual issues.
    Last edited by the_b1ues; 11-04-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Currently Collecting
    Gears of War
    Batman

  2. #2
    pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    4,106

    Default

    I suppose the Archives are still worth buying if you want to read those stories. There's a lot of past events that are still up in the air regarding if they are canon or in continuity. But some stuff has been blatantly retcon'd.

    As for specific New 52 titles, I suppose it comes down to your preferences. What characters do you like? What type of stories do you like? Does art make a difference? etc etc.

    As for buying, the 1st TPBs are already out for the New 52 and you can order singles regularly from DC itself I believe. Or other 3rd-party sites like Midtown Comics.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

  3. #3
    Completely sauced... klinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    8,264

    Default

    Most of the material in the Archives volumes hasn't been in coninuity for decades. So if you were reading and enjoying them up until now, continue to do so.

    As for new titles to read, if you're not reading Wonder Woman you are indeed missing out.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

  4. #4
    Power Corrupts Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_b1ues View Post
    Been out of buying comics for awhile last books i brought were the Batman and Robin hardbacks. Im a little behind the New 52 thing so i was wondering what would people recommend at the moment. Are the Archive still worth buying or with the new 52 have some of the back story changed?

    The problem i have is there is no comic book shops anywhere near me. So i buy everything from ebay which can be a pain if i have to keep buying individual issues.

    backstories have changed. Some changes are minor some are complete overhauls. We don't have a good grasp on the current 5 year timeline and DC's not been kind of flip floppy in regards to what has or hasn't happened.


    Titles you might be interested:

    Batman- good title, for the most part. If yor a fan of Scott Snyder definitely worth checking out
    Nightwing- this books okay. Solid artwork. Decent Nightwing storries nothing spectacular though
    Batman Inc- continuation of Morrison's Batman Inc story. If you enjoyed his Batman epic you might want to keep checking this title out, but I'll be honest it feels out of place ot me in this new time line.
    Batman and Robin- This is just okay. Not nearly as good as Morriosn's Batman and Robin run. I'd say Average overall
    Batwing- very underrated title. Some truly great arc by Ben Oliver early on. This is Winick at his best. If you liked his runs on PowerGirl or Justice League Generation Lost check this out. Sadly Winick is no longer on this title, with the next issue or so, therefore this book might not make it to 20 or 25 issues.
    Birds of Prey- solid series. I'll admit I dropped the book, but I couldn't really find any faults with this title. Solid heroine team book
    Justice League- This is unqueostionably the Flagship title of the DC. You'll find mixed reviews for it on this website, but the general consensus is that its good. I recommend giving it a browse yourself, but it seems like the best jump on book for this new universe setting the tone for the rest
    Aquaman- Great artwork, just a solid adventure book. People really rave about this title
    Wonder Woman- really entertaining title. Changes up the Wonder Woman mythos quite a bit and creatively weaves Greek mythology than pst Wonder Woman titles really setting the tone for this book
    Frankenstein Agent of Shade- this title was just recently cancelled, but it was a really enjoyable title. Reminds me a little of Hellboy but at the same time its really different. If you are interested in a good ole Horror/Supernatural book give this title a read.
    Omac- Really fun book, but was cancelled after 8 issues
    Action Comics- One of the best titles of the new 52. if you like Morrison be sure to check this out.
    Voodoo- Another cancelled title, but started off very strongly. Basari's artwork here is beyond reproach. And Ron Marz seemed to have this title going in a good direction till he left, than the title quickly fell into some cliche themes and was cancelled not too long ago.
    IVampire- I don't like this title, but a lot of people do on this site, might be worth checking out. Its a vampire book. Its just not for me, but if you like vampire comics and kind of that good/moral vampire troupe thats been goign around for years now than you may enjoy this book
    All Star Western- Not sure if this book got cancelled or not, but it had some solid artwork. The book is set in the Wild West era, featuring Jonah Hex and other old heroes. Seemed like a fun book, but I haven't heard about it in a while so it may have been cancelled
    Batwoman- Really great art. Really good. The first arc was kind of meh, but recently Batwoman had a team up arc with Wonder Woman that was really good.
    Flash- average book




    I'd avoid the Young Justice line all those books are pretty bad in my opinion. The word on these forums is that the new Batgirl book is bad, along with the World's Finest (Huntress and Powergirl). Redhood and the Outlaws is suppose to have good manga style artwork, but its kind of a random book with mediocre writing from what I'm hearing lately.


