]Can anyone make an old man happy by answering this question and end a fifteen year search?

Having been evacuated from London during the bombing raids of the last war my American uncle used to send me a small selection of American Comics. I very much enjoyed these comics, although some of them were pretty horrific to my young eyes.

The comic I am searching for was an adventure comic of that time, full of brave wartime heroes but in the middle pages was a story with a ‘moral message’. That was probably in black and white although I think the rest was in colour. The one that came so dramatically into my memory went as follows:

The first scenes showed a regular American lad at his high school sports, winning the race and being hailed as a hero. The second sequence went to the other side of the tracks where a lad was caught stealing. As he was challenged by a cop he ran off and was killed. The message was that in those seconds he had run faster than the good boy. The message was clear! Hence my long career in social work.

This issue would probably have been published between about 1942 to 1945.

I have searched every comic shop in the United Kingdom. Now that my family live in Brooklyn I am in America frequently and have spent many days in the archives of the New York Public Library searching for the publication but unfortunately to no avail.

Can anyone name that comic series or put me in touch with anyone or any organisation that might help?

Pifkin
UK