Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

1. The video at the beginning of the thread is fuuny.
    2. I feel people are being way too harsh on this film.

Sure Sony had to make this film so they wouldn't lose the rights.
    I feel that this movie gave Peters character a much needed new direction.
    Also mechanic webshooters just how it supposed to be.
    Giving Spidey infinite webshooters overpowers him a bit much.
    Also there was no sign of Peters scientific interest in the raimi films.

I say from how the Spidey films were they did a good job.
    Don't forgot worldwide Spidey's is the 3rd best grossing superhero after Avengers and Dark knight rises.
    I dought stuff like this happen by chance.

Fans need to learn that not every movie is the most awesomest thing in the park.
    For a reboot it did just fine. An enjoyable movie.
    Garfield and Emma showed great chemistry during the scenes.
    My only problem was Spidey getting hit by a bullet in the end sequence. Spidersense much?
    A bit over the top dramatization right there.
    The lack of originality will always bother me

^Thank you!

Come to think of it, I don't remember spider-sense being used too much in the film.

"Eh, What's up Doc?" Spider-Frog's Avatar

Spider-sense is used in the film, Although I wasn't absolutely sure of that until I had seen the movie for the third time. I am still not sure if Peter knows what the Spider Sense is.

I thought this Honest Trailer was as funny as heck.

This gives good reasons for why the film is better than people say it is.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Another reason I prefer the Raimi films: consistency.

There were too many stops and starts in ASM, flashes of brilliance hindered by WTF moments that killed the momentum. It also felt like there wasn't a clear emotional arc that held everything together. Is it about Peter's parents? The Lizard's vision for humanity? Pete's responsibility to Aunt May and Gwen? His search for the burglar? I don't know.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Another reason I prefer the Raimi films: consistency.

There were too many stops and starts in ASM, flashes of brilliance hindered by WTF moments that killed the momentum. It also felt like there wasn't a clear emotional arc that held everything together. Is it about Peter's parents? The Lizard's vision for humanity? Pete's responsibility to Aunt May and Gwen? His search for the burglar? I don't know.
    ehhh, I think it blows Spider-man 3 completely out of the water. That movie was so bad that the bar was so low its hard for it not to be an impressive reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    ehhh, I think it blows Spider-man 3 completely out of the water. That movie was so bad that the bar was so low its hard for it not to be an impressive reboot.
    Nah...SM3 wasn't that bad. It just wasn't as good as SM1 and 2. Even at its worst, it felt more coherent than ASM, which was all over the place.

Like I said, ASM had some great moments and I'm confident there's something in place that could make for a great sequel. But it didn't gel like Raimi's films.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Agree, SM3 was not that bad. It mainly suffered from Raimi's dislike of Venom. This is what caused the dance sequence and the strut, I think. Raimi was doing a film series whose sentiments were firmly grounded in the 1960s and 1970s. Venom and his 1990's badassitude just simply does not fit into that kind of a movie series. The attempt to make him fit resulted in a cheesy symbiote. Thats like jumbo shrimp, an oxymoron.

Now I think Venom could fit into the current series, as it seems to be more modern. Looking forward to seeing the film finally when it comes out on DVD this weekend.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Nah...SM3 wasn't that bad. It just wasn't as good as SM1 and 2. Even at its worst, it felt more coherent than ASM, which was all over the place.

Like I said, ASM had some great moments and I'm confident there's something in place that could make for a great sequel. But it didn't gel like Raimi's films.
    I don't think I've often heard Spider-Man 3 praised for its coherence.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Sorry, but SM3 was awful. Can't recall the time I was so let down after leaving a theater.

I thought Amazing was good, but also felt a little let down on a few things (like how outrageous it was to have those crane operators help him) but overall good. That lizard battle was straight out of the comics.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

I thought it was a little convoluted that all the CRANES ARE LINED UP IN A ROW (of course this coulda been a reference to repair work after the Avengers) but I felt it worked out pretty well. I think the movie felt jumbled due to so much being cut due to the SONY executives. They had to do a lot of editing and reshoots in a very short amount of time. That does get very jumbled. Hopefully, Sony will let Webb do his thing next time. Or Webb will try to keep it down in terms of his own vision so his movie isn't cut to shit and looks jumbled at times.
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Darman456 View Post
    I thought it was a little convoluted that all the CRANES ARE LINED UP IN A ROW (of course this coulda been a reference to repair work after the Avengers) but I felt it worked out pretty well. I think the movie felt jumbled due to so much being cut due to the SONY executives. They had to do a lot of editing and reshoots in a very short amount of time. That does get very jumbled. Hopefully, Sony will let Webb do his thing next time. Or Webb will try to keep it down in terms of his own vision so his movie isn't cut to shit and looks jumbled at times.
    Agreed. I do hope Webb is allowed to do what he wants in the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't think I've often heard Spider-Man 3 praised for its coherence.
    It's got a coherent emotional arc.

Peter is conceited now that Spider-Man is finally recognized as a hero. He's ignoring MJ's needs because he's caught up in himself. That carries over into how he deals with the revelation that the man who killed his uncle is still at large, and the darker emotions the symbiote feeds off of. He ultimately finds the strength to ditch the symbiote, make peace with Harry, forgive the uncle's murderer and find his way back to MJ.

And while SM3 isn't popular among diehard Spider-Man fans, it fared fine with critics (seen as inferior to the second and better than the first) and I know a lot of people who list it as their favorite (my son included).

Just watched the new movie. Rather than bore everyone with a review, here are bullet points:

1) its unfair to compare this with the Raimi films
    2) it felt alot like USM, but should have borrowed even more from that.
    3) There were some loose plot ends, but I didn't care (which is kind of bad)
    4) at times it felt like a hero movie trapped in a romance film
    5) there is cheese present and it manages to feel worse than Raimi because of the more serious context (seriously, lizard rat? the cranes? I cringed)
    6) Lizard was great, but not developed enough.
    7) Not enough character development for Gwen, May or Captain Stacy.
    8) I did not miss JJJ, and felt it was fine to leave him out
    9) Overall, in spite of some wonkiness, it was watchable and enjoyable
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 11-10-2012 at 01:15 AM.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.