Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    Spawn of Frankenstein

Who did the artwork here? I feel like I should recognise the style but can't come up with a name.

Klarion was a good Kirby creation, and one of the few from Kirby's DC period that was later developed in an imaginative way by another writer - Grant Morrison in his Seven Soldiers project from a few years back.

Moondragon I really liked in the Englehart/Perez Avengers, but no one since has managed to do anything interesting with the character, as far as I'm aware.

The Human Target always sounded like a neat idea, but I haven't read any of the comics. I did try the pilot episode of the tv series, but wasn't tempted to carry on with it.

Destiny, was he strictly a framing character for introducing stories in the DC horror anthologies, or did he sometimes appear as an active agent in the main story? I like the visual in that panel, which I forgot to quote and reproduce here.

Spawn of Frankenstein, in the back pages of Phantom Stranger, was by Michael Kaluta and also by Bernard Baily (written by Marv Wolfman and also by Steve Skeates). I believe the panel shown above is by Kaluta.
    Last edited by An Ear In The Fireplace; 11-06-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Moondragon I really liked in the Englehart/Perez Avengers, but no one since has managed to do anything interesting with the character, as far as I'm aware.

Destiny, was he strictly a framing character for introducing stories in the DC horror anthologies, or did he sometimes appear as an active agent in the main story? I like the visual in that panel, which I forgot to quote and reproduce here.
    Moondragon had some interesting character stuff in Peter Gillis' New Defenders, though it is not for everyone (including myself for the most part). It is interesting though.

I don't know if Destiny got involved in the classic stories, but he apparently was co-opted by Neil Gaiman and used as one of the Endless in Sandman. Len Wein mentioned this in the new issue of Alter Ego, which is the only reason I know it.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Don't have time at the moment (stupid work!) to scroll through the posts, but if the "Search Thread" function is to be believed, Infectious Lass has not been mentioned.

For shame!
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    Spawn of Frankenstein, in the back pages of Phantom Stranger, was by Michael Kaluta and also by Bernard Baily (written by Marv Wolfman and also by Steve Skeates). I believe the panel shown above is by Kaluta.
    That sounds right. I might have to hunt for these, because that looks very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Moondragon had some interesting character stuff in Peter Gillis' New Defenders, though it is not for everyone (including myself for the most part). It is interesting though.
    Well, different things interest different readers, so maybe I should have said rather that I haven't seen anyone since Englehart & Perez reproduce what made their version of the character interesting to me during their Avengers run. So I think for me this is another example of liking only one particular incarnation of a character as opposed to liking the character in general. Because, though I wasn't reading anything from Marvel when those Defenders issues came out, I picked some of them up from a $1 bin years later and it wasn't my kind of thing at all.

I don't know if Destiny got involved in the classic stories, but he apparently was co-opted by Neil Gaiman and used as one of the Endless in Sandman. Len Wein mentioned this in the new issue of Alter Ego, which is the only reason I know it.
    I still haven't read past the first Sandman trade, but I'll get to the rest eventually, so I'll get to see what they did with Destiny one of these days.
    Last edited by berk; 11-06-2012 at 11:09 PM.

BANNED

Yes. This is a fascinating piece of really obscure information which is not even remotely well known to just about anyone who was reading DC in the 70s and is very definitely not a case of stating the totally bleeding obvious. Honest.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Somebody's cornflakes obviously got urinated in this morning, I see.

Very, very bad form there. Perhaps you've mistaken this forum for one of those where being a total pompous jerk is admired behavior.

(As someone "who was reading DC in the '70s," BTW, I wouldn't know Destiny from a hole in the ground.)
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 11-06-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

"...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Don't have time at the moment (stupid work!) to scroll through the posts, but if the "Search Thread" function is to be believed, Infectious Lass has not been mentioned.

For shame!
    Yay!

Also: Stegron the goddamn Dinosaur Man!
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Very, very bad form there. Perhaps you've mistaken this forum for one of those where being a total pompous jerk is admired behavior.

(As someone "who was reading DC in the '70s," BTW, I wouldn't know Destiny from a hole in the ground.)
    As someone who spent the '70s as a Marvel Zombie but really got into Vertigo before it was Vertigo, I'm delighted to hear that Destiny first appeared that early.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    As someone who spent the '70s as a Marvel Zombie but really got into Vertigo before it was Vertigo, I'm delighted to hear that Destiny first appeared that early.

Not to mention the fact that Scott Harris was responding to a question, so even if the answer was already known to everyone in the world but me it was still basic courtesy to post the info, no matter how obvious it might or might not have been.

Foolkiller

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by GavinR View Post

Foolkiller
    What did you think of the early 90s miniseries? I thought it was a bit strident. Still a good read, though, and certainly stood out from anything else Marvel was publishing at the time.

Gerber alone came up with so many. The Guardians of the Galaxy - were they his, or did he take them over from someone else?

Captain Canuck

Cerebus the Aardvark

Neil the Horse

BANNED

While she didn't appear in American comics as Psylocke until 1986, Betsy Braddock first appeared in Captain Britain #8, the 70's weekly superhero comic published by Marvel's England branch.

Depends on how you look at it, I guess.
    Not really. There's only one way to look at it-Betsy Braddock debuted in 1976.
    And BTW, Marvel UK was not "Marvel's England branch". It did actually sell comics in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, too (in case anyone missed it, that's my not very subtle way of pointing out that "England" and "Britain" are not the same thing).

Jamie Braddock, Slaymaster, Roma and the Mastermind computer, all recurring characters in the Captain Britain mythos, also first appeared in the 70s.
    Last edited by tony ingram; 11-07-2012 at 05:12 AM.