Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Where Do You Rank "the Death of Superman" Among Superman Stories?

Is it in your top 5 or what? Just wondering how the Supes community here thinks of it.

I think it's one of those stories that is a fun read but does not hold up to a critical analysis at all. Sort of like Hush or Blackest Night, those types of stories. My favorite parts were easily the introductions of the four new "Supermen," I thought that was very fun reading along with as a kid.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

It's a fun story. Zero depth mind you, but fun nonetheless.

Although they did squeeze some moments of genuine emotion during the subsequent World Without a Superman.
    Your name is Kal-El. You are the only survivor of the planet Krypton. Even though you've been raised as a human being, you are not one of them
    JOR-EL

So not even in your top 5?

BANNED

Not even close for me.

I rank it very low. It barely qualifies as a story. It works as a cynical money-grabbing event, but that's it.

A monster shows up. It's tough and kills some stuff. Oh no, it's heading for Metropolis! Superman arrives and begins punching it. Punching won't beat it! So Superman keeps punching it. Punching won't beat it! So Superman keeps punching it. Punching won't beat it! So Superman keeps punching it as they arrive in Metropolis proper. Suddenly, punching works for some reason, and they both fall over dead. Ta-daaaaah! THE END

That is terrible. Everyone involved on the Superman books at the time was capable of so much better than that. And they didn't even explain who the monster was, where he came from or why he was like that. He just showed up, "killed" Superman and "died" and was gone.

The Death of Superman story in of itself isn't great, it's solid and entertaining, but it true value is that set into the motion, Funeral for a Friend and the epic Reign of the Supermen.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Default Death and Return was best served on SNES

It's poop. But I was a big fan of Superboy, and it was par for the course where 90s superheroes went.

It wouldn't make my top ten, much less my top five

Its hard for me to judge this story without bias, as it was the story that got me into Superman comics in the first place, so in a way I'm always going to view this one particular story as a 12 year old. But with that said, I can look at it rationally when I want to, and in that sense, it is at its base just a knock 'em, sock 'em read. The real emotion and true quality storytelling comes later with Funeral For A Friend/Reign of the Superman. Its basically the weakest act of a three part saga.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-03-2012 at 07:07 PM.

I definitely don't rank it very high. I've never actually made out a list of the top Superman stories though, to be honest.

Probably my worst story...oh no wait, there's Superman blue and red...*sigh*
    Cerebral Assassin

ranks pretty low for me... it made headlines but that was about it
    Lost In Limbo

I think it was a fairly poor story, but some of the stuff that came out of it was decently done and entertaining.
    Life looks better in black and white.

Just Death, or Death/Funeral/Return?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...