Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thetrellan View Post
    First off, she has a history of being the weakest Avenger, so she can't go running for help whenever a baddie with powers crosses her path. Independence needs to be a theme, but independence with a support network of some kind, because it's men who stereotypically have trouble asking for help.

Second, she's a woman with the power to shrink out of view and still be in the room. There's a Pandora syndrome thing built into that. Her curiosity would get her into trouble, her fierce independence and ingenuity would get her out of most scrapes. She's a natural spy, but needn't necessarily work for any espionage agency. I think of her as a troubleshooter. Maybe one who, from time to time, helps a person back to the right side of the law, since she can see what is hidden under normal circumstances. A natural snoop, but not a gossip, since that would be an irresponsible abuse of her abilities.

That said, it suggests a story in which she learns that very lesson.

Lastly, I want to see her bio-stings upgraded for normal size functionality, if they aren't already, as well as an expanded definition of what can be done with them. How do they affect computer circuitry, other than simple destruction? Can she trigger functions at all? I imagine her sending pulses to a keyboard from inside. What kind of similar subtle applications would they lend themselves to?
    Unless Marvel puts the effort of making Wasp big, I don't see Wasp getting her own film ever.

honestly, I'd mix the two and make her a female carl sagan.

make her in the same role as kari from mythbusters, who is very smart, but more a "presentator of science" then a science maker.

Give her a breadth of knowldge that mixes the other people's talents well.

she can also play a role of ms exposition as well.

Combine it with her spunky attitude and powerset, yes, I do believe she would sell and well. :)
    click here for some characters to use in rumbles

“We need to apply the science of communication to the communication of science.” - Preston Manning

Brian and so is my wife thetrellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Unless Marvel puts the effort of making Wasp big, I don't see Wasp getting her own film ever.
    True enough. They are far more likely to make her leader of the Avengers- or some version of the Avengers- then try her solo. On some level, she still is just Hank's old sidekick. And look what they did to him: turned him into a failed husband whose very sanity is forever in question.

It's too bad, really, because right now Marvel needs to diversify badly. Take the Avengers label off of these offshoot teams so that they stop looking like a one-trick pony. Or rather 2-trick pony, with the X-Men being the other trick. Right now I'm getting lots more DC stuff then Marvel, and it's all because DC decided to diversify in one mad, creative burst. Marvel will rip off every one of DC's tricks, but when it comes to one that they actually need to mimic, nothing.
    "Crucifiction? Good. Out the door, line on the left, one cross each." Michael Palin in "Life of Brian"

Just because Rogue is popular doesn't mean she's in the same league as 4 other characters on that roster.
    Really? Well, when I stopped reading X-Men, Havok was a rarely used character, while Rogue was already hugely popular.

And where is this Cap stuff coming from?
    Are you telling me you never noticed that he's a natural leader, especially in the Avengers? Seriously, he's a captain and everything. Get him in a room of Avengers and ask them to choose a leader, everyone points at him. He's been known to turn the position down for that very reason.

And again, this is Remender, who kills frequently.
    I never paid that much attention, but I do remember the last story of his I read. Guess what? Ant Man died. lol

You're right, but in the age of such macho guy stuff, girly is avoided.
    Sad but true. And titles like ASM are much the poorer for it. I don't think I ever enjoyed the series as much as when he and Gwen had their little soap opera thing going on. It convinced me that occasional soap is a necessary element to the superhero story. I'm sure fans of Smallville agree.
    Last edited by thetrellan; 11-23-2012 at 05:15 PM.
    "Crucifiction? Good. Out the door, line on the left, one cross each." Michael Palin in "Life of Brian"

Quote Originally Posted by thetrellan View Post
    True enough. They are far more likely to make her leader of the Avengers- or some version of the Avengers- then try her solo. On some level, she still is just Hank's old sidekick. And look what they did to him: turned him into a failed husband whose very sanity is forever in question.

It's too bad, really, because right now Marvel needs to diversify badly. Take the Avengers label off of these offshoot teams so that they stop looking like a one-trick pony. Or rather 2-trick pony, with the X-Men being the other trick. Right now I'm getting lots more DC stuff then Marvel, and it's all because DC decided to diversify in one mad, creative burst. Marvel will rip off every one of DC's tricks, but when it comes to one that they actually need to mimic, nothing.
    If Hank dies in Age of Ultron next summer there's a chance we'll see Wasp get that kind of push (afterall after Jan died Hank led the Mighty Avengers) but until then Jan is probably going to be third string leader of the Uncanny Avengers
    Last edited by Propagandor; 11-23-2012 at 06:26 PM.

I suppose it would depend on the demographic. Most adults would prefer a pert, pixie-ish woman, but there must be a lot of little boys who think a man who can ride on the back of a giant honeybee is COOL.

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

You're right, but in the age of such macho guy stuff, girly is avoided.
    Age of Twilight/Beiber/Gaga/Kardashian/Katniss/Glee is the age of macho guy stuff? Really now?

Quote Originally Posted by chariset View Post
    I suppose it would depend on the demographic. Most adults would prefer a pert, pixie-ish woman, but there must be a lot of little boys who think a man who can ride on the back of a giant honeybee is COOL.
    Which is why some people are already accusing of Ant-Man to be such a lame and "kiddie" concept, when they first heard news of the movie. "Little boys" is a relatively small demographic, and it isn't like they are starved for choice in the superhero market. When you were a little guy, wouldn't you have loved to be at the least, twenty to twenty-five other superheroes before you even considered the thought of Ant-Man?

And that is the main problem which faces Wright's movie. The target audience is extremely tiny and extremely spoiled for choice with far better and far more recognizable options.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    Which is why some people are already accusing of Ant-Man to be such a lame and "kiddie" concept, when they first heard news of the movie. "Little boys" is a relatively small demographic, and it isn't like they are starved for choice in the superhero market. When you were a little guy, wouldn't you have loved to be at the least, twenty to twenty-five other superheroes before you even considered the thought of Ant-Man?

And that is the main problem which faces Wright's movie. The target audience is extremely tiny and extremely spoiled for choice with far better and far more recognizable options.
    Liking Jan and wanting her to have a movie doesn't mean you need to tear down other characters and their fans

Quote Originally Posted by Propagandor View Post
    Liking Jan and wanting her to have a movie doesn't mean you need to tear down other characters and their fans
    In a thread SPECIFICALLY comparing the commercial appeal of the two superheroes, yes I very well may.

Also, I only raised valid points regarding Ant-Man's doubtful success prospects, which aren't really all that unheard of anyway.

Who in hell would want to make or watch a movie about her ?

A weak superhero who only have her powers thanks to her man and a very superficial and shallow woman in top of that.

Movie of the summer !!

Ant-man is obviously a better character. Not a coincidence that an ant-man movie is going to be released when no one talks about a wasp movie.
    Last edited by Castel; 11-24-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    Who in hell would want to make or watch a movie about her ?

A weak superhero who only have her powers thanks to her man and a very superficial and shallow woman in top of that.

Movie of the summer !!

Ant-man is obviously a better character. Not a coincidence that an ant-man movie is going to be released when no one talks about a wasp movie.
    Oh yeah, a movie which inspires "LOLs" and "WTFs?" at the mere mention of the title.

Also, yeah you can also describe loads of money making franchises in the same way you did-

Who in hell would want to make or watch a movie about a loser girl who crushes on pale, sparkly teen vampire boys and shirtless werewolves?
    Who in hell would want to make or watch a VERY expensive movie about two blue alien cats who make love by connecting their hair braids together?
    Who in hell would want to make or watch a movie about a shallow billionaire playboy who is flamboyant, arrogant, a WMD corporate head who needs a metal armor to fight crime?

And most fitting of all, who in hell would want to make or watch a show based off a flop film about a shallow, superficial cheerleader girl who is randomly just given superpowers to slay vampires and demons?

FYI, the dude who made "The Avengers" the billion dollar success it was wanted to make that show, and legions of people ended up watching and loving all of the movies and shows I just mentioned.

Honestly we'll have to wait and see how Ant-Man does. I have no doubt Edgar Wright will make it awesome, but he's not a character who I generally see as having broad appeal on the level of someone like Iron Man or Thor, where their powers basically amount to excuses to blow shit up.

Though if Ant-Man is actually coming out in November, I would not be surprised if they used the Wasp in Avengers 2 first, if for no other reason than to break up the gender ratio a bit. That and Whedon is quite fond of her, apparently.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Propagandor View Post
    Thank u. Tearing down Ant-Man doesn't help sell a case for Wasp. The same problems Ant-Man would face, Wasp would face too. I mean u can switch the word Ant-Man for Wasp into the paragraph u quoted, and nothing would change. Tearing down Ant-Man doesn't help the case for Wasp, it hurts it.

And guess what OP the Ant-Man movie is happening. So at this point Wasp's chances are probably gonna depend on how people respond to that. I mean if Ant-Man movie doesn't do well do u think think the chances for a Wasp movie is gonna be greater or lesser then?
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-24-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    Age of Twilight/Beiber/Gaga/Kardashian/Katniss/Glee is the age of macho guy stuff? Really now?
    You'd have a pretty good point if any of those were comics.

Ah geez, wolf boy's taking his pants off again? Make him stop or we'll all go blind!!