Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Green Arrow New 52

As a old Marvel & Image fan I never really ventured into the DC world. When I was collecting was around the time Superman died and I didnt even think twice about picking up a issue. Recently I started watching Arrow on CW and I got hooked, so I figured Id see about picking up a handfull of his comics. Beleive it or not I didnt know Oliver Queen was a old hero I thought he was a new guy greated for the New 52 launch. So I placed a bid on the current New 52 run #0-13 decided Id go around $50-60 max I got outbid and it ended up selling for $92. Would you base these final price on the fact that its a excellent book or hype of the new tv show? I thought about picking up the trade but got a little scared when I saw alot of poor reviews saying this Oliver Queen isnt the same or even nearly as good. I still plan on picking up a few older Green Arrow books such as the Quiver and Longbow storys but is the New 52 worth investing in? Is it a excellent story or just what should I expect?

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

I wouldn't bother with the new run.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

Wow, someone paid $7 per issue? ...why?

But yeah, it hasn't been well received from the word "go." It's pretty universal it seems. The best compliments I've seen the book gather were something along the lines of "well it's not as bad as it was" which isn't saying much.

If you're really into the CW arrow, I'd pick up Green Arrow: Year One, the show is based it's tone off of that a lot. And honestly, the digital tie in comic (that should be coming to print this month, I think) offers some backstory fill ins we're probably not going to get on the show, and it's pretty good for what it is.
    Last edited by FHIZ; 11-03-2012 at 12:56 PM.

See if your local library has the new trade. It's called "The Midas Touch." Really, though, most people think that book was terrible and that the book only became worth the time to read with issue #7 when Ann Nocenti took over as writer. Her work starts with Volume 2, "Triple Threat." The trade paperback comes out early next year, but single issues are in comic stores and online at comixology.com.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

If you're a fan of the television versions (Arrow and/or Smallville), you'll probably enjoy the title. Seeing as how you're new to the character you'll probably enjoy it just fine.

I've read older stories and enjoyed them. I was never excited for the character, nor disliked him in any way. I'm enjoying the new series.

But, yeah, if they're selling fo so much just grab the trade.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

The idea that someone would pay $90 for the New 52 run of GA is mind-boggling. I would honestly and strongly recommend not paying more than $1 an issue. If that. I wish beyond belief that the current comic was more like the tv show. But it isn't. Maybe, if we're lucky, things will change and the comic team will take more cues from the tv show and somehow salvage the book.

BANNED

Someone did you a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE favor by outbidding you on those books. The New 52 Green Arrow comic is actually one of their worst titles. Go read the classic strip Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell or even read the new Arrow digital comic based on the TV show. Issue #4 just came out this week. It's 99 cents every Wednesday.

Amazon:
    Longbow Hunters
    Year One

Both trades are a combined cost of $20.01 at the moment.

f you want them digitally: Longbow Hunters is $2.99 an issue on Comixology
    Last edited by MichaelPaytonMZ; 11-04-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added links

BANNED

$92????
    HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Be lucky you lost that auction.
    Green Arrow has gone down hill since Judd Winnick took over. Now don't get me wrong. I did like some of his stuff and I'm not a hater (although his social commentary BS gets annoying), but it started to taper off toward the end of that series. Then there was the disaster of a title: Green Arrow/Black Canary. Talk about a POS. Then there was that thing that was even worse. The Brightest Day stuff or whatever where he hid and the woods and cried a lot to a fake night and used cheesy dialogue. And now the New 52.
    Good Lord. This stuff makes excellent toilet paper.
    So, long story short, there really is nothing out there of recent at least for you. I've also watched Arrow and I like it. That said, I don't know if I like it because it's not that bad of a show (minus the acting) or that I compare it to the GA trash that's DC has crapped out the past five years.

BANNED

Do people really use bad comics in the toilet?

$92 for NEW 52 Green Arrow

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLL - seriously we need lol smiles on this board

why not go to comixology, its probably 1,99 or 99 an issue now. You really got lucky that someone beat you to buy this trash, count your blessing.

On a more serious note, Its better to read back stories seriously, the new 52 GA is the worst run of the character ever.
    Hate to be some kind of sheep, but its true, Green Arrow:Longbow hunters mini series is a fantastic piece. Try also Green Arrow year one, Green Arrow volume 3 (2001-2007).
    Green Arrow/Black Canary its not as bad as people say it is, its way ahead of the new 52 GA. Its family and team orientated if you like that and Cliff chiang's art is just fantastic, its worth it to give a few issues that he drew in this title a read at least.

Connor Hawke's Dragon's blood this isnt about Oliver Queen but his son Connor Hawke (a casualty of the new 52) this is a brilliant piece, the art and writing is great. Mini series.

Somewhat really old and may not be easy to find but the Green Arrow/Green lantern team up in the 1960/70s was a good one too.
    The TV show comic looks good so far, they seem to have some great artist on board Mike Grell, Phil Hester, if you are watching the show it would be good to read he tie in comic as some backstories are touched on in the comics, they expand the episodes with the tie in.

