Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Here's a variant for X-Men Vol 3 #19 by Leinil Yu-

and with text

And I'm sure you've seen this one that recently came out for FF Vol 2 #1 by Art Adams.

EDIT: Never mind. You already have them both.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 11-03-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    EDIT: Never mind. You already have them both.
    But they're worth seeing again, especially in such glorious detail. I've kept the images on the site relatively small (200 pixels wide on the main page, 350 wide when seen individually) in order to be consistent. But some of these details are beautiful.

Gratuitous thread bump: 77 tributes now, including the first animated one. Only 23 to go. :)

Last edited by tolworthy; 11-04-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: found another one!

Oddball Cartoonist! Scott Shaw!'s Avatar

Exclamation

Hey, I drew storyboards on that FANTASTIC FOUR series, too. The first season was ghastly, but the second (which I worked on) and the third ones were quite good, faithfully adapting a lot of classic Kirby/Lee storylines! And John Buscema was even hired to do character designs for the FF!

Aloha,

Scott!
    http://www.shawcartoons.com
    -----------
    SCOTT SHAW! presents ODDBALL COMICS:
    http://www.scottshawsoddballcomics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shaw! View Post
    Hey, I drew storyboards on that FANTASTIC FOUR series, too. The first season was ghastly, but the second (which I worked on) and the third ones were quite good, faithfully adapting a lot of classic Kirby/Lee storylines! And John Buscema was even hired to do character designs for the FF!
    You did good work! I'm no expert on the cartoons, but I have to agree from what I saw on Youtube. The first 1994 series seemed pretty poor, but the one labelled "season 2" looked a lot better. Good work! Were you the first person who understood the characters I wonder?

Oddball Cartoonist! Scott Shaw!'s Avatar

No, they were all knowledgeable fans of the FANTASTIC FOUR, from producer Larry Houston on down. I had fun storyboarding the Impossible Man episode, the one in which he turns into a green Sammy Davis Jr.!

Aloha,

Scott!
    http://www.shawcartoons.com
    -----------
    SCOTT SHAW! presents ODDBALL COMICS:
    http://www.scottshawsoddballcomics.com

I found my first My Little Pony variant! Now I can die happy!!

82 tributes... 18 to go for the nice round 100

There's another tribute in the just released Defenders 12

Quote Originally Posted by Leocomix View Post
    There's another tribute in the just released Defenders 12
    Thanks for the tip! The preview pages online don't have it - I suppose it would be rude to ask for a scan? Otherwise I'll add it to my Christmas want list (the nearest comic shop is 125 miles away) :)

Might as well toss in my own homage:

Back around 1994, I was heavily involved with the zine and mini-comics community. A bunch of us were publishing our own amateur superhero comics, and I got the crazy idea to do a big team-up story. Most of us didn't have email at the time, so in order to keep everyone up to date on the progress of the story, I periodically mailed out a newsletter to all the creators involved. This was the cover of the first newsletter. "Rha-Sha-Shama" was the name of the alien dimension where a lot of the story took place. The characters are, clockwise from top left: My character "Lady Spectra", Bob Elinskas' "Mister Mid-Nite", Perry Lake's "Cassiopeia the Witch", and Paul Quinn's "Doc Saphire". In place of the giant mole monster is "Repo-Beast", a villain from the Lady Spectra series. A definite rarity, since I only printed up ten or so copies.
    -JKC-
    Glorianna - Barbarian adventure! New page every Friday!

Zarjaz! Many thanks! You are an example to others!
    Your valuable rare cover is now online (on the black and white themed row):
    http://zak-site.com/Great-American-N...-tributes.html

84 tributes now, only 16 to go!

EDIT: Found the Defenders one! Thanks to the comicboards FF message board.

85 tributes now, only 15 to go.
    Last edited by tolworthy; 11-10-2012 at 12:08 PM.

If memory serves, there's an homage at the end of the PIXAR movie The Incredibles. There might be a screen grab of it floating around somewhere.
    My Blog: Being A Dad

Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

Here is one I found....not sure if you have it or not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ffswipe.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloydsound17 View Post
    Here is one I found....not sure if you have it or not.
    I love you! (In a manly platonic and reserved British way of course). That is superb. I was beginning to think I'd found all the regular comic covers and was having to mine fan art, but this is lovely. And even better, it's from down under. And better yet, it mentions Karl Kesel. I recently noticed that two of my favorite FF stories are by him (real time FF and Jewish Ben) and he's an awesome man in real life, plus would love to take on the FF (the jury is still out on his 2099 issues).

Thanks again!

88 tributes and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Kan-Man View Post
    If memory serves, there's an homage at the end of the PIXAR movie The Incredibles. There might be a screen grab of it floating around somewhere.
    I am so torn on this one! I think on balance I'll use it because the Incredibles is solid proof of what I am trying to say, that the Fantastic Four grabbed the 1960s zeitgeist and got noticed. But I'll need to add some commentary because the image as it appears is only tangentially like the cover: he uses a machine, not a monster, and there isn't the iconic hand holding somebody, and not even somebody in ropes. Usually I reject event eh "gaint monster bursts through pavement" images unless they have some other connection to the original. On the surface the Incredibles final scene is not the cover at all, but the Incredible is so obviously a Fantastic Four movie (the powers, characters, themes, setting, villains, etc., etc.) that this cannot possibly be just a coincidence.

This is a good example of why the IP laws are so broken. I remember the ads and interviews for the Incredibles and the cast would mention every influence EXCEPT the FF. "it's like Batman, it's like Superman, it's like Spider-man" etc. They were so terrified of admitting the obvious in case they got sued. And they certainly would have been (not now of course that Disney owns Marvel). So they dare not make the homage too explicit. IP laws as they stand discourage creativity and encourage deceit. IMO.

EDIT: what finally decided it was their Mole Man's final pose. he's basically mimicking the monster.

89 tributes and counting.
    Last edited by tolworthy; 11-14-2012 at 07:34 AM.