Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Did Disney Buy Lucasfilm for the Wrong Reasons?

Disney has made it clear the purchase of Lucasfilm on October 30 was for Star Wars and Star Wars alone. SPINOFF asks if this was a short-sighted reason.

Full article here.

Considering the cash they are going to make from SW's alone I'd say they were being anything but short sighted. Were I them I'd see Star Wars as the big win and everything else that comes along with Lucasfilm as a bonus. The goal after all is to make money and I think Star Wars is going to be around for a long time to come still.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Graeme really need to just shut his pie hole. The guy writes stream of consciousness crap that criticizes for no freakin' reason. He both asks a question and answers it himself. Disney obviously already had itself and Pixar to create new IPs. It wants the established (and potentially less risky) IPs that Lucas and Marvel possess to give them less risky returns on their investment. So they are already 1/4 to 1/2 way to having the marvel purchase pay for itself, if not closer than that. And two successful Star Wars films alone combined with merchandising and Disney "in park" tie ins will pay for that itself.

Graeme, this is a bidness... Disney is a creative company, but it is at its core a company that needs to be profitable to keep its people employed and to help grow itself and the general US economy by creating additional jobs whenever possible.

Does it really boggle your mind that this is the case? Really?

Batman is 70 years old and his last two movies grossed over a billion dollars each.

End of discussion.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

so what ARE the wrong reasons?
    Support your local roller derby league

As with every headline that asks a question, the answer is no.

They bought it to make 3 star wars movies and the ability to licens the brand, thus making them more than the 4 billion they spent.
    Making more money is the reason businesses do things.

The power of the rainbow. jade_nova's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    so what ARE the wrong reasons?
    Disney not thinking about they will also own the bad films that have been made under the Lucasfilm banner.
    "Here's to me and here's to you. If we should ever disagree, then here's to me and to hell with you," William O. Astle 1905-2002

"Damn you, Harlot! Science and I know what we're doing," Reed Richards

http://captain-smiley.livejournal.com/-Here be Countdown summaries.

The bad films which have made a lot of money in theatrical and DVD sales. Yeah, like that would bother them.

I could see an argument made if one were to say Disney has no interest in Indiana Jones and other Lucas properties such as ILM or LucasArts video games. The argument being Disney is making a mistake in not exploiting these properties the same way they're planning new Star Wars material. But, what exactly is Graeme saying here? That Disney over-paid for a tired franchise that people don't care about anymore? If so then he's more clueless than people say he is. And they say he is an awful lot.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    I could see an argument made if one were to say Disney has no interest in Indiana Jones and other Lucas properties such as ILM or LucasArts video games. The argument being Disney is making a mistake in not exploiting these properties the same way they're planning new Star Wars material. But, what exactly is Graeme saying here? That Disney over-paid for a tired franchise that people don't care about anymore? If so then he's more clueless than people say he is. And they say he is an awful lot.
    who's to know....just because they didn't announce anything RIGHT NOW

Im fairly sure they will evaluate all of Lucasfilms properties and then go from there...Bob Iger has said that the focus of this deal was Star Wars

Well, Paramount holds the distribution rights to all the present and future Indy movies. That's why there won't be any more movies. (Not to mention Harrison Ford is 70.) My argument was more along the lines of, "Disney just bought all these cool toys, but they only want to play with one of them?"
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    Well, Paramount holds the distribution rights to all the present and future Indy movies. That's why there won't be any more movies. (Not to mention Harrison Ford is 70.) My argument was more along the lines of, "Disney just bought all these cool toys, but they only want to play with one of them?"
    I see it as buying a real nice car, with some random junk inside of it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5742797_460s.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	103771

They like to buy shit.

Miramax was shut down a while back.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy