Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman9 View Post
    And that makes him you're favorite writer? Dang.
    He registred in March 2012. He may very well be new to comics.

BANNED

Yeah I think he's just much better suited to that. I'm really interested in Trillium.

Hmm I've been enjoying Animal Man ... haven't had the chance to check out JLD. It might be interesting to see his take on the traditional superheroes. I'm intrigued.

a curious wanderer OBrianTallent's Avatar

Superboy was pretty decent. Animal Man was awesome. JLD for me has been exquisitely amazing. I will read just about anything he writes if he goes straight up super heroes. He's proven himself to me.
    Not all who wander are lost....

Quote Originally Posted by The Animal Man View Post
    it was mentioned in an interview that sooner or later that's what he plans to do....get off these horror comics and write more traditional comics
    I don't actually know where he said this. Does anyone have a link to this interview?

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

To add to Superboy, his run on The Atom backups/1-shot was pretty good as well. But I suppose this thread isn't about if he's fit to write superheros, but rather if he should stay on the Dark line.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by The Animal Man View Post
    it was mentioned in an interview that sooner or later that's what he plans to do

Are you referring to the Ain't It Cool interview where the idiot asking questions mistook Lemire saying he was going home after the convention for confirmation Lemire was quitting JL Dark? The misquote the artist of the book even came on to CBR to say wasn't true?
    Last edited by DonC; 11-03-2012 at 08:38 PM.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    Are you referring to the Ain't It Cool interview where the idiot asking questions mistook Lemire saying he was going home after the convention for confirmation Lemire was quitting JL Dark? The misquote the artist of the book even came on to CBR to say wasn't true?
    No, I'm not going to go to the effort to look for it but Lemire mentioned in an interview a couple of months ago that he was anxious to do more mainstream DC superheroes after his Animal Man and Justice League Dark and Franky stuff, and that the next phase of his work would be focused on that.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

The dark lines been very good but it's his life.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    No, I'm not going to go to the effort to look for it but Lemire mentioned in an interview a couple of months ago that he was anxious to do more mainstream DC superheroes after his Animal Man and Justice League Dark and Franky stuff, and that the next phase of his work would be focused on that.

That could be years away, though. Ain't It Cool was making it seem like Lemire was leaving in the very near future.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    I always thought "devoid of subtlety" was part of your tastes lol.
    I can enjoy (or love) things that are devoid of subtlety if I think the plotlines are interesting and entertaining, and there is good character work driving everything. I think there is very little character work in Lemire's JLD, and the plot is all based around a bunch of random McGuffins that are meaningless to the reader.

Compare this to something like Johns' Justice League, where it's very much devoid of subtlety, but the Graves plotline helped build character, as the villain directly revealed everyone's losses and insecurities and helped simultaneously bring them together and tear them apart as a team. Or the Snyder Owls arc, where I think the plotline of a hidden organization in Gotham that one-ups Bruce is interesting and entertaining, and highlights his fears as a character. There is really nothing like that in Lemire's JLD, aside from maybe Constantine and Nick Necro, although Necro is pretty much "Constantine before Constantine" and I don't really think that's a very impressive character. I am given no reason as a reader to give a **** about the "Book of Magic" or the "House of Mystery," it's all just random "noun of genre" crap. I am stunned that people come out in droves to hate on Johns and Snyder and then lap this up like it's somehow better.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    To add to Superboy, his run on The Atom backups/1-shot was pretty good as well. But I suppose this thread isn't about if he's fit to write superheros, but rather if he should stay on the Dark line.
    pretty much this. as much as I like JLD, I feel if he goes into more mainstream titles then he should quit JLD and keep Animal Man, because Animal Man has sort of been his thing since the beginning of the new 52 and i'm sure he has much more to do with the title.

Once again I agree with Holmes. Lemire is already writing "basic superhero stories," just with a sheen of horror due to the characters and threats involved. I said this in another thread, but I think he may do better with something where he has less of a connection to the characters. It feels like he's writing pet characters in JLD and not trying very hard, and I think if he writes something that is more outside his comfort zone, he may try harder to make some statement about the characters or give them more depth.

I also am looking forward to Trillium more than his core DC work. I think he's a better artist than writer. I think his artwork is REALLY good, and I think he knows how to let art serve the story very well.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    Once again I agree with Holmes. Lemire is already writing "basic superhero stories," just with a sheen of horror due to the characters and threats involved. I said this in another thread, but I think he may do better with something where he has less of a connection to the characters. It feels like he's writing pet characters in JLD and not trying very hard, and I think if he writes something that is more outside his comfort zone, he may try harder to make some statement about the characters or give them more depth.

I also am looking forward to Trillium more than his core DC work. I think he's a better artist than writer. I think his artwork is REALLY good, and I think he knows how to let art serve the story very well.
    his artwork is the bomb man. I started reading him with Sweet Tooth back when I was mainly an indie reader and I fell in love immediately. I haven't read his superboy or atom yet, are they any good?

BANNED

I'm noticing a lot of similarities between JLD and JL. I don't like JL, but it's pretty obvious that it's a flashy book in such a way that you know this is the kind of thing people like to buy. JLD is on the same level but without any of that flash. It even has the same stupid Michael Bay quips of dialogue.