Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

How AWESOME wouldn't it be if this WASN'T uncanny x-men, but rather Uncanny BROTHERHOOD? :D

I can taste it already...

Quote Originally Posted by motteditor View Post
    I think they're making the same mistake they made with Avengers, wherein if you DON'T like Bendis, you've got no choice. If you've got multiple titles in a franchise, have them feel different and offer fans different takes. This just makes me feel even more like dropping WatXM since I figure if Bendis has this much influence on the X-universe, it's invariably going to start reflecting things I have no interest in.

(I'm already lukewarm on WatXM anyway, so this is more just pushing me over the edge.)
    This isn't quite like the Avengers tho'. The X-men are already way more expanded and multi-titled than the Avengers ever were.

Other than All-new and Uncanny there'll also be, in no short order:

Wolverine and the X-men
    Adjectiveless X-men
    X-men Legacy
    Uncanny X-force
    X-force

That's a total of f***in' 5 titles right there, man...

And NOT to forget Uncanny AVENGERS either, which will be more or less an X-book as well.

The fans who want something else will have an immense plenty to read...

And wait a minute... since when do YOU read X-men?!
    Wtf do you care anyway...? Bendis is off of the Avengers, so I can't see you REALLY giving two sh*ts about what he's doing with the X-men.

Methinks you're just whining because you don't like Bendis, and have nothing better to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    How AWESOME wouldn't it be if this WASN'T uncanny x-men, but rather Uncanny BROTHERHOOD? :D

I can taste it already...

This isn't quite like the Avengers tho'. The X-men are already way more expanded and multi-titled than the Avengers ever were.

Other than All-new and Uncanny there'll also be, in no short order:

Wolverine and the X-men
    Adjectiveless X-men
    X-men Legacy
    Uncanny X-force
    X-force

That's a total of f***in' 5 titles right there, man...

And NOT to forget Uncanny AVENGERS either, which will be more or less an X-book as well.

The fans who want something else will have an immense plenty to read...

And wait a minute... since when do YOU read X-men?!
    Wtf do you care anyway...? Bendis is off of the Avengers, so I can't see you REALLY giving two sh*ts about what he's doing with the X-men.

Methinks you're just whining because you don't like Bendis, and have nothing better to do...
    Not to mention Wolverine, Wolverine MAX and Gambit which are pretty much X-Books too. There's plenty of non-bendis mutant action out there. That said, it is clear that Benis is being set up as the standard bearer whose plots the other writers will be beholden to.

Just Sayin'

The bendis bachalo issues of na were some of my favs. Getting this for sure, no matter what the book is.
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

Taste the Bitch Pudding. Green Griffin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vampiric_cannibal View Post
    I love good Bachalo. Sometimes it has the flaws pointed out by other posters, but in general it is great. His previous X-work has been excellent.

Bendis. Minimal quality X-work. Not best on team books. Stops books progressing for dialogue quirks, antithesis of Claremont who used his style to use say a lot and appear even more verbose. Dialogue gets annoying like a Salarian in ME. Favours long runs which was good but now his style has fallen out of favour with me. Nothing good since Siege in 616. 616 work tends to be arc based, arc based writing sucks in periodicals. Doesn't interest month-to-month.

I won't get ANXM, the cast looks awful and there are better uses for my money. But Uncanny, or whatever it is called, with Cyclops and the Extinction team is something I'm more likely to buy. At the expense to an Avengers title. Bendis earned my goodwill through UMS and Powers, he's a great with a tight cast, and ANXM looks to have the overflowing cast compared to the hopefully smaller E-team.
    Is it strange if I read that in Mordins voice?

Love Cyclops, though don't like much what's been done to him in the last few years. I prefered the tough boy scout. Not a fan of Bendis nor Bachalo, so that's another pass for me in Marvel Now. Really hasn't been easy finding a good fit of characters I want to read about with creators I want to read the work of in Marvel Now. Still, I hope it's a good enough injection of sales (and that people purchasing the books actually enjoy them) to bolden Marvel to go back to taking more risks with its publications. Honestly, regardless of content (which is probably too early to judge) it really has been all about playing it safe.

Peace

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

It's exactly about playing it safe. Switching around some of the big name creators and giving them popular artists. Bachalo is there because he's got credibility with X-fans and he'll probably draw some popular characters to nudge stern fans into reading Bendis.

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkestKnight View Post
    I hope this book is gonna be Uncanny Cyclops
    There was line in an interview right before AvX came out which mention one character going on a journey. Uncanny Cyclops could fit that with him traveling the world.
    McKenstry those with the most opinions often have the fewest facts.

Barack Obama There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America.

Christopher Yost Cyclops = Awesome and Right, while Xavier = USELESS JERK-O! Viva la Cyclops!

Facts are the enemy of truth.

You gonna get us out of here. With that tight-ass Wolverine outfit on. Now, let's make it happen, asshole

YOST: Okay, it's not Jean Grey. Nobody likes her

Goddamn Marvel, pairing my most hated writer with my most beloved artist... why do you make me suffer this way?!

Oh that's right, because Marvel is a bunch of sadists, lol. First they put a great artist on the new X-title "flagship" title so that we have to look at it, in spite of the Bendis-ness of it, and now they're... sigh...

It's just too terrible for words.

But whatever, after this post, I'll try my best to ignore any Bendisverse X-titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    Bachalo, Ramos, and Palo are my absolute favorite Marvel artists. I could buy their books on their art alone and it's not often I get artists that excite me as much as them when it comes to mainstream Big 2 books. The typical "realistic" art you get tends to bore me or I could really care less of how good it is. They just don't grab me. There are some exceptions. Artists like Yildiray Cinar or Mahmud Asrar or Jamal Igle, while art styles fits with the "typical" mainstream, they still have enough to pull me in and love their stuff.

I get enough realism and people in my life, I enjoy seeing all types of crazy dynamics and zany story telling. Give me Ramos, Bachalo, Palo, Rossmo, Stroman, Sienkiewicz, Chaykin, Canete, McKean any time of the day.
    I would agree with you, but I think that it really depends on the title. I think Bachalo works really well on something like Wolverine and the X-Men. His style fits that book and really complements the writing. But for a series about Cyclops and his darker, morally ambiguous team? With what is almost definitely a more serious tone? It just seems weird and distracting to me. I don't think "zany storytelling" really works in this case.

As for comics in general, I like them to be entertaining and fun, but I think they can do that with fun, lighthearted stuff or darker, more serious stuff. In this case, I think the artist seems like a weird choice for the subject matter.

Quote Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
    I've always found this line of thinking to be ridiculous. The creators ARE the characters. This ideal image of these characters that you carry around doesn't exist. They are fictional characters that exist only as the creators decide.

You can certainly argue that you might prefer one creator's interpretation over another's, but then you're just talking personal preference. And if you're just talking personal preference, wouldn't the sales numbers be the best indicators of this, and doesn't it make logical sense that there will always be some (like yourself) who simply prefer differently? Let other people enjoy it, then, and like the previous poster said, vote with your wallet.
    Sure, but there are certain parameters and things that have been set up to define the characters. It's not that they're blank slates for a creator to do whatever the hell he wants with them. Granted, a good creator can develop a character and change them---which I think they've done with, say, Cyclops----but the characters should have some level of consistency and be recognizable as themselves. I read most comics because I like the characters. I don't mind if varying creators interpret them differently, but it's not like creators can radically change the entire core personality and concept of a character and write it off as "well, I'm a creator, these characters only exist asd I see them."

Quote Originally Posted by refrax5 View Post
    Sure, but there are certain parameters and things that have been set up to define the characters. It's not that they're blank slates for a creator to do whatever the hell he wants with them. Granted, a good creator can develop a character and change them---which I think they've done with, say, Cyclops----but the characters should have some level of consistency and be recognizable as themselves. I read most comics because I like the characters. I don't mind if varying creators interpret them differently, but it's not like creators can radically change the entire core personality and concept of a character and write it off as "well, I'm a creator, these characters only exist asd I see them."
    Well, I agree with this, of course. Dislike Jeph Loeb for this reason. I just don't see why that's relevant to this in particular. As you said, you've liked the development of Cyclops, and Bendis didn't have much to do with it anyway. As far as I've seen with his Avengers run, he hasn't drastically changed any characters, either. Made them a bit bland, sure.

Indestructible Finger Test of Strength's Avatar

Peter F posted this on the X-Boards.

"Looks like the cats out of the bag. Its me an Bendis on a new launch of the series. This was a tough one as i was really enjoying my time on WX but Brian asked for me to help him launch the new Uncanny and how do you turn down that offer. Launches are tough as there's a lot of ground to cover to get things rolling. Characters are re-imagined, writing styles adjusted to, locations established. Its a tough learning curve that typically takes a few issues to figure out and grow comfortable with. We're still very early into the creative part so hard for me to comment on exactly what to expect. The daring part is that the tone of the book--feels like, its early--will be a little darker. Characters powers have been 'adjusted" as a result of the Phoenix five fall out and I was asked to redesign costumes for the entire cast. Everyone. Plus, as of today, there are two "new" mutants. Its a big jump that I'm sure will turn a few off but, we're betting on, that most will welcome and enjoy. One thing that you can count on Is that Brian will always give you something worth reading. He never fails to be interesting. Launch is two issues in February. LMK how I'm doing.

Best!

CB"

Link