Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Webb Talks The "Electrifying" Jamie Foxx as Electro in "Amazing Spider-Man 2"

Director Marc Webb discussed yesterday's rumors that Jamie Foxx is in talks to play Electro in "Amazing Spider-Man 2," saying, "I would love to work with him... [Y]ou'll be hearing more on that shortly, I'm sure."

Full article here.

"It's not really a part of the question. What makes villains interesting for me is what they bring out in Peter and what challenges they provide for him," he replied. "What's great about Marvel and other comics is that often there's a pre-existing relationship [to explore]. It's not just about the physical conflict he has, but the emotional ones as well."
    curious. Electro traditionally, did not have a relationship with Peter/Spiderman before their first conflict. I wonder how the script may re-work this into such a dynamic. I do think that this angle risks becoming over-used, really-- just how many people can Pete be acquainted with that turn out to be maniacs? LOL.. but we'll see, I hope the character is treated intelligently..

Hopefully it will be as good as reintroduction of Electro in the "Power to the People" arc. But please, don't do another origin story where we spend 30 mins looking at the ups and downs of Max Dillion before he becomes Electro. I mean, spoilers:
    the movie's ending sort of implied he already has powers by the time Conners was incarcerated.
    end of spoilers

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Default blame it on electro, blame it on the dillon

I hope it works out because he would be a very interesting choice.

Pretty weak character and a pretty hit and miss actor, sometimes he's great, then sometimes he's in Upstanding Citizen or whatever it was called with Gerard Butler.

Comic Book Fanatic!!! Memphis Raines's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Broome View Post
    Pretty weak character and a pretty hit and miss actor, sometimes he's great, then sometimes he's in Upstanding Citizen or whatever it was called with Gerard Butler.
    All that means is that he's a great actor who sometimes picks bad movies to star in. He isn't the first and won't be the last. Give him a decent or a great role, though, and he'll shine. Big name Oscar Award winners like Denzel Washington and Sean Connery have been in some stinkers before, too. Remember Zardos and Diamonds Are Forever? How about that movie where Denzel played a British soldier and his British accent SUCKED?

Comic Book Fanatic!!! Memphis Raines's Avatar

Electro has never been a great stand alone villain or much of a criminal mastermind. The fact that he seems to be the main/only villain in ASM 2 should worry people a lot more than who's playing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    Electro has never been a great stand alone villain or much of a criminal mastermind. The fact that he seems to be the main/only villain in ASM 2 should worry people a lot more than who's playing him.
    yeah-- Electro is a notch or two above Molten Man-- I'm more concerned that Electro is the main baddie.

Odds are, likely far away from you.............or Toronto

Still pretty sure Norman Osborn is pulling the strings as far as criminal masterminding goes. No one said Electro had to be the only villain. And if they have Electro kill Gwen Stacy I'll be very disappointed.
    Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life.

I'm perfectly fine with that, we saw what happens when you try to cram in villains in the last Spidey movie series after all.
    Having one villain in a movie is enough, maybe have Norman be in the background of things.
    Won 6 Awesome Awards, 2Cool awards, 2 internets, a Raging storm and funniest video award
    My RPG Site!

Immortal. So far so good! Treqqor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    curious. Electro traditionally, did not have a relationship with Peter/Spiderman before their first conflict. I wonder how the script may re-work this into such a dynamic. I do think that this angle risks becoming over-used, really-- just how many people can Pete be acquainted with that turn out to be maniacs? LOL.. but we'll see, I hope the character is treated intelligently..
    Did we even get that in the first movie? I honestly don't remember Spidey pulling his punches being concerned for the mentor he admired and the human underneath. More just the "he's a monster, have to stop the rampages by curing him" generic stuff that is more up Electro's alley anyways.

I don't think this is Jamie Foxx.

Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I don't think this is Jamie Foxx.

Starting to get the feeling you dont like black actors being casted as characters thats originally portrayed as a white guy
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    I'm perfectly fine with that, we saw what happens when you try to cram in villains in the last Spidey movie series after all.
    I'd attribute that more to the poor writing and script than the fact that the film had 2 villains.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Starting to get the feeling you dont like black actors being casted as characters thats originally portrayed as a white guy
    I am just pointing something out. And I do like Jamie Foxx and I think he's a great actor, unlike Sam Jackson.
    I don't necessarily mind it. It angers me when they influence the comics (a la Marcus Fury). But I do think that the actors portraying characters should resemble said character as much as possible.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 11-03-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!