View Poll Results: Is Storm an A-List Character?

Voters
187. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

115 61.50%
  • No

72 38.50%
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Well comicvine lists Storm's comic book appearances at 4573 currently. Wonder Woman's appearances are at 4015.
    Comicvine is editable by anyone. All that number means is that more Storm appearances have been physically added to their database then Wonder Woman appearances. There are characters on there listed as having less than a dozen appearances who've had very long careers in multiple books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mr_hyde2120 View Post
    She should be the leader of the X-Men. She was when I started reading, and she should be again. She's deff an A-list, sucks psylocke will lead Uncanny X-Force.
    Cyclops was the leader when I started reading, so he still should be. See how that works?

Quote Originally Posted by Daesim View Post
    I have to take exception with the idea of Storm being more popular than Wonder Woman. That is definitely stretching it. Storm has been featured in successful live action films portrayed by a gorgeous oscar winner, and three popular animated serials. Outside of the Justice league cartoons, Wonder Woman is best remembered for super-friends and a campy live action serial. And everyone STILL knows who she is. And she can STILL carry her own comic. Storm's got no excuses for coming in second place considering all the advantages she's had over the years, but second place she is.
    Agreed. Actually, I think to the general public both Supergirl and (thanks to endless reruns of the 60s Batman series) Batgirl are better known worldwide than Storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegastorm View Post
    How? Carrying her title that is slowly loosing readers. She has the same problem T'challa has. She can't carry a book for long and that's even with her being the first major female hero.
    "Can't carry a book for long"? She's been carrying a book almost continuously for over 70 years!

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    I doubt if most of the general public has any idea who Storm is. Pretty much the entire planet recognizes Wonder Woman, even if they've never read a comic. Also, I have no idea what you mean by "antagonist" in this context. The two characters have never met. Wonder Woman. Supergirl. Batgirl. You want more?
    antagonist in terms of popularity. they met in marvel versus dc and storm kick her butt because she is more popular. the general public has no idea who these women are believe me i have asked. batgirl supergirl?? i laughed my ass out. Even i who read comics 20 years don't even know who they are. Be serious plz. no movies no protagonist role in a cartoon never great sales in comics. Storm had all these and also Halle Berry. The general public including most of the people i know recognize Storm. In case you lived in a cave the x-movies grossed 2 billions making the x-men even more famous than before. wonderwoman was famous n the 70s when Lynda Carter portrayed her. so 1.you have no idea 2. i'm still laughing with batgirl and supergirl.

I'd say yes .

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCyclopsRLZ View Post
    She's A-list overall. She hasn't been treated as such for most of the past 10 years, but she's immune to death and still appears in pretty damn every other media. She qualifies.
    That's how I see it too .

Quote Originally Posted by infernohara View Post
    Maybe the marriage was f-ed up, but to be honest I think they needed to downgrade Storm to build Cyclops up. Thats just what Marvel had to do. Mission accomplished..
    Lol . When in doubt , blame Scott Summers .

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    I never watched it, not because I don't like Superman, but because I read that Bryan Singer during a convention, when asked what the movie was about, said it's about what happens "when old boyfriends come back". Seriously. There I saw this couldn't possibly be any good.
    Yeah , that's what I want to see in a Superman movie .

Quote Originally Posted by Drefan21 View Post
    Yeah , that's what I want to see in a Superman movie .
    It kinda baffles me that none of the producers stepped in and said "Guys, what the hell is this? Clark stalking Lois? Forget the whole "decent script" angle; this is just creepy!"

Sure, they were all guys, but still.... smdh
    Last edited by DarthCyclopsRLZ; 11-05-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Comicvine is editable by anyone. All that number means is that more Storm appearances have been physically added to their database then Wonder Woman appearances. There are characters on there listed as having less than a dozen appearances who've had very long careers in multiple books.
    I didn't say the list was a credible one, just a list that shows Storm having more appearances than Wonder Woman. Though for characters as popular as these two I think it gives you a nice ballpark estimate. They have enough dedicated fans who would spend the time to edit their pages. Though I don't really know of a more credible list off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCyclopsRLZ View Post
    It kinda baffles me that none of the producers stepped in and said "Guys, what the hell is this? Clark stalking Lois? Forget the whole "decent script" angle; this is just creepy!"

Sure, they were all guys, but still.... smdh
    Seriously , who thought it was a good idea to make a creepy stalker out of superman ? That one scene where he floats over Lois's house , and uses his x-ray vision to spy on her , creeps me out .

Quote Originally Posted by Drefan21 View Post
    Seriously , who thought it was a good idea to make a creepy stalker out of superman ?
    It worked for Wolverine. Heck, I don't recall Storm objecting much to it in any universe.

Aaaand we're kinda sorta almost back on topic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omegastorm View Post
    They are not mutually exclusive. When she won that popularity contest it was based off of who was the most well known character and she won it easily meaning her connection to the X-men caused her to beat Diana. In that instance it was really about her and not the X-men.
    A popularity contest which means nothing to non comics readers, and to only a comparative handful of comics readers. We're talking about worldwide recognition, here. Storm doesn'treally have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    While I love Storm, I do have to say that anyone who feels she's as present in the public consciousness and in general awareness as Wonder Woman is just kidding themselves. Among comic readers? Fine, if asked to name a female character, Storm will come up a lot, but the general public? Not a chance.
    True.

As for what constitutes A-List? It's a terrifically small number, across both Marvel and DC. I'd go so far as to say that most characters prominent to comic readers themselves are B-list, and the B-list is pretty huge.

Who's Marvel's A-list? Spider-Man sits at the top, on the shoulders of Thor, Wolverine and Cap. Thanks to RDJ, Iron Man is there too now, and the Hulk stands beside them, forever burned into the public's mind by Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno.

That's it. DCs is even smaller.
    I'm not qualified to say who is really recognizable to the American public, but I'd say that as far as the UK and probably Europe goes, the only superheroes known to the general public are Superman, Batman & Robin (though they mostly think Dick is still Robin), Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, the Hulk and Wolverine. The movies have probably raised awareness of Cap, Iron Man and Thor, but not to such a degree that they're household names like Supes or Spidey.

Storm has been In way more non-comic entertainment than Wonder Woman has, i.e: Video Games, Movies, merchandise.

So unless ya got an example of Wonder Woman comparing to Storm In non-comic book entertainment exposure, ya should cut the trolling shit.
    Sorry, this is utter rubbish. Wonder Woman has been featuring in non comics entertainment and merchandising since the 1940s. The WW TV show ran for three years and was shown in countries all over the world (and still is), as were the Super Friends cartoons which went on, under several names, for over a decade. She's had action figures going back to the 1970s, been featured on lunch boxes, pyjamas, bedsheets, pencil tops, and God knows what else-and that's not counting her appearances on every item of merchandise featuring the JLA. There's no comparison.

BANNED

How did this thread devolve into such trivialities like counting number of appearances? It's not like there's a well-defined criteria for being an A-lister, so screw what the facts are, what does your gut tell you? Does she stand out in a crowd and does she have an undeniable presence that can't be ignored or tossed aside? Is there any particular sentiment in society that she speaks to more strongly than anyone else? And most importantly, if Marvel didn't need to have a minority or female to balance out the lineup whenever they show off all their big names, would she even be up for consideration there?

BANNED

You're really trying, An iconic TV show? You're dating yourself with that shit. Look i'd bang linda Carter just like anyone else. But Iconic? C'mon man that shit was in the 70's

I'm talking about modern exposure. She has a cartoon...... Storm has 3 movies, cartoons, Video Games. Again I'm talkin about modern exposure. Not some shit that can be caught on TV Land at 3am.
    You do realize there are a lot more people alive today for whom the 1970s are still a very clear memory than there are people of your age (I assume from this comment that you're under 40)?

Quote Originally Posted by darknessatnoon View Post
    They weren't dressed as Wonder Woman. She has a black cousin named Nubia. Use google.
    Nubia didn't wear the same costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Valeria Kementari View Post
    you're living 30 years ago if you believe that. Kids nowadays don't know who WW or the Super Friends are
    Again: most of the world's population aren't kids. Nobody was asking who's more recognizable to kids; we were discussing who is more recognizable overall.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    antagonist in terms of popularity. they met in marvel versus dc and storm kick her butt because she is more popular. the general public has no idea who these women are believe me i have asked. batgirl supergirl?? i laughed my ass out.
    You've asked the entire non comics reading population of the planet? I'm sorry, but if I walked into the corner store here and asked the first three people I met who Batgirl is, chances are two of them would know. Storm? Not a chance, unless it was someone under 20.
    Even i who read comics 20 years don't even know who they are.
    That really says more about you than anything ese.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I didn't say the list was a credible one, just a list that shows Storm having more appearances than Wonder Woman. Though for characters as popular as these two I think it gives you a nice ballpark estimate. They have enough dedicated fans who would spend the time to edit their pages. Though I don't really know of a more credible list off the top of my head.
    I'd say the DC and Marvel Database Wikis are fairly reliable, though not infallible. The Marvel DB has 1, 286 appearances of Storm listed (there are probably some they've missed). According to the DC DB, if you add the number of listed (again, there are likely some they've missed) appearances of the Golden Age, Silver Age and modern Wonder Womans (all effectively versions of the same character from DC's distinct continuity eras) it totals 2, 179. The modern (ie post-1986) Wonder Woman alone has 1, 194 appearances listed, which is almost as many as Storm has racked up since 1975.

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

Storm has had more apperances than Wonder Woman in comics only because X-titles more get translated into foreign languages than WW's comics.

Is she an A-list in Marvel? Of course she is. I even believe she's the most recognizable superheroine and the No.1 female character in MU, and I think she's qualified to be an A-list in fandom too. But my non-comic-reader friends have no idea who she is. Most of them have seen the x-movies and when I mentioned Storm they all responded like "oh I knew her, Halle Berry! She can control the weather!" Interestingly, however, they considered Wonder Woman as the symbol of superheroine, Catwoman as the symol of femme fatale, and could say a lot of things that they read from newspaper, magazines and internet to show how awesome those two characters are, even though they've never read any comics about them. I guess DC female characters are way more well-known that their counterparts in MU in the general public. The reason of that phenomenon is of course not female characters themselves; I blame Marvel.
    In dog days, all we need is Frost.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    Storm has had more apperances than Wonder Woman in comics only because X-titles more get translated into foreign languages than WW's comics.
    I don't think translations really count. It's the same comic, regardless of what language you're reading it in.