Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

it'd make a decent Union Jack
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by jediracer View Post
    Come on, you really think he could pull it off convincingly? He's a one trick pony. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Jason Statham, and maybe he could pull off the Daredevil part of the character, but I just don't see him playing a blind lawyer. He simply does not have the acting chops. Would you cast Steven Segal as Abraham Lincoln? No, for the same reasons that you wouldn't cast Statham as Matt Murdock.
    Jason Statham is a far better actor than Steven Segal, you only need to look as far as stuff like Snatch and The Bank Job to see how good he is. It's always seem strange to me that Statham became an action movie star seeing how the first time I ever saw him was Snatch, same with Stephen Graham playing tough guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyK View Post
    You're being far too circumspect, I'm not sure of what you're trying to say.
    Apparently, that he'd rather see Pauly Shore or Dr. Ruth as Daredevil...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Masked Badger View Post
    I just saw that the Daredevil film rights reverted back to Marvel Studio from Fox on October 10, 2012. That makes me happy.
    Really? That was my birthday! Great present!

Matthew McConaughey? too old?

For those saying Statham couldn't pull off being a lawyer, isn't it possible that you're surrendering to stereotypes; one in how a lawyer is supposed to look or act, and whether or not Statham couldn't make a credible one?

Last edited by DennyK; 11-04-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Elder Member

For those saying Statham couldn't pull off being a lawyer, isn't it possible that you're surrendering to stereotypes; one in how a lawyer is supposed to look or act, and whether or not Statham couldn't make a credible one?
    Of course. Most onscreen portrayals of certain professions (cop, lawyer, politician, etc.) are built on commonly recognized archetypes. Statham doesn't really fit the archetype for a laywer. But, really, that's not even the problem. The real problem is that he specifically bears no resemblance in manner or bearing (lt alone physical appearance) to the how the character of Matt Murdock has been portrayed for the last 50 years and his movie roles to date don't give any indication that he has the acting chops/range to convincingly fake it.

I can't believe i'm saying this but Statham is too badass to play Daredevil.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

can Jason Statham do an american accent?

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Of course. Most onscreen portrayals of certain professions (cop, lawyer, politician, etc.) are built on commonly recognized archetypes. Statham doesn't really fit the archetype for a laywer. But, really, that's not even the problem. The real problem is that he specifically bears no resemblance in manner or bearing (lt alone physical appearance) to the how the character of Matt Murdock has been portrayed for the last 50 years and his movie roles to date don't give any indication that he has the acting chops/range to convincingly fake it.
    There's a lot to like about your post; however, I'm going to play devil's advocate. There's another thread in this section about Jamie Foxx perhaps being Electro in the next Spider-Man movie, I don't recall reading a lot of comments about his lack of resemblance to the comics character. Also, in the original Daredevil (a movie I liked btw) movie the late Michael Clarke Duncan played a very convincing Kingpin. The point I'm trying to make is that I'm not sure it's a fair argument to discount Statham based on physical resemblance alone. Also, I would say his performance in Snatch lends itself to the belief that he could pull off a disillusioned attorney.

Elder Member

The point I'm trying to make is that I'm not sure it's a fair argument to discount Statham based on physical resemblance alone.
    And that might be a point worth making had I actually discounted him on physical appearance alone. But I didn't. Read it again. I mentioned physical appearance as an aside. My main points were clearly manner, bearing, and acting ability.

Also, I would say his performance in Snatch lends itself to the belief that he could pull off a disillusioned attorney.
    Matt Murdock's not a disillusioned attorney. Quite the opposite, actually. Murdock's love for the law and his tireless pursuit of justice for his clients is a central element of his character and has been for as long as he's been around.
    Last edited by kalorama; 11-05-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Don't care who plays him, do Born Again as 2 movies, i'm there.

There's a lot to like about your post; however, I'm going to play devil's advocate. There's another thread in this section about Jamie Foxx perhaps being Electro in the next Spider-Man movie, I don't recall reading a lot of comments about his lack of resemblance to the comics character. Also, in the original Daredevil (a movie I liked btw) movie the late Michael Clarke Duncan played a very convincing Kingpin. The point I'm trying to make is that I'm not sure it's a fair argument to discount Statham based on physical resemblance alone. Also, I would say his performance in Snatch lends itself to the belief that he could pull off a disillusioned attorney.
    You cant compare a lame D-list villain to Daredevil. Jamie Foxx playing Spiderman is better comparison and is as wrong as as Statham playing Daredevil. Its not about changing skin color of Electro to Foxx but the fact Staham has terrible american accent and not good enough mix smart Lawyer with cool guy in suit.

His playing this month Parker who is a great american noir criminal lead in modern classics noir books and they had him do his usual Brit accent because he cant do better.

If he was better he would be like Bale, other brits who can play american easily,well. Also look wise, that reporter was right he looks more Bullseye than Matt Murdock. Not dissing him but he isnt the look tall,elegant lawyer.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Jason Statham is a great performer, but I believe putting him in a Daredevil movie would waste his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Jason Statham is a great performer, but I believe putting him in a Daredevil movie would waste his talent.
    I rate him as a performer and he did a very good job acting in Bank Job, i would like to more of those roles than wasting him in a role he is not good fit for. I dont want to sound like dissing him just because he isnt best fit for Matt Murdock.

I like him both as action star and doing good heist,gangster films. His recent roles have been adaptations and not films of the quality he did before.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk