Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    Yeah, I was trying to figure out why this looks so much better than it usually does. Damn, what a difference.
    Rags said as much, over and over again.

Seeing is b elieving I guess.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

I can tell you I've never read a Rags Morales interview in my life, some of us haven't, so it's a nice surprise to me.

I'm almost considering skipping class cause I really want this thing...

Its not the first time where I felt that the back ups of AC actually made me enjoy the book a whole lot better. I feel like sometimes Morrison's books are such a slow burn that the only issues you'll truly enjoy are the last one or two issues. There were plenty of things being set up in this issue, but not good enough to be read as a single issue. I really enjoyed Sholly Fisch's writing, I don't need big bombastic writing that jumps back and forth time and leaves 20 sub plots in an issue and then only concluding them at the end. Sure, that would be really interesting to be read in trades and I'm sure, it'll all be collected together and it'll be one of the most satisfying run of all time.
    But on a per issue basis, Fisch's back up never fails to put a smile on my face and kinda give a good conclusion to a story.

In short, I'm glad Morrison is ending his run and I'm ready for someone else to pick up the pieces. That isn't to say I don't enjoy Morrison's story, I'm enjoying the ride, but I'm also relieve to see a definite ending to it.

BANNED

Superman, the post-religious/secular Solar Hero, and an army of technomorphs (embodied technology) versus an army of evil angels, revealed, in the end, as the literal hand of the Devil (a cubistic 5th Dimensional imp).

Now vs Then.

Trans-Modern Myth vs Pre-Modern Myth.

Reason vs Superstition.

Science vs "Magic".

God-Within-Us vs Gods-Beyond-Us.

The Fifth World vs The Third World.

NuGods vs Old Gods.

I couldn't have been happier with this issue. Morales's art was fantastic (someone mentioned a new inker--great call).

And the back-up was thematically spot-on (with gorgeous, sexy Sprouse art).

Easily the best issue of a Superman comic since All-Star #12.
    Last edited by Quinnhop; 11-07-2012 at 11:30 AM.

When Quinn makes a post like that^, I get excited. Can't wait to read it.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnhop View Post
    Superman, the post-religious/secular Solar Hero, and an army of technomorphs (embodied technology) versus an army of evil angels, revealed, in the end, as the literal hand of the Devil (a cubistic 5th Dimensional imp).

Now vs Then.

Reason vs Superstition.

Science vs "Magic".

NuGods vs Old Gods.

I couldn't have been happier with this issue. Morales's art was fantastic (someone mentioned a new inker--great call).

I dunno about All-Star #12, but yeah, pretty solid as hell story. The only complaint I can think of is that I'm not sure if maybe Superman defeating the Multitude that easily.

Also, the back-up makes it look like this story does indeed take place in the modern day.

Christ on a stick but why is Chris Sprouse not doing more work on Superman???

I feel like there is a list of artists of a 'type' that you get for Superman; clean, expressive, wonderful storytellers, cartoony without edging into overly stylized. Much as I am liking Rocaforte, I think his stuff would be more appropriate on other books (ditto Lobdell, really).

On Superman I want Chris Sprouse, Cameron Stewart, Chris Burnham, Aaron Kuder, CAFU, Rags Morales when he's inked well, Chris Samnee, Darwyn Cooke, etc. I know it is hard to get a lot of consecutive work out of those guys, but surely you can have them striking together as one massive Leviathan, different arcs for different artists, a Legion of artists.

A Multitude, even.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

So.....Lord Vindixtc....Vindixtic.....The Little Man really was "The Devil" after all.
    The issue felt very "Dr Who". Killer angels, human colonies on Mars, the trick to get rid of them......
    Overall, it was pretty good. Probably not the best to me, but still pretty good. The Multitude may have been a bit easily defeated, but it didn't really felt like a cop out, especially considering the revelation (which would be more of a confirmation for some) in then end concerning them. The battle is far from over.
    Little Man.....you bastard. The art was better than usual for Morales, but it was still inconsistent sometimes.
    Ho, and I like how Superman is still a little cocky, even in the modern day.
    Concerning the back up, I thought it was nice, but I usually like Fisch's work here, as I consider him to be a breather and the opportunity to have more intimate stories that complement with the frenetic main story. As usual, the story was more playing the emotional angle than any "big deal" thing DC advertised it to be. Chris Sprouse was really killing it though.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnghtJared View Post
    I dunno about All-Star #12, but yeah, pretty solid as hell story. The only complaint I can think of is that I'm not sure if maybe Superman defeating the Multitude that easily.

Also, the back-up makes it look like this story does indeed take place in the modern day.

He didn't beat the Multitude at all.....all he did was hurt the little man....who is the Multitude.

Man this issue was so hype!!!! I'd say more than half of my predictions were right!!

This is in fact set in the present as we can see by Superman's lines in the issue and the back up...that was only a week after the final showdown with the little man and that and the anti-Superman army. Also the JL has lost GL by now.....told you guys lol jk.

Also I loved how Superman couldn't possibly beat them in a straight fight and he had to use his brain. I thought Grant handled this so well by showing how amazingly powerful Superman was in the 1st fight (even to the point of awesome cockiness) then Grant lets Superman know that there always something bigger and badder out there

Side note: I think this whole issue proves that Superman has taken after his father in both attitude and brains......this is my Superman

Oh and Einstein? Superman's got your number.....such great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnhop View Post

Now vs Then.

Reason vs Superstition.

Science vs "Magic".

NuGods vs Old Gods.

I actually agree with all of this......I'm even getting there with the All-Star #12 thing (*gasp* I know). The imps last words in the issue really said it all for me.

It was....allright.

The art seemed a little rushed in places, I thought the Multitude would be a much bigger deal - they weren't exactly Asmodel - and I have to say #13 seemed a lot better crafted.

I actually think I enjoyed Superman #13 more than this.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Not having read the issue, I'm imagining that the multitude is a representation of one Imp. As a being of 5 dimensions entering a 3 dimensional plane might look to be coming from everywhere at once, infinitely faceted.
    Well, at least the representation of one Imp's fingers ...
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

Neil deGrasse Tyson is a stud. Best cameo since Colbert.

I wasn't that fond of Rags here. There's something to be said for a sort of pulpy "grounding" of a story this sci-fi, I can see the argument for why people are cool with it, but it just didn't work for me. The story was fine otherwise; things that were built up turned out to be slightly minuscule, tip of the iceberg concepts. I also couldn't help but wonder now if in hindsight Zauriel and the previous angels in Morrison's JLA and Final Crisis are just more developed, less puppet versions of the same aspect. Could the Judeo-Christian God of the DCU basically be something of an Omni-Imp, not dissimilar to Mxyzptlk or Vyndktvx just on a higher scale? Is Jehovah really Lord Jyhvyh, the ascendant ur-djinn, so powerful that his harmonic frequency construct angels actually have free will and can take on lives of their own?

Vyndktvx is a total bastard. He strikes me as like Q from Star Trek: TNG, if Q wasn't just playing horrible pranks to teach humanity a lesson and was actually horrible and killing. Why does this guy have a Death List of Planets? Just for kicks?

I really liked the Metalek resolution.

And is it too much to hope Neil deGrasse Tyson become a regular?
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com