  5. #5
    Completely sauced... klinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    8,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I'd avoid the Young Justice line all those books are pretty bad in my opinion. The word on these forums is that the new Batgirl book is bad, along with the World's Finest (Huntress and Powergirl). Redhood and the Outlaws is suppose to have good manga style artwork, but its kind of a random book with mediocre writing from what I'm hearing lately.
    I'm going to disagree with these assessments. Red Hood is nothing like Manga, for starters. It's just a fun adventure book with three unlikely friends. The art on the first eleven issues was just gorgeous.

    Of the Young Justice line, Superboy is shaping up to be fantastic. It started off brilliant, but lost it's way a few issues in (tying too heavily into the TT book, and not focusing on it's strength: Kon's unique amoral perspective on the world). The last few issues have been solid though, and I expect this to continue.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

  6. #6
    The Dark Knight Returns DonC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Cleve
    Posts
    13,789

    Default

    Also keep in mind there's more to comics than DC, Marvel and superheroes. Too many people narrow their purchases to them and don't realize that they're missing out on some truly outstanding stuff.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

  7. #7
    Power Corrupts Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    I'm going to disagree with these assessments. Red Hood is nothing like Manga, for starters. It's just a fun adventure book with three unlikely friends. The art on the first eleven issues was just gorgeous.

    Of the Young Justice line, Superboy is shaping up to be fantastic. It started off brilliant, but lost it's way a few issues in (tying too heavily into the TT book, and not focusing on it's strength: Kon's unique amoral perspective on the world). The last few issues have been solid though, and I expect this to continue.

    The art style on Red Hood and the Outlaws is clearly manga like for those familiar with the medium. Superboy being fantastic is simply a big overstatement. If you want a Superman centric title after Action Comics, go read Superman, after that read Supergirl.


  8. #8
    Completely sauced... klinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    8,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    The art style on Red Hood and the Outlaws is clearly manga like for those familiar with the medium. Superboy being fantastic is simply a big overstatement. If you want a Superman centric title after Action Comics, go read Superman, after that read Supergirl.
    I'm not overly familiar with manga, I'll admit (I think Rozen Maiden is the only one I've ever read). I didn't get that vibe from Red Hood though. No doe eyes and cartoony 'chibi' panels sprinkled in between graphic sound effects and sexualized aliens/robots/octopi (the trademarks of the genre, imho).

    I think to look at Superboy only as a 'Superman' title is a mistake. I read all of the Super family titles, but Kon is def my favorite character in the bunch. To compare that book to Action or Supergirl is to gloss over the fact that it's nothing to do with Krypton or Lex Luthor....or any of the trappings Kara and Kal come with.

    Of course, everything is subjective. Perhaps I opened the floodgate for debate here by contesting another's personal opinion (although, from the wording I got the impression it was third hand information, so I felt first hand reccomendation might be in order).
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

  9. #9
    Power Corrupts Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    I'm not overly familiar with manga, I'll admit (I think Rozen Maiden is the only one I've ever read). I didn't get that vibe from Red Hood though. No doe eyes and cartoony 'chibi' panels sprinkled in between graphic sound effects and sexualized aliens/robots/octopi (the trademarks of the genre, imho).

    I think to look at Superboy only as a 'Superman' title is a mistake. I read all of the Super family titles, but Kon is def my favorite character in the bunch. To compare that book to Action or Supergirl is to gloss over the fact that it's nothing to do with Krypton or Lex Luthor....or any of the trappings Kara and Kal come with.

    Of course, everything is subjective. Perhaps I opened the floodgate for debate here by contesting another's personal opinion (although, from the wording I got the impression it was third hand information, so I felt first hand reccomendation might be in order).
    There are different mangaka styles. Not all are super cartoony or chibi. Me calling Redhood manga style was in no way meant as a diss. I actually find the artwork to be quite good, but I find Rorchrafts style to be much more akin to detailed mangaka artists than mainstream western comics. Read enough manga and you can tell. Just chocking up manga too Chibi or hentai-esque themes is a drastic over-generilizaiton. These are elements that are only in some mangas. As far as sexualizing characters that something done in both mediums. I fel manga is just open about it when writers choose to do so, whereas with western comics people always say its debatable, even if its not.

    As for Superboy to each their own. I read a few issues and didn't really see the appeal.


  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    don't tell us what characters you're into, tell us what WRITERS and STORYLINES you're into, then we can recommend better

  11. #11
    pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    4,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Chang View Post
    don't tell us what characters you're into, tell us what WRITERS and STORYLINES you're into, then we can recommend better
    or, or, he could tell us what characters he likes, since that could actually matter to him. Then we could suggest writers and storylines for that character. What a novel idea! I mean, surely some people like Batman b/c he's Batman, right?
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

  12. #12

    Default

    I'm in the same boat as you dude. Been out of the game for a while, just recently jumped back in, and am going buck wild over the new 52. Some really solid books being put out right now...without knowing your interests, here are my suggestions:

    Swamp Thing
    Animal Man
    Batman
    Suicide Squad
    Demon Knights
    Birds of Prey


    And I just picked up Ravagers, which I'm thoroughly enjoying through the first two issues. Batman and animal man are difficult to get yet hands on right now, so i would recommend buying if you see a complete set on eBay.good luck!

  13. #13
    Senior Member Paladin King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,576

    Default

    Batman - simply put, Scott Snyder is an amazing Bat-writer with a love for the character and universe. If you haven't, check out his Detective run as well (collected as Batman: the Black Mirror)
    Batman Inc. - if you've been following Morrison's Batman, th is is a no-brainer, as it's the continuation/finale of his larger story. If you haven't been, don't bother, or start at the beginning (Batman & Son)
    Swamp Thing
    Animal Man - You really should pick up BOTH Swampy and A-Man, and not one or the other, as they're very much tied together. Great books that double as horror comics with a real classic Vertigo feel
    Wonder Woman - a WW unlike anything you've ever read. Awesome Cliff Chiang art in a grand, dark, mythology heavy book. Great stuff.
    Aquaman/The Flash - really, the two best places to look if you're in the mood for some good old fashioned DC superhero comics, with, particularly in the case of the Flash, a touch of Silver Age. Both also have great artwork.
    Dial H - a very smart book, but also a very strange one. You either love it or you....don't. As a result, I'm hesitant to recommend it, but if you "get" it, you can't help but like it.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:


    WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

  14. #14
    Veteran Member El Sombrero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin King View Post
    Batman - simply put, Scott Snyder is an amazing Bat-writer with a love for the character and universe. If you haven't, check out his Detective run as well (collected as Batman: the Black Mirror)
    Batman Inc. - if you've been following Morrison's Batman, th is is a no-brainer, as it's the continuation/finale of his larger story. If you haven't been, don't bother, or start at the beginning (Batman & Son)
    Swamp Thing
    Animal Man - You really should pick up BOTH Swampy and A-Man, and not one or the other, as they're very much tied together. Great books that double as horror comics with a real classic Vertigo feel
    Wonder Woman - a WW unlike anything you've ever read. Awesome Cliff Chiang art in a grand, dark, mythology heavy book. Great stuff.
    Aquaman/The Flash - really, the two best places to look if you're in the mood for some good old fashioned DC superhero comics, with, particularly in the case of the Flash, a touch of Silver Age. Both also have great artwork.
    Dial H - a very smart book, but also a very strange one. You either love it or you....don't. As a result, I'm hesitant to recommend it, but if you "get" it, you can't help but like it.
    I like all of these. I would add Demon Knights for some fun medieval fantasy action.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

    She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

  15. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    83

    Default

    I got back into comics after a 20-ish year break just before DC launched the New52

    New52 makes some of the old archival stuff redundant - but that doesn't mean the various older trades and HCs are not fun reading... All Star Superman, Last Son, Superman Earth One, Hellblazer: Pandemonium have all entertained me recently.

    If you just want to focus on the new stuff... New 52 Titles that I LIKE and I'm currently pulling singles or definitely trade waiting for HCs:
    Action, Batman, Wonder Woman, Animal Man, Earth 2, Sword of Sorcery (early days, but it's pretty), Batwoman (for the art)

    Titles I liked that were cancelled
    Frankenstein Agent of SHADE

    Titles that were okay to good but I've dropped (or I only sampled a single issue and it didn't suck completely)
    Justice League, Aquaman, Justice League Dark, Swamp Thing, Demon Knights, Supergirl, All-Star Western, I Vampire, Batgirl

    Titles that after reading made me want to remove my brain through my eyesockets with a teaspoon.
    Deathshot Deathstroke? Deadshot? #0, Ravagers #1, Sucide Squad #1-4, Red Lanterns #1-3

    Titles I'll probably try (or reconnect with) in trades in the future
    Dial H, Demon Knights, I Vampire, maybe Justice League Dark...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •