Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Oh come on people are getting butthurt over Psylocke of all people being alive?1 thing:
    -She has died and come back before.
    The other thing is that the Madrox scene had to happen post-Ultimatum since Pietro and the other guy are talking about the death of that chick Pietro was banging in fallout(clearly post-Ultimatum).
    Ultimate's editorial is seemly rubbish if things like this keep happening.

Elder Member

1. When did Brian say it was a mistake?
    2. It's Psylocke, that's why it's pissing me off.
    3. IT'S NOT THAT HARD TO PICK UP ULTIMATUM #5 AND SEE WHO DIED!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    Yah it was said there was something up but it never directly stated that they were illusions. Illusions usually don't disintagrate people when they get near them. Also I should mention that loeb was the one who ressurected the scarlet witch why is wyokid still reading loeb? Also she didn't look like an illusion considering the brotherhood was there to see her.
    At the end of Ultimate X I don't believe any of them actually saw her. They were all entering the room as Pietro said "Wanda has returned to us" but none of them even reacted or said anything... I believe that while Pietro saw her, the others just assumed he was talking about her but believed that she was elsewhere, or they simply thought he was nuts :P

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    What's funny, is as much as I love the "Dead Means Dead" rule, at this point I really don't care anymore. It would be a big deal if it were main characters, like Peter Parker, but with minor characters I don't so much mind their return. Especially if it can be explained. Psylocke is one of the few who could come back and be believable, same with Madrox, Xavier, Wolverine, Dr. Strange, Dr. Doom, Norman Osborn and others.

Another way that I look at it, and I just realized this the other day: I don't even really consider this the same Ultimate Universe that we once read. To me, the Ultimate Universe ended when Peter Parker died. It was a nice finale to both Peter Parker and the UU as a whole. What we've gotten since, is very much different than ANYTHING we've ever had before in the 11 plus years the UU has been around, and with all the replacement and original characters popping up everywhere, it comes off as being an unofficial continuation of the UU. Sort of like an alternate future, similar to the X-Men / Fantastic Four Annuals that were published prior to Ultimatum. So, that being said, I really don't care who comes back to life at this point because to me the official story of the UU is over, and what we have now is stories (some good, some bad) that revolve around those characters... If that makes sense :P

Sort of like FRINGE (spoilers):

spoilers:
    The series was supposed to end at the end of last season but it got renewed for one final (short) season to finish the story of that one Future-Based episode last season. This current season takes place in the future and, while having the same cast, comes off as a completely different beast than the first 4 seasons. It's great, though! This season has been stellar, but anyone could easily ignore this season and still get the whole story with last seasons finale. Just like anyone could stop reading the UU when Peter died and still get the whole story. The new stuff just expands the universe if you want to continue getting new content.
    end of spoilers

Don't get me wrong, I still really like the UU... But it's a whole different place now than it was and it's easier to overlook mistakes if you just go along with it rather than point them out and complain. I dunno, maybe I'm just in denial :P
    Last edited by Balfro; 11-06-2012 at 07:59 AM.
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    I'm not sure why you prefer using first names all the time, but this is why it's not a good idea. I assume you're talking about Bendis, not Wood. He never said it's a mistake (that I know of), that's speculation on my part - hence the "may have." There was no explanation as to who exactly Nathaniel Essex was in Mystery or why he was there, and it seems unlikely that Bendis was teasing towards a story by a then unknown writer that would come out more than two years later, especially when said story didn't reference the first one. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it seems unlikely.

Either way, that's not the point. Someone, whoever you want to put it on, brought back Sinister, and did nothing to explain how he's alive. Your theory is a solid one, and probably even the "right" one, but it's still speculation at this point. What you're still refusing to answer is this - if you can make an excuse for that, why can't you make an excuse for another?

Why? Because she was dead before? Well this wouldn't be the first time. She died under Mark Millar and came back later, so this is something that's been established for her character. You're fine with Thor's death and rebirth, right? You say "gods can't die," because that's been established for them. Well, this has been established, too.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with that. The same thing would have informed Nick Spencer that Madrox was dead. It's also not hard to pick up the current volume of Incredible Hulk and find out what Hulk's characterization currently is while writing Avengers Assemble. But these things happen. This is far from the first time. Beast, Hammerhead, Captain Britain, John Wraith, General Ross, etc - I know that "they're all in the past," but this will be in the past, too.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

I don't want people coming back to life in the UU, but Psylocke basically being Shadow King in the UU (a psychic being that takes host bodies and can never die) is appealing to me. Torn...
    Last edited by RoguefanAM; 11-06-2012 at 08:38 AM.

I can't wait for them to bring back some more people!
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Man, this thread is crazy.

Anyway, I'm not trying to pass the buck here, but I had asked editorial for a list of mutants I could populate this reservation with, and Psylocke was on that (rather long) list. I have no idea if this is a mistake or not, and honestly I sorta don't care! If it makes someone drop the book, clearly the book was already on thin ice for that reader, so there's not much to be done there. I'll always defer to editorial, since they're my boss!

Anyway, Psylocke is not a major character here. It's a stretch to even call her a minor character in this story I'm writing, so hopefully it won't impact any of your lives too much.

b

I think most fans are afraid of a dead character getting resurrected, because if one dead character can come back who says not more can. This way of thinking could lead to a flood of resurrections. Destroying the "dead means dead" rule and destroying power death has in the Ultimate Universe. This would make death in the UU the same as in the 616 universe, where you are never afraid of someone dying, because you know they will come back eventually.

P.S. On page two you van find a scan of the mutants who died in Ultimatum and a scan of the bodies of the deceased ready for burial.

P.S.S. Even if we complain we still think Ultimate Comcis: X-Men is awesome. Keep up the good work
    Last edited by Chaos_Alfa; 11-06-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by briancwood View Post

Anyway, I'm not trying to pass the buck here, but I had asked editorial for a list of mutants I could populate this reservation with, and Psylocke was on that (rather long) list. I have no idea if this is a mistake or not, and honestly I sorta don't care! If it makes someone drop the book, clearly the book was already on thin ice for that reader, so there's not much to be done there. I'll always defer to editorial, since they're my boss!

Anyway, Psylocke is not a major character here. It's a stretch to even call her a minor character in this story I'm writing, so hopefully it won't impact any of your lives too much.

b
    Any chance you could post that list here?
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

b
    Like some of us are saying, we don't really mind. Obviously there are going to be a few who really DO mind, but that's their problem :P All some of us hardcore fans require is some sort of explanation if it becomes necessary. If Psylocke is going to be less than even a minor character then who cares? If she starts to take on a larger role perhaps you could treat us with some sort of dialogue as to how she survived/switched bodies/dug herself out of the grave/etc :P

You're doing a fantastic job, though, Mr. Wood. This is currently the strongest book in the UU right now and we have your writing skills to thank for it.
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

b
    Don't worry about it - we forgive, nay, encourage it! I'm a big fan of Psylocke in the UU, so it's great to have her back. And all you need is a line like "hey, remember that time that jerk hit me with a truck? Well it happened again!"

I can't wait to read the issue. You're run continues to be great, no matter who is in it. Hell, if you keep writing like this, you could bring back the entire original cast, kill them again, and replace them with younger versions of themselves from a different point in the timestream and I wouldn't care!
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

On Vacation

Yah know Brian Wood you could just retcon Ultimatum. Pretty please make it a dream or something. Only a few people would actually truly be sad or angry. On-topic if Betsy is back I wonder what Captain Britian will think.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Any chance you could post that list here?
    ^^This

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Don't worry about it - we forgive, nay, encourage it! I'm a big fan of Psylocke in the UU, so it's great to have her back. And all you need is a line like "hey, remember that time that jerk hit me with a truck? Well it happened again!"

I can't wait to read the issue. You're run continues to be great, no matter who is in it. Hell, if you keep writing like this, you could bring back the entire original cast, kill them again, and replace them with younger versions of themselves from a different point in the timestream and I wouldn't care!
    What I've noticed is that Brian Wood writes the book like someone who has a story to tell rather than someone who is clueless about any or all prior established continuity (Loeb). If he brings back Psylocke or ANY other character, I don't really mind because it will go toward (presumably) a great story. So I agree with everything you said :P In fact, I actually encourage Mr. Wood to eventually bring back Wolverine in some fashion. His character makes THE MOST sense to be brought back to life and I think it would make for some awesome stories in the UU like how in Young Justice (Cartoon) there were awkward moments between Superman and Superboy.

It takes a special writer to be able to bring characters back from the dead in the UU and have it seem like it ISN'T a mistake. Mr. Wood is one of those writers. Hickman would also be an acceptable answer.

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    Yah know Brian Wood you could just retcon Ultimatum. Pretty please make it a dream or something. Only a few people would actually truly be sad or angry. On-topic if Betsy is back I wonder what Captain Britian will think.
    Heh, that's right I guess Jamie would be her brother as well, wouldn't he? :P

On Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    ^^This

What I've noticed is that Brian Wood writes the book like someone who has a story to tell rather than someone who is clueless about any or all prior established continuity (Loeb). If he brings back Psylocke or ANY other character, I don't really mind because it will go toward (presumably) a great story. So I agree with everything you said :P In fact, I actually encourage Mr. Wood to eventually bring back Wolverine in some fashion. His character makes THE MOST sense to be brought back to life and I think it would make for some awesome stories in the UU like how in Young Justice (Cartoon) there were awkward moments between Superman and Superboy.

It takes a special writer to be able to bring characters back from the dead in the UU and have it seem like it ISN'T a mistake. Mr. Wood is one of those writers. Hickman would also be an acceptable answer.
    Yah exactly. If the story is good why complain about the characters? Loeb did the same thing by changing characters without any actual continuity but the reason people didn't like it was because it wasn't a good story. If it was a good story I wouldn't have cared why the Thor's hammer had changed or why hawk-eye had a different costume and so forth. But it wasn't a good story so people did care about the characters because they didn't care about the plot. It's been shown that Wood can make a good story even by changing continuity. If we look at Spider-Men Thor has 2 types of hammers but the story was so good so who really cared.