Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The cover of Fantastic Four 1: looking for tribute images

I'm trying to gather every tribute to the cover of Fantastic Four issue 1.

zak-site.com/Great-American-Novel/ff-tributes.html

I've gathered the low hanging fruit already - Googling "tribute" and "homage" came up with 57 examples. But I'm sure there must be more: I have nothing from the cartoons or manga, only a few fan art examples, etc. Can anybody help?

I imagine that most tributes have come in the past ten years or so (due to endless re-imaginings plus the market for variant covers and pin-ups). Would I be better posting this on the main Marvel message board? I presume that cross posting is a no-no.

Perhaps the Kirby museum or one of the other Kirby boards would be a better place to ask - is anybody here a regular on those boards? Would you be kind enough to post a request?

Thanks!

Wasn't Fantastic Four 1 itself a "tribute?"

I agree. I originally had a section on Brave and Bold 28, but it detracted from the overall flow. I wanted to focus on what made the FF stand out.

Oddball Cartoonist! Scott Shaw!'s Avatar

Exclamation

Here's one that I drew as a pin-up for Archie Comics' SONIC THE HEDGEHOG No. 50 -- although it was originally printed slightly larger than the size of a postage stamp. The "Kirby" I dedicated it to is my son Kirby, although I obviously owe a huge debt to the man who drew the original that this is an homage to.

(By the way, I now own the rights to this image and have a certificate from the Library of Congress to prove it. Archie never supplied any sort of release or work-for-hire agreement to me, so I now own ALL of the Sonic material I created. Since Archie has repeatedly reprinted all of that work of mine, including this pin-up, without paying me a cent for the usage, expect to see ramifications of this oversight in the press soon.)

Aloha,

Scott!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sonic50Pin-UpSSS6Reprint.jpg  
    http://www.shawcartoons.com
    -----------
    SCOTT SHAW! presents ODDBALL COMICS:
    http://www.scottshawsoddballcomics.com

That's wonderful! Do you mind if I include it on my site, with a link to yours (and whatever text you want)?

Oddball Cartoonist! Scott Shaw!'s Avatar

Sure, knock yourself out. Anything that might annoy Archie Comics is okay with me.

Aloha,

Scott!
    http://www.shawcartoons.com
    -----------
    SCOTT SHAW! presents ODDBALL COMICS:
    http://www.scottshawsoddballcomics.com

The upcoming FF #1 has an homage alternate cover by Mike Allred.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

Thanks Scott! It's now added.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron King View Post
    The upcoming FF #1 has an homage alternate cover by Mike Allred.
    Yes. it's a nice one. That's what prompted me to finally get round to making a list. It's cover number 50 on my page. Which now has 67 tributes plus the original. Two thirds of the way to 100!

"If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

Yes, that's a great example. I use it as my second tribute, after Alex Ross. So far I have 72 tributes - I want to make it to 100 :)

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

I'm probably not the only one looking at that gallery who's been inspired to stick a few new items on the ol' want list.

Looking at it, I'm probably also not the only one who'd love to see someone out there (would do it myself if my set-up here at home were a little more physically comfortable ... the office chair in which I'm sititng even as I type, for instance, is a worn-out discard from my old newspaper, though of course that's vast improvement over its predecessor, which was a worn-out discard from my college newspaper, the back of which -- the chair, that is, not the newspaper -- had come off) set up similar galleries for all the other frequently homaged classics comics covers -- Action #1, Superman #1, Amazing Fantasy #15, Adventure #247, the Giffen-Demattais-Maguire Justice League #1, Giant-Size X-Men #1 & undoubtedly loads of others that don't happen to spring to mind at the moment.

Maybe someday ...
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

A different version of the Adventure Time #1 homage:

At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Okay, anyway, another edit: I found an image for your list, I don't know the story behind it.

http://www.4thletter.net/gavok/chika...entborrows.jpg
    Last edited by Scott Harris; 11-03-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    A different version of the Adventure Time #1 homage:
    A thousand thanks! That's excellent!

I didn't know Adventure Time was a thing: when I found the first image I just assumed it was some one off fan art. But I now learn it's a popular cartoon! Like Dan I am learning so much that I didn't know. Though that isn't difficult for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Okay, anyway, another edit: I found an image for your list, I don't know the story behind it.
    Thanks. It's a much better copy than my existing one. But in search of further info I clicked on the domain "4thLetter" - never seen it before. Apparently there is more than one comic blog out there. There goes my evening.

Anyhoo, that's 73 tributes (plus the original). Only 27 to go! :)