Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dear Mr. Rua,

As "The Underwhelming Mouse Patrol" trademark is held by the Disney Corporation, we have issued a cease and desist order over any and all uses in the future. Please comply or we shall be forced to remove your left nostril and imprison any pets you hold dear.

Good day sir!

Rabid Wolfpack of Disney Lawyers.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Aside from art I have not been a collector in years, I have little interest in gathering up thousands of comics to set in boxes any longer, for the most part I just want to read the stories, I like the idea of digital yet would prefer to be able to download the issue then I started thinking if that even matters anymore. Real or digital the value overall is not going to be there and I rather save the space. I do like things perfect just for that reason alone, not for any possible value, now if someone ends up having value I will just sell it off and get the trade.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

"Worth" and "value" -- a collector worries not for these things. Sellers care about that.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    "Worth" and "value" -- a collector worries not for these things. Sellers care about that.
    That reminds me of people that "collect" yet all they talk about how much it will be worth in a few years (most the time it hardly is) seems like a flawed plan if they truly want what they have, I never went in collecting anything with the thought of how much will it be worth, however I ended up selling off a ton of stuff for personal reasons and some stuff had value and a lot was basically worthless. The art I have, I do not care if it is worth zero, it means something to me and I rather one of a kind items to have no value. Some people could be a combo of both, they are a reader collector and if they see something go up in value they sell it and pick up the trade or hardcovers as I did with Ultimate Spider-Man a decade ago. I did not care how I had the story just that I had it. It went for so much more that it allowed for the hardcovers plus a bunch of items comics etc...

Well I kinda collect them in a way.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

I'm kind of like the OP, in that I latch onto certain characters. I'll read anything that that character stars in. Obviously, with characters like Cap you can be more selective (I try to limit it to books that 'matter' to his overall story, vs random guest appearances in, say, Spider-Man).

I more or less try to keep an ongoing narrative where every story has a place (I don't file my books in numerical order by title, but by arcs in the universe). It's like an unending jigsaw puzzle.

I'm always game for random older issues too. It's always fun when you sit down with a new (to you) story and just enjoy it on it's own merits without having to place it in any context. DC books are great for this!
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    There's a confusion of terms.

Collecting usually refers to people who purchase comics with an expectation of a return on their investment. The OP seems to be unaware of this.

Let me try to rephrase the original question:

"How do you determine what to read? How do you know you'll enjoy it?"

The answer is pretty easy: read reviews, and trial & error. Lather, rinse, repeat. That's really the only way.
    The definition of a collector:
    1. A person or thing that collects something, in particular.
    2. A person who collects things of a specified type, professionally or as a hobby

Confusion of terms? Well I guess, but not by me. Collecting can have nothing to do with making back on an investment. To some, maybe it does, but definitely not to all. You've never heard of a collector who collects to have, i dunno, a collection - you know, for keeps? I know these old 50 cent comics aren't going to be worth anything but I enjoy reading Batman stories.

And my 'question' on how to know what I'd like was 110% rhetorical. I already stated that I don't pass judgment on something, especially not a story, based solely on reviews. Reviews are not the only way I can decide if I like a cheap old comic - I can spend $25 on 60 of them find out myself without worrying haha. That's just how I do it - I nab stuff for cheap if I think I'll enjoy it. With Batman - I almost always will - it's just a comic book. If i don't happen to enjoy it, I won't feel bad for dropping two quarters on it. At least I'll have some art.

Do you see how I'm trying to work a discussion that's on topic into this instead of just bash someone over the way they collect without putting forth any constructive conversation toward the topic?

Quote Originally Posted by Pól Rua View Post
    We're not 'nay-sayers'; we just disagree.
    I don't buy shit that I don't like. I only buy trades except in the case of small press publishers and creators who actually NEED my money. And with the availability of archival stuff in reprints, the latest issues of 'The Underwhelming Mouse Patrol' is competing for my money with the works of Harvey Kurtzmann, Jean Giraud, Carl Barks, Wally Wood, Torv Janssen... well, it'd have to be a pretty damn impressive copy of 'The Underwhelming Mouse Patrol' to get my bread.
    Feel free to do what you enjoy doing.
    I enjoy reading good stuff a hell of a lot more than accumulating a bunch of cheap crap I sorta don't hate.
    Different strokes for different folks.

I don't feel the need to sling mud at people who approach the hobby differently to me, tho'.
    Yeah but there was nothing to disagree with in my original post in the first place lol. I was simply asking the COLLECTORS who collect, thus have a reason to reply, to share how or why. That's it lol. There was nothing to disagree with, if you don't collect then don't bother posting haha. I mean, I obviously don't buy comic lots if I don't see ANYthing I'd be interested in - but just a few books are enough to peak my interest if it's not pricey.

Toward anyone actually sharing what's up in their collecting world, i do appreciate it and have enjoyed reading what your angles on the whole deal are. I'm honestly just interested in hearing what you guys have to say - I don't really see a reason for all the negativity haha

To sum it up, this is exactly the point I was trying to get across:
    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    I'm always game for random older issues too. It's always fun when you sit down with a new (to you) story and just enjoy it on it's own merits without having to place it in any context. DC books are great for this!
    Last edited by theDarkJAww13; 11-03-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkJAww13 View Post
    The definition of a collector:
    1. A person or thing that collects something, in particular.
    2. A person who collects things of a specified type, professionally or as a hobby

Confusion of terms? Well I guess, but not by me. Collecting can have nothing to do with making back on an investment. To some, maybe it does, but definitely not to all. You've never heard of a collector who collects to have, i dunno, a collection - you know, for keeps? I know these old 50 cent comics aren't going to be worth anything but I enjoy reading Batman stories.
    That's nice and all, but context counts. In this context, "collector" far more often than not means "investor". You'll note by all of the other responses that many agree.

And please note that I did not attack you or otherwise dismiss your topic.

And my 'question' on how to know what I'd like was 110% rhetorical.

Do you see how I'm trying to work a discussion that's on topic into this instead of just bash someone over the way they collect without putting forth any constructive conversation toward the topic?
    And how did that work out for you?
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

Thread creator does not get the response he wants and immediately defaults to pissy defensive mode. Amazingly, this does not cause the thread to shift to the topic he wants it to, but instead becomes about how pissy and defensive he's being. Funny how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    Thread creator does not get the response he wants and immediately defaults to pissy defensive mode. Amazingly, this does not cause the thread to shift to the topic he wants it to, but instead becomes about how pissy and defensive he's being. Funny how that works.
    If you don't wish to discuss what he was asking, there's really no need to mock the post. He, and other posters, attempted to clarify what may have been an incorrectly phrased opening salvo.

I understand that this is the internet and all, but we can be human beings on occasion. It's possible, even behind screen names and avatar images.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Ive been a "collector" since 1986 but what I collect ya never know. I love collecting things, my fancy shifts alot and alot of times to get the new thing Im after due to lack of room or funds or both. I'll barter whatever my last adventure was and head into a new direction. Recently I traded some fishing tackle for some comics from a "investor"(sorry no batman) to get started. Now Im thinking about selling or bartering some of those for things Im more interested in.

I think comics could end up being a long run for me, my oldest son is starting to show some intrest as was my main hope in doing this, as well as my wife. She's wanting to get some Epic Kill after reading the first issue. Heck my 16 month old son sits and watch's Ultimate Spider-Man and The Avengers on Disney XD. As for me, when I was in School almost 20 years ago. I "collected" Amazing Spider-Man and Spawn, well and just about anything else Todd McFarlane was associated with. Now Im finding myself more interested in the storys but I know I'll find a niche and start a few specific collections along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by MT2 View Post
    Ive been a "collector" since 1986 but what I collect ya never know. I love collecting things, my fancy shifts alot and alot of times to get the new thing Im after due to lack of room or funds or both. I'll barter whatever my last adventure was and head into a new direction. Recently I traded some fishing tackle for some comics from a "investor"(sorry no batman) to get started. Now Im thinking about selling or bartering some of those for things Im more interested in.

I think comics could end up being a long run for me, my oldest son is starting to show some intrest as was my main hope in doing this, as well as my wife. She's wanting to get some Epic Kill after reading the first issue. Heck my 16 month old son sits and watch's Ultimate Spider-Man and The Avengers on Disney XD. As for me, when I was in School almost 20 years ago. I "collected" Amazing Spider-Man and Spawn, well and just about anything else Todd McFarlane was associated with. Now Im finding myself more interested in the storys but I know I'll find a niche and start a few specific collections along the way.
    There you go. I also collect a lot of other things that aren't strictly comics - of cource the TPBs but other than books, things like anything Peanuts-related (Charlie Brown) or Where's Waldo. I'm also to save any concert/sports game/movie tickets I get.

But Batman comics is the one where I get the most gratification from. Aside from the comic strips, Peanuts things are just to look at - as are Waldo, etc. With these comics I'll always have some stories that I haven't read, starring my favorite character, and when I finish I'll feel like I just had a good time with whatever money I spent on the book.

I can definitely see how you dig the McFarlane stuff - his art back in the 90's was awesome. His work on Spider-man is classic - the Birth of Venom is easily one of my favorite stories, mostly due to McFarlane's art. I used to have a few Spawn figures - did you nab any of those along the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    That's nice and all, but context counts. In this context, "collector" far more often than not means "investor". You'll note by all of the other responses that many agree.

And please note that I did not attack you or otherwise dismiss your topic.

And how did that work out for you?
    Dude in context to what? The 'context' here is referring to my original post haha. In which case, in 'context' collector does not mean investor AT ALL. Taken into context toward the discussion I was trying to have, collector means what the English definition for the word is haha. No matter what man. Collector doesn't automatically mean "investor." It makes sense why you're not into collecting if all you're worrying about is "how much will this cost in the future?" It almost always doesn't work like that. And you attacked me when you called me unaware without knowing what the word 'collector' meant lol. Now you should note I'm not trying to be an ass here but this was a simple topic because i'm interested in how others go about this. there was no reason for debate until people who had nothing better to do played spammer.

And it's worked pretty decently actually if you haven't noticed that almost, if not just as many people have posted in here actually sharing their thoughts on how or what they collect. See the above post for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    Uh, I don't think i was really being all that pissy haha, I was just telling off the people like you who come into a thread on a forum to act like you're above somebody. Unlike you, I'm really not obsessing over what the majority of the people on these forums think of me - so I refuse to become a cynical ballsack like you and the others who can't, or refuse to have a decent discussion about comic books on a comic book forum haha. No pissyness here, I have no qualms in my life, I'm happy lol. It's apparent you're the one with the underlying issues or else you'd find people in real life to bad mouth.

Oh actually, I'm in Boston too if you wanna meet up in person and talk!? haha

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkJAww13 View Post
    Dude in context to what?
    Comics fandom.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

i think thedarkjaww13 needs to change all the "collect" in his posts to "buy and read"

i mean i buy and read a fuckton of comics, but i'm not a god damn collector

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Chang View Post
    i think thedarkjaww13 needs to change all the "collect" in his posts to "buy and read"

i mean i buy and read a fuckton of comics, but i'm not a god damn collector
    no, i don't need to change them. Because I was addressing the collectors. If you don't fancy yourself a collector, and don't believe the jumbled pile of comics you're referring to buying and reading is a collection, then you had no reason to post haha. you could have just passed over the thread haha

whoa.

mods, please, end my torture. before these people baffle me into my grave, close this thread. I don't care anymore lol. Anyone who wants to talk about collections, message me. I retreat forum gods.