View Poll Results: Is Storm an A-List Character?

Voters
187. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

    115 61.50%
  • No

    72 38.50%
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 411
  1. #256
    Judgment Awaits LordAllMighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .AČ View Post
    No, lol I know. It was intentional. I mean that Carol is probably going to be in Avengers II, by which stage she'll both have her own solo series, and have appeared in one of the highest-grossing films of all time. Black Widow can only attest to one of those claims. Storm can't lay claim to either.
    The way things are going Carol won't have a book when Avengers II comes out,
    Destiny's Child - "If" - Here

  2. #257
    Veteran Member Omegastorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .AČ View Post
    I didn't say it did. I said that by the time Carol is introduced in the movie franchise, Marvel will consider her their flagship female.
    They already do, which is funny because she doesn't have the brand recognition that Storm has. Carol is great but she is nowhere near as popular as Storm is.

    o

  3. #258
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valeria Kementari View Post
    I don't read DC crap
    Ah, I see. You're one of those people who thinks it's clever to have brand loyalty to a publishing company. Says it all, really.

    Quote Originally Posted by Omegastorm View Post
    That's not true. Watching old reruns of something that barely comes on tv worldwide are not good indicators of global popularity, especially when the Supergirl film was nearly 30 years ago, and the batman reruns are from the 60's. Not only that but even though the Batman cartoons were great Batgirl was never really the center of it. On the other hand having three $100,000,000 dollar film franchise is a bit bigger and more recognizable.

    o
    I don't think you're aware of how much exposure those old TV shows have worldwide or how deeply ingrained in the public consciousness they are. Much more so than any comparatively recent cartoon series. There isn't a single day going by without the Batman series being shown on several TV channels throughout the world even now, forty years after it was cancelled. Supergirl was last shown on British TV, as far as I'm aware, about three months ago. You seem to be operating under the delusion that the whole world shares the exact same frame of reference of your personal social circle.

  4. #259
    Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMighty View Post
    The way things are going Carol won't have a book when Avengers II comes out,
    With the amount of stick they'd get for cancelling it, they'll hold out a little longer. Personally I only read the first issue, and didn't enjoy it at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Omegastorm View Post
    They already do, which is funny because she doesn't have the brand recognition that Storm has. Carol is great but she is nowhere near as popular as Storm is.

    o
    The problem is that like most of the X-Men, Storm doesn't really function as a solo character.
    PAD's All-New, All-Different X-Factor: From The Beginning
    X-Poster of the Month & Year: (August) 2012 | March 2013
    Come to Deathstrike & .AČ: Mutant League Champions 2013

  5. #260
    No Day but Today Viteh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .AČ View Post
    The problem is that like most of the X-Men, Storm doesn't really function as a solo character.
    Exactly.
    I think it really comes down to the fact that the X-Men as a team are the franchise.

    The Avengers are a bunch of smaller franchises put together (Hulk, Iron Man, Cap, Thor, plus a lot of smaller characters). Which is why those members can carry their own book, because they are a thing all by themselves. They have an identity outside of the Avengers.

    Most X-Men can't hold a solo book because you are only getting a fraction of something. Wolverine is the usual exception, mainly because he sort of became his own thing decades ago.
    "That's a very nice school you have here, it'd be a shame if someone dropped some Sentinels on it"

  6. #261
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    Exactly.
    I think it really comes down to the fact that the X-Men as a team are the franchise.

    The Avengers are a bunch of smaller franchises put together (Hulk, Iron Man, Cap, Thor, plus a lot of smaller characters). Which is why those members can carry their own book, because they are a thing all by themselves. They have an identity outside of the Avengers.

    Most X-Men can't hold a solo book because you are only getting a fraction of something. Wolverine is the usual exception, mainly because he sort of became his own thing decades ago.
    Same thing with the Fantastic Four. The only one really capable of functioning as an independent character is the Thing. And there's nothing wrong with that-there's no reason a team character needs to be a major solo star. They don't need to be A list characters, the team itself is the star.

  7. #262
    Junior Member MrSinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Ah, I see. You're one of those people who thinks it's clever to have brand loyalty to a publishing company. Says it all, really.

    I don't think you're aware of how much exposure those old TV shows have worldwide or how deeply ingrained in the public consciousness they are. Much more so than any comparatively recent cartoon series. There isn't a single day going by without the Batman series being shown on several TV channels throughout the world even now, forty years after it was cancelled. Supergirl was last shown on British TV, as far as I'm aware, about three months ago. You seem to be operating under the delusion that the whole world shares the exact same frame of reference of your personal social circle.
    that's why DC was dead for 40 years because their target group was people above their 40s. 15-30 yo is the target group a clever comics company should aim for. most of them don't even know this old batman show you are saying or who selina is. why should they anyway?

  8. #263
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    that's why DC was dead for 40 years because their target group was people above their 40s. 15-30 yo is the target group a clever comics company should aim for. most of them don't even know this old batman show you are saying or who selina is. why should they anyway?
    You clearly know very little about the history of DC, or possibly just have a very shaky grasp of time. "40 years ago" would be the early 1970s. The average age of a DC reader back then was probably about ten years old, and I assure you, even 20 years ago (by which time they were aiming rather older) DC was far from "dead" (the late eighties/early nineties were a considerably more profitable time for DC or Marvel than now is). And contrary to your apparent conviction, I'm afraid you don't have to be under 30 to count in this world.

  9. #264
    Junior Member Rotm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cybrestrike View Post
    Wolverine sells t shirts and toys...and that's one of the main reasons you've got a former assassin and loner as the headmaster for a school. That, and the frat boys in charge of writing the X-books don't know how to write Storm. She's The Artifact: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheArtifact

    That's why the Schism as it was seemed ridiculous to me. It should've been Cyclops versus Storm. Or hell, to an extent even Rogue if you wanted to go that far. At least Civil War made some kind of sense in the beginning. Sort of.
    If any X character is an artifact its Charles. They can't however let him stay dead because of how synonymous with the property he is.

    Storm is barely even the most recognizable X female and probably holds onto the spot due to the writers inadvertently sabotaging the competition.

    I agree about Schism however. It wasn't constructed along any sort of generational line or anything besides random team A and random team B.

  10. #265
    Junior Member Rotm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Same thing with the Fantastic Four. The only one really capable of functioning as an independent character is the Thing. And there's nothing wrong with that-there's no reason a team character needs to be a major solo star. They don't need to be A list characters, the team itself is the star.

    The FF members don't have the capacity for believeable independent action. Writing the idea that Sue for instance is going to start flying solo on her downtime would require a major redefinition in the character's relationships.

    It wouldn't take much of a leap at all to move an X character off on their own in the same way DC franchises the Batfamily members. Its really as simple as getting across that Wolverine(their model on how to do it) is someone who doesn't/wouldn't live at the mansion/school whatever, and that being an X-Man is a set of ideals and not a job i.e. Avenger.

  11. #266
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stussyjones View Post
    spoilers
    Nice spoilers douchebag.
    Last edited by Optic Rage; 11-05-2012 at 11:17 AM.

  12. #267
    Veteran Member stussyjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The ruins of Genosha
    Posts
    5,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Optic Rage View Post
    Nice spoilers douchebag.
    Lol dude its Monday get over it

  13. #268
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stussyjones View Post
    Lol dude its Monday get over it
    Yes, because the internet is actually America and everyone in the world gets to watch it at the same time as you do. Idiot. You should wait until a few days at least, not the morning after.

  14. #269
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stussyjones View Post
    Lol dude its Monday get over it
    You are aware that we're not all in the same country, yes?

  15. #270
    Veteran Member stussyjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The ruins of Genosha
    Posts
    5,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    You are aware that we're not all in the same country, yes?
    Smh totally forgot I apologize world do you forgive me

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •