Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RDMacQ View Post
    Wow. Stevie places someone's worth on whether or not they agree with everything his says.
    Or, maybe it's just refreshing to deal with someone on the internet who's reasonable and would rather find common ground rather than pursue pointless arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by RichJohnston View Post
    THe incentives are so generous, that retailers are tempted to dive in.
    Rich, if the discounts are so low, what does Marvel ultimately gain? Is it simply to inflate the sales charts? To what advantage is that really?

Excellent question. Is it just needle pushing for show only? Is that the suspicion here?
    I read JLA will have 52 variant covers.

The end is nigh.......

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kylun123 View Post
    Rich, if the discounts are so low, what does Marvel ultimately gain? Is it simply to inflate the sales charts? To what advantage is that really?
    That's just it, it doesn't help them financially. At all. At the point the retailer is ordering, Marvel have already made their money (and probably make provision of the discounts in their P&L accounts). Not to mention the fact that virtually all the publishers have said that their sales figures are higher than what we see on the sales charts, it will make zero sense to get a victory for "bragging rights" and lose money overall.

IMO, the essence of the incentives is to get the books in the hands of those that won't normally buy them and help the retailers make more by selling the variants (if they can).

Earlier issues of series(s) generally sell more and some people get variants. It helps retailers with money and helps Marvel move their product.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    Excellent question. Is it just needle pushing for show only? Is that the suspicion here?
    I read JLA will have 52 variant covers.

The end is nigh.......
    Yeah, by any objective standard (incentivized or not), 52 variants is overkill.

Anyways, if the retailers who order the variants can sell them, more power to them.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Just Sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    Lemmee take a shot in the dark...MAcQ said some obnoxious version of how horrible me and Marvel are and is mad that the Warren guy and I didn't fight more.

Am I close?

One thing's for sure, if he's posting, then the thread is probably officially dead.

SW
    That's a strawman and you know it!!!!
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

Just Sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Yeah.

I don't have problems with the variants.

If the retailers feel they can sell them and make extra cash, then more power to them.
    I have no problem with them either. As long as the story and art is good then it doesn't matter to me what cover I get.
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

Yeah, by any objective standard (incentivized or not), 52 variants is overkill.

Anyways, if the retailers who order the variants can sell them, more power to them.
    Again, this is a difference between Marvel and DC.
    Sure, 52 covers is about 51 too much as far as I am concerned, but they're all equally rare. These are books that readers are supposed to buy, as opposed to the incentive covers scheme, where retailers buy books they know in advance they won't be able to sell in a million years, just so they'll get theat super-duper rare cover they can flog for megabucks.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    Lemmee take a shot in the dark...MAcQ said some obnoxious version of how horrible me and Marvel are and is mad that the Warren guy and I didn't fight more.

Am I close?
    Not even. But that's pretty par on course for you.

One thing's for sure, if he's posting, then the thread is probably officially dead.

SW
    Hey, once you start posting, I figure the thread's done for anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Brown View Post
    That's a strawman and you know it!!!!
    Is he attacking the person making the statement rather than addressing the statement itself? Then, yes, it is.

It's a common fallacy a lot of posters fall into.

How much money does Marvel (or the Comicbook inudstry in general) make from advertising?
    Increasing the sales numbers may be good to get advertisers, even if they don't actually make it to reader, since there aren't a lot of statistics about that.
    "That's a very nice school you have here, it'd be a shame if someone dropped some Sentinels on it"

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Much as people complain, those are the big-hitters. Feel bad that Remender is going to be getting so much hate now that he's made it big.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

What happened in WD 103 for it to shoot up so high?

In other news, events sell.

I'll be very interested to see if DC's lineup was able to hold on to any additional readers post-Zero Month.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Much as people complain, those are the big-hitters. Feel bad that Remender is going to be getting so much hate now that he's made it big.
    Yeah.

That's the way it goes. Once a writer becomes big, some folk decide to focus on his bad work and completely forget the good stuff he's done.

It happened to Bendis (and Geoff Johns to a lesser extent), it's starting with Fraction and Remender and I'm pretty sure Gillen is next.