Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Worlds' Finest #6 Preview/Discussion

http://www.comicvine.com/news/exclus...review/145470/
    I stopped reading a while back though I'm back for the Damian guest-starring issues.
    Last edited by LoneNecromancer; 11-03-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Ugh...this is infuriating. I took the book off my pull list after #5 and was ready to wash my hands of it, but this actually looks pretty decent.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkditty View Post
    Ugh...this is infuriating. I took the book off my pull list after #5 and was ready to wash my hands of it, but this actually looks pretty decent.
    RIGHT?! This book is the comicbook equivalent of an abusive relationship. I keep wanting to leave, but I keep coming back, and I just know I'm gonna get hurt again.

I mean, the next issue has Helena, Damian and a werewolf on the cover, so I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that somewhere between this scene, and the next issue, it'll make that switch again.

This is next Wednesday, right? BTW, the above post sums it up for me as well!
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

Yeah I have to agree with the others, this book sucks but it tempts you just enough to keep you coming back for more. Bruce's kids fighting each other is a great plot and that preview looks good. I REALLY liked the zero issue for this series too, which leads me to believe that Perez is a big part of the problem. The Maguire scenes just read a lot better and feel a lot more modern. George Perez is a legend but his style evokes a very particular feeling, and that is hindering this book a lot more than it is helping.

Don't get me wrong, I want Levitz off this book too, for sure, but when you have the same writer with two artists, and one artist's scenes read so much better, that says something.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

Finally, some interaction with the normal DC universe. Looked for a second that Helena and Kara were living in some bubble separate from the rest of the world. Anyone, would be interesting to see 'brother' and 'sister' fight...
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Yah, I dropped this book aways back as well, but bought #0 and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately that issue was the exception to the norm of a book that goes nowhere, has poor character interaction, and is just drawn in a boring manner most of the time. This book needs to do one of two things.

The first would be for them to be ACTIVE agents working on foiling a plot on Earth Prime to harm the inhabitants of their home world of Earth 2, OR just get them back home to Earth 2, cancel this book, and fold them into the newly forming JSA.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    Yah, I dropped this book aways back as well, but bought #0 and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately that issue was the exception to the norm of a book that goes nowhere, has poor character interaction, and is just drawn in a boring manner most of the time. This book needs to do one of two things.

The first would be for them to be ACTIVE agents working on foiling a plot on Earth Prime to harm the inhabitants of their home world of Earth 2, OR just get them back home to Earth 2, cancel this book, and fold them into the newly forming JSA.
    Yeah at this point I'd rather have them back on Earth-2. I agree with you that one of the (many) problems with this book is that the characters currently have no real purpose on Earth Prime. They'd actually be a lot more valuable on Earth-2, where they could stand as legacy heroes upholding the values and memories of the fallen Trinity.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

The heck with all of you poseurs. Go back and re-read your bloated, boring and overrated Final Crisis collections.

This book is a blast. I love Levitz's writing here; his dialogue is engaging and fun and you can tell that he's probably wanted to have Huntress and Power Girl interact with the bigger DCU sooner, but editorial most likely nixed it.

Perez bashers, back up, too. I'll defend this book with every breath in my body. This is one of my favorite DC titles by a wide margin. I wish everything Levitz wrote was this thoroughly entertaining.

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

Personally, I like the idea of Helena and Kara on Prime Earth or whatever Earth the nu52 takes place in but do agree, they are kind of aimless and lack purpose. Kind of hope they stay on Earth but have the power to move back and forth between it and Earth-2 since they are legacy characters there on their birth world.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

This is it. This issue will be the one to convince whether or not I'll continue buying this series. If it doesn't impress me, then it is over (well besides the other two issues that I ordered. My comic shop requires you to order your comics 2 months in advance). Hopefully this can convince me to stick around.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

...Yeah, I still like this book too. I mean, the plots haven't been super-interesting yet, but I've really enjoyed the characterization of Helena and Karen. I just wish we can get more interesting plots out of the book.

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

I'm another who's enjoying the book. I admit to preferring Maguire's art, but I don't have a problem with what Perez is doing. Yes, the first arc's plot was weak, but I enjoyed the character work enough to make the book worth picking up.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

I think this book is okay, but I'd really prefer it contributed to the world building of Earth 2. Robinson can't cover everything in one book.
    However, I'd be over the moon if "World's Finest" was a book featuring Wonder Woman and Batwoman on globe-trotting adventures. There isn't a pair in the New 52 doing what those two are doing right now.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Well, this turned out to be the most fun of any of the issues so far. Things do in fact happen, there's more interaction with the rest of the DCnU than you'd think, and the promise of still more to come. And both ladies do in fact show up in this issue, and Damian gets to 'meet' both of them. The PG costume is still butt-ugly, and still gets shredded, we see three plots showing up here, with two likely becoming important later. The interaction between Helena and Damian is fun, (read fight with talking), and also between Kara and her version of Alfred, who's very snarky just like Alfred.

8/10 from me for this issue. Again, best of the series, and promises more fun to come next month.

Personally, I'd like to see the ladies meet Stormwatch, and go a few rounds with Deathstroke, (though Kara might misinterpret that). But it looks like both ladies have their first meetings planned...
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!