View Poll Results: Is Storm an A-List Character?

Voters
187. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

115 61.50%
  • No

72 38.50%
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Storm is Marvel's most prominent female and black character. She is second to only Wonder Woman, yet probably more popular, in terms of most recognizable. Shes in 98% of films, cartoon, video games, apparel, etc. And while she has been used poorly the past few years she been put on Fantastic Four and Avengers spreading the relevance in the Marvel Universe at large. I don't think you can fully compare the Avengers characters to X-Men characters, their concepts are too different. Avengers root concept is established characters, usually with pre-established background coming together to fight threats they can't alone. Where X-Men is about finding new characters similar to themselves to fight the world against. X-Men character are built more to serve a team and not solo titles (just like the Fantastic Four characters). This limits the number of individuals that are considered A-List or Iconic. The only A-List X-Men are Wolverine, Storm, and Cyclops (who is fairly distant from the previous).
    It's next to impossible for a female superhero to ever become as popular as WW because of how saturated the modern day mainstream has become, lot's of people would have no idea who Storm is but almost everyone knows who Wonder Woman is, her very name is a popular expression for a talented woman and her costume was still incredibly popular before the superhero film boom.

Catwoman would be ahead of her by quite a bit as well.
    Last edited by DexterSinister; 11-03-2012 at 09:56 PM.

She is A lister she is the best heroine marvel has I can't think of any heroine in the marvel universe that's better than her

All I gotta say is she should have her own ongoing book if you ask me. I think between the movies and cartoons plus all the merchandise, she's a fairly recognizable character at this point. I voted yes.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    All I gotta say is she should have her own ongoing book if you ask me. I think between the movies and cartoons plus all the merchandise, she's a fairly recognizable character at this point. I voted yes.
    Good luck finding a writer at Marvel who would take on the task of writing an ongoing about a black woman from Africa. Claremont could be trusted to do so -- since its originally his character -- but, again, the lack of diversity in the X-Offices might make it a challenge to say the least.

The ultimate argument from their end would be that the book wouldn't sell but the reality is that almost any book will sell with good enough writing and artwork.

If Miles (Morales) can do it, no doubt Ororo could as well.

To be Honest, outside of Marvel's Big 6, DC's big 7, and the Batman Family, who could you consider "Household names"?
    Wolvie616 is Mozambiquey

BANNED

Storm is the most well-known X-Character after Wolverine.

BANNED

she was once and could easily be again

My Canon > Your Canon

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnhop View Post
    Storm is the most well-known X-Character after Wolverine.
    Quote Originally Posted by quillero View Post
    she was once and could easily be again
    I agree with this.

Apart from Frost most of the X women have been 'D' list over the past few years. Kitty is currently the worst she's ever been. Rogue was given a lead role but the way she was written, as little more than Magneto's glorified bedwarmer/Cyclops' whipping girl, has destroyed her character. Shoving Storm down readers' throats by having her in every comic going will do no good unless she's well written. These days the only person capable of writing strong females is Brian Wood in the Ultimate U (apart from Rogue who is still annoyingly emo!).

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

I voted 'no' because Storm fans are annoying and she is usually uninteresting.

With no concrete criteria to decide who in American superhero comic is 'A-list', 'no' and 'yes' are both equally justifiable. That which can be asserted without evidence (evidence here being data which affirms a hypothesis) can be rebutted without evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie616 View Post
    To be Honest, outside of Marvel's Big 6, DC's big 7, and the Batman Family, who could you consider "Household names"?
    A few of DC's Big 7 aren't well known - neither Martian Manhunter nor his recent replacement Cyborg are, many people are confused when GL is white, some people may well think Aquaman is a collective hallucination of an awful superhero. And Batman of late is associated with Alfred, Gordon and maybe Robin. More of his villains are well known - Scarecrow, Joker, Penguin, Riddler.

Big 6? Never heard of that before. Spidey, Cap, Ironman, Hulk, Thor, Wolvie? Cyclops, Xavier, Magneto, Storm, maybe Rogue and Iceman are fairly well known, by looks if not name.
    Last edited by vampiric_cannibal; 11-04-2012 at 01:00 AM.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

She is the most popular female character Marvel ever has, whether they like it or not. She's always up there featured with Marvel's biggest in video games, comics, posters, trades, etc.

And hardly having a solo book could be considered A-List. Popularity doesn't always equate to sales nowadays. And is Wonder Woman even selling well? Solo female comics will always be tougher to sell than solo B-list/C-list male characters.

I'd consider her an A-Lister but maybe one that doesn't necessarily get treated as one in comics all the time, especially in recent years until Marvel Now that is. I mean outside of Wolverine there isn't another X-Men character that is more featured in other media than her, and I would say she is probably Marvel's most well known female character and easily their most well known minority character.

As of right now I'd place her just behind Wonder Woman and Catwoman as the top 3 most well known/popular female mainstream comic characters.

She definitely is, and I believe Storm is the No.1 female character of Marvel. But sadly, she's not as huge as Wonder Woman or even Catwoman in non-comic readers eyes. But well, she still is the most popular Marvel superheroine.
    In dog days, all we need is Frost.

BANNED

No, she's not an A list character just as none of the X-Men are, except for Wolverine. She was created to be one component in a team book and she hasn't really moved beyond that. I think the minimum requirement for being an A list character is at least having a solo book, if not a fairly high level of recognition by the general public outside of comics fandom.