Welcome to Green Arrow this is a fantastic character thats not always done right, & we are a nice bunch, maybe somewhat a bit crazy, really we are nice . Enjoy.
    Last edited by ArsenalX; 11-05-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MT2 View Post
    As a old Marvel & Image fan I never really ventured into the DC world. When I was collecting was around the time Superman died and I didnt even think twice about picking up a issue. Recently I started watching Arrow on CW and I got hooked, so I figured Id see about picking up a handfull of his comics. Beleive it or not I didnt know Oliver Queen was a old hero I thought he was a new guy greated for the New 52 launch. So I placed a bid on the current New 52 run #0-13 decided Id go around $50-60 max I got outbid and it ended up selling for $92. Would you base these final price on the fact that its a excellent book or hype of the new tv show? I thought about picking up the trade but got a little scared when I saw alot of poor reviews saying this Oliver Queen isnt the same or even nearly as good. I still plan on picking up a few older Green Arrow books such as the Quiver and Longbow storys but is the New 52 worth investing in? Is it a excellent story or just what should I expect?
    The New 52 Green Arrow may see an improvement when they change writers (AGAIN!) . . . Jeff Lemire will have his shot (no pun intended) with issue #17.
    (http://jefflemire.blogspot.com/2012/...e-for-pre.html)

But in the meantime, DC has created a digital comic book based on the Arrow TV show . . . those stories are also being collected into a print comic book as well.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalLight View Post
    $92????
    HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Be lucky you lost that auction.
    Green Arrow has gone down hill since Judd Winnick took over. Now don't get me wrong. I did like some of his stuff and I'm not a hater (although his social commentary BS gets annoying), but it started to taper off toward the end of that series. Then there was the disaster of a title: Green Arrow/Black Canary. Talk about a POS. Then there was that thing that was even worse. The Brightest Day stuff or whatever where he hid and the woods and cried a lot to a fake night and used cheesy dialogue. And now the New 52.
    Good Lord. This stuff makes excellent toilet paper.
    So, long story short, there really is nothing out there of recent at least for you. I've also watched Arrow and I like it. That said, I don't know if I like it because it's not that bad of a show (minus the acting) or that I compare it to the GA trash that's DC has crapped out the past five years.
    Couldn't disagree with you more on Winick's run. GA is a character with a social conscience and is better when written that way. Winick's politics and the character were much closer to the Ollie that Denny O'Neill (re)created than the Mike Grell series. Not to mention he gave Dinah a purpose in Ollie's life instead of 70 issues of her staying home looking after a floral shop. It did take a dramatic turn quality wise while written by Andrew Kreisberg followed by the bland J.T. Krul but I can not fault Winick at all for his stellar run.
    With the new 52 run there was a brief period of about 3 issues that were pretty good (4-7 I believe in between J.T. and the shockingly bad Ann Nocenti).
    I'd strongly recommend reading from Kevin Smith's run onward then stop when Judd Winick leaves.
    So basically in collected editions:
    Green Arrow
    Quiver 1-10
    Sounds of Violence 11-15
    Archer's Quest 16-21
    (Not collected 22-25)
    Straight Shooter 26-31
    City Walls 32,34-39
    Moving Targets 40-50
    Heading into the Light 52,54-59
    Crawling from the Wreckage 60-65
    Road to Jericho 66-75

Green Arrow/Black Canary
    Road to the Altar 1-5
    Family Business 6-10
    a League of their Own 11-14
    Then stop this run!

Long Bow Hunters is a great read but Mike Grell's run proper is a tad meh.
    Any Green Arrow fan MUST have Green Lantern/Green Arrow which has just been released as a Trade Paper Back, the writing is a bit out of date but it's probably one of the most important comics when it comes to politics in comics.
    And there's always Year One by Andy Diggle (yes the character was named after him) and Jock.
    Not to forget of course you can use Comixology to buy anything that they've released, most of the Kevin Smith-Winick run is there for 1.99 if you wait for St. Patrick's day they'll probably have another .99 sale on Green Arrow and Green Lantern that they've had the last 2 years.
    Last edited by TheBalzan; 12-06-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Thus far, the New 52 incarnation of Green Arrow has been disappointing, in a word. If you are interested in the character, I recommend Green Arrow: Longbow Hunters, Green Arrow: Quiver, and Green Arrow: Year One, but I'm biased - Kevin Smith's Quiver and the volumes that followed it were the only modern comics I read before becoming a regular reader. The older Green Arrow/Green Lantern books have recently been reprinted and should be enjoyable, but they're somewhat dated and socially aware compared to the current television show.

I too want to get into Green Arrow. I have heard the new series sucks. I think I'll give it a shot when Lemire hops on board. What do you guys think? Will he help the book? Will it still suck? Does anyone even care?
    In PAK We Trust!

Check out my friends Indie Comic Hoods! www.hoodscomic.com

And Check out his Podcast Smashville!

Quote Originally Posted by devinofthedead View Post
    I too want to get into Green Arrow. I have heard the new series sucks. I think I'll give it a shot when Lemire hops on board. What do you guys think? Will he help the book? Will it still suck? Does anyone even care?
    I can tell you I most definitely care. His run on Animal has been pretty good (love the cat). He unlike Nocenti took an interest in the Ollie's history which is a definite plus, and he has big plans at least so it sounds. I think it will be definitely a good read.

On a completely different note I found myself enjoying todays issue (15) of GA.