BANNED

Default The "How did it happen?" thread for the New 52!

This thread is to showcase what most of YOU fans think concerning the modified history of the DCU. We know a lot of events still went down, but changed in ways we won't know until we're told. DC seems unwilling to explore the past much, so I guess its up to us. A warning, this topic may border on fanfic and that's something nobody wants...So please try to keep it in line with the current continuity as much as possible. I tend to just pull together what is left so that I can still enjoy the new stories, even though DC seems to think everyone started reading comics a year ago.

This is how Final Crisis goes down, in my mind.

At the beginning of time, Metron gives fire to Anthro.

The League finds the body of Orion shot dead. They don't know who he is, so they take him back to the HQ. Batman is kidnapped by Darkseid's minions possessing Green Lanterns and is taken to Darkseid, who has taken over the OMAC labs, where he attempts to clone Batman. On Earth, Darkseid's parademons are attacking and the Anti-Life Equation has been set free using the internet, phones, and television. Tons of heroes are now mindless.

Hal Jordan is taken to Oa, accused of killing a 'New God'. Hal Jordan doesn't know who or what Orion is and doesn't understand. This is where Rage of the Red Lanterns fits.

On Earth, Barry escapes the Black Racer and ends up in the future momentarily, finding Batman and Darkseid in the OMAC factory. There, he sees Darkseid firing the morticoccus bullet back in time to kill Orion and actually intercepts it, appearing to 'die' in the process. This leaves Orion alive in the past.

Darkseid's plan begins to unravel as Batman takes the bullet/gun and shoots him in the shoulder, but not before Darkseid blasts him and sends him back in time. Flash wakes up to see Batman's "corpse" and Superman arrives to carry it from the building. They go on to believe Bruce is dead for three months, until he returns to form Batman INC. Bruce can't fully remember what happened.

This leaves Orion alive(Wonder Woman), while retaining the necessary elements for the current Batman INC and Justice League stories. I think it makes sense for Flash to catch the bullet, seeing as how this is a younger and more energized Barry Allen that can actually think on a quantum level, increasing his chances. Orion survives, and retains his mystery among the other heroes, who learn nothing about who or what he is. It also leaves Darkseid crippled, but not completely destroyed. I imagine he would fall to the base of creation, but would be able to return because Superman did not rewrite the universe without the anti-life equation using the Miracle Machine. I left that part out because it just seems a little too big for the current DCU. Superman isn't at that level yet. Plus, Darkseid is still alive.

There's also room for Cyborg to do something important because of the nature of his tech. That can be a number of things.

Next! Preferably Blackest Night or Brightest Day, anyone?
    Last edited by DrSimonHurt; 11-01-2012 at 11:17 PM.

I thought DC said none of the Crises took place in the new continuity. It's my #1 favorite thing about the new continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    I thought DC said none of the Crises took place in the new continuity. It's my #1 favorite thing about the new continuity.
    DC are being inconsistent (shock, horror!!) but the last I heard "officially" is that FINAL CRISIS is still in continuity and GL hasn't been rebooted at all (of course, they said the same about Batman for a year before reversing that!)

To the OP, with regards to what to do next, I'd be interested in your take of BLACKEST NIGHT in NEW 52 continuity (and I wouldn't mind COIE either, if HAWK AND DOVE said that's in continuity *something* must have happened)

Cheers.

James.
    Any Dream worth Having Is A Dream worth Fighting For.

Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

My current explanation for everything-Darkseid playing with his action figures and changing things whenever he feels like it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    DC are being inconsistent (shock, horror!!) but the last I heard "officially" is that FINAL CRISIS is still in continuity and GL hasn't been rebooted at all (of course, they said the same about Batman for a year before reversing that!)

To the OP, with regards to what to do next, I'd be interested in your take of BLACKEST NIGHT in NEW 52 continuity (and I wouldn't mind COIE either, if HAWK AND DOVE said that's in continuity *something* must have happened)

Cheers.

James.
    Most of Final Crisis will be kept because it is part of Morrison's Batman story, and it is also getting a follow-up with Multiversity(that needs a new name).

I've been thinking about Blackest Night more, but the problem is that the story is based on emotional tethers between the heroes. In the reboot, those emotional connections don't seem to exist so it is hard to see how it works. We do know that Batman's clone was still around(it is referenced in Batwoman #0, as having killed her during Batman INC). That story really loses most of its kick when you realize that it has to be literally reduced to a groundwar between generic zombies and the rainbow lanterns with no real character involved.

I'd say the story begins with Black Hand doing pretty much what he did before, starting with unearthing the Bruce Wayne clone and using it to make rings for people. He probably resurrects a ton of aliens and characters that were associated with the Green Lanterns(like all those Lanterns that died on Xanshii).

He and Nekron attack Coast City and the Rainbow Lanterns show up. Barry and Hal respond first, getting taken out by some random BLs. Nekron reveals that he's the reason some heroes were sent back, like Superman and Hal Jordan. Black Lantern Batman is created and Superman is taken over, becoming a powerhouse that starts changing the war in death's favor. The rainbow lanterns show up and start to help out.

In the story, several heroes are killed, like Hawk and Dove, to become Black Lanterns.

From here, the story features Sinestro taking the white energy and Superman is freed. Black Hand returns to life, spitting out white rings and everyone smacks Nekron back into the nothingness.

It ends with Deadman, Hawk, Dove Roman Sionis, and Captain Boomerang returning to life. You can pick and choose other heroes, as long as they aren't characters that never met Superman or Batman(Like Hawkman, or J'onn, who hasn't been seen since he joined Stormwatch). I say Roman Sionis because Detective Comics stated he died and did return to life mysteriously, around the same time as Brightest Day. I guess he can replace any number of the other heroes who once died before the reboot.

the Anti-Monitor also must be resurrected. He's been referenced in Green Lantern Corps and in New Guardians, the Weaponer is still using the white lantern weapon he made using the net that Deadman caught himself in after facing the Anti-Monitor in Brightest Day.

Hal and Sinestro find the white lantern and cannot lift it.

In Brightest Day, Deadman must learn to live again in order to fulfill his purpose. He falls in love with Dove, Hawk gets mad, etc. He also faces off against the Anti-Monitor and leaves that net behind. The story still ends with Hawk failing to catch the boomerang that kills Boston Brand again. Alec Holland becomes Swamp Thing and defeats the dark avatar, before vanishing, which leads into his current book. You have to cut out most of the Hawkman and Martian Manhunter stuff. Aquaman can still help out, I just don't see how you can include the four elemental avatars anymore.

Let's see: so far we have most of Morrisons Action run, JL 1 - 6, the 0 issues, Action and Swamp Thing annuals...and we know between then and the current books some version of Death/Return of Superman, Swamp Thing 50, Brightest Day, Blackest Night, Flashpoint, Morrisons Batman, and Morrisons JLA (at least 1 - 4) happened. We know Shade's still around despite the JSA never being around and that Martian Manhunter was briefly in the JL but it ended badly. What else?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Going by Justice League I don't think Final Crisis happened. We don't see them actually acting like a true team till issue #13.

I'd like to see someone succcinctly explain to me the Batfamily history.

And I don't even know what or what didn't happen with the Teen Titans. At this point I'm just assuming none of the Teen Titans history happened which kind of sucks for Dick Grayson and Deathstroke

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    My current explanation for everything-Darkseid playing with his action figures and changing things whenever he feels like it
    My current idea is that Squirrel Girl and Pixie are still playing with the Voodoo dolls from AvX:Versus 6, but took a lunch break and started a new round and couldn't remember what they'd done before with their DC dolls.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vampiric_cannibal View Post
    My current idea is that Squirrel Girl and Pixie are still playing with the Voodoo dolls from AvX:Versus 6, but took a lunch break and started a new round and couldn't remember what they'd done before with their DC dolls.
    That works 2. Next relaunch will be cause Magik decided either to mess up their dolls or just to screw with another timeline.