Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

In defense of Avengers Arena, at least the Battle Royale reference in the solicits is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoVGM View Post
    Considering someone right above you said they wanted to read Alpha, which automatically made your "point" invalid, perhaps you can throw away the "above it all" nonsense and show a little respect.

On top of that, you can add me to the people who will purchase this. While I wasn't huge on the Alpha arc, it was fun enough and I think the character has potential. The writer on this also has interested me.
    Kinda like this.
    In paper, Alpha is interesting. It's one of those characters that are difficult to pull off, but amazing when they're done right. Slott obviously failed that by a mile. But now we have the redemption chapter of his story and it's being written by Fialkov, meaning this mini (heheh kinda rhymed) is very likely to be a great story.
    Hopefully he'll use the powers in a more creative manner, maybe use his strength with a super-heavy object to mix-up his potential or some other cool way to change the simple powers that Slott gave this kid.
    Thug: Tell... tell my wife i love her...
    Spider-man: No.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BottomsUp View Post
    In defense of Avengers Arena, at least the Battle Royale reference in the solicits is pretty cool.
    Reducing your characters to an homage doesn't fill me with hope for the book.

I can understand why Marvel's publishing the book. The story sold well, and got a lot of promotion, with pieces in places like USA Today about Spider-Man's new sidekick.

The hook is pretty good, with a teen superhero who used to be Spider-Man's sidekick before a falling out.

The creative team is impressive enough for this type of project.

The objection seems to be based on either an individual's response to the Alpha story, or the perception regarding the universal response to it. There's the implicit demand that the people at Marvel should have been obligated to anticipate the response to the story.

Considering how quickly the project is coming out, it seems likely that it was commissioned before the arc was finished. Had they cancelled the project, they would still have to pay Flakov and Plati. And that would be based on the assumption that fan response on the internet would mean lower sales for the mini.

Though it's also possible that Marvel would have gone ahead either way. There was the Jackpot mini-series in 2009, well after the generally negative response to Amazing Spider-Man Annual 35.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Honestly after the okay intro story of alpha in amazing spider-man I thought the dude was a grade A prick. Unworthy of any super power let alone the powers of the universe itself and after the arc concluded I figured he'd be a one off character that would return in like a 100 something issues as a villain to seek revenge on spidey and to whine about how spidey took away his ill deserved power only to be beaten and thrown in jail till the next writer decides to give him another shot or he rests in comic character limbo forever.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    I don't think you know what most of those words mean.

You're prediction is that we will sell ZERO copies since "no one" is interested. I guess we will see.

SW
    People will stop to watch a train wreck. Doesn't mean the train wreck was a good thing.

Let's be clear here despite the theories of some in here, Marvel did not set out to create a terrible character intentionally hoping that by making everyone not like him that they would in turn pick up a book solely about him. This isn't the Hulk, people won't continue to buy to see how someone will manage to fix Loeb's massive failing of a long time iconic character. The thought process behind this decision eludes me as I watch a number of fantastic series come to an end in the last month. The tale of redemption some people are touting is one done every day in comics, its a story of most of the Avengers and a lot more evil people than Alpha. It's not some long-awaited tale that has until now been avoided. And what is being redeemed here? Him being a douche? He wasn't a super villain, he was Disney's Kid Sentry. Actually, that probably explains where he came from.

Will some people buy it? People will buy black market organs, slaves and Christina Aguilera albums. Doesn't mean it's something you should be proud of.
    Last edited by DarkWarriorBlake; 11-03-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkWarriorBlake View Post
    People will stop to watch a train wreck. Doesn't mean the train wreck was a good thing.

Let's be clear here despite Wacker's protestations and the theories of some in here. Marvel did not set out to create a terrible character intentionally hoping that by making everyone not like him that they would in turn pick up a book solely about him. This isn't the Hulk, people won't continue to buy to see how someone will manage to fix Loeb's massive failing of a long time iconic character. The thought process behind this decision eludes me as I watch a number of fantastic series come to an end in the last month. The tale of redemption some people are touting is one done every day in comics, its a story of most of the Avengers and a lot more evil people than Alpha. It's not some long-awaited tale that has until now been avoided.

Will some people buy it? People will buy black market organs, slaves and Christina Aguilera albums. Doesn't mean it's something you should be proud of.
    I agree with you. I could care less about an alpha mini series and honestly don't get why this has to be made when he's a D grade character. If marvel wants a mini series do it but find a better team or character to do it on. Don't try beating a dead horse thinking it will move. Will some people buy the alpha series undoubtedly will it be selling like hot cakes? Most likely no. Probably it will just fade into obscurity like dozens of other mini series

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    not a fan of the character. Bring back Speedball-- much more likeable.
    I would also suggest bringing Miles Morales to the 616 and let him be mentored by Peter..
    I thought they already mentioned him being in the 616 after that crossover event

Veteran Member

Let's be clear here despite the theories of some in here, Marvel did not set out to create a terrible character intentionally hoping that by making everyone not like him that they would in turn pick up a book solely about him. This isn't the Hulk, people won't continue to buy to see how someone will manage to fix Loeb's massive failing of a long time iconic character. The thought process behind this decision eludes me as I watch a number of fantastic series come to an end in the last month. The tale of redemption some people are touting is one done every day in comics, its a story of most of the Avengers and a lot more evil people than Alpha. It's not some long-awaited tale that has until now been avoided. And what is being redeemed here? Him being a douche? He wasn't a super villain, he was Disney's Kid Sentry. Actually, that probably explains where he came from.

To follow your childish analogy though...the train hasn't even left the station and you are hysterically convincing yourself it already crashed. In general people just roll their eyes at folks like you.

And yes, an Alpha comic is JUST like slavery. Yeesh. How dopey can you get.

Maybe Stop taking every comic that comes out as a challenge. It's entertainment. Unclench.

SW

PS: hate to break it to ya, but Aguilera is pretty good. I'll take that comparison.
    Last edited by stephen wacker; 11-03-2012 at 08:07 PM.

BANNED

wacker

give fialkov more work!

BANNED

lol such dramatics over a comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by Optic Rage View Post
    No, you see, it's because bad comics are worse than Hitler, obviously.
    Thug: Tell... tell my wife i love her...
    Spider-man: No.

Quote Originally Posted by Optic Rage View Post
    I agree with the sentiment, but jeez, look who's talking! Tell us again how AvX was worse than thumbscrews.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by MorningMoon View Post
    No, you see, it's because bad comics are worse than Hitler, obviously.
    Even Hitler was good enough to shoot Hitler though. Alpha keeps on truckin'

Note: This is a joke, I'm not extolling the benefits of Hitler.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    I agree with the sentiment, but jeez, look who's talking! Tell us again how AvX was worse than thumbscrews.
    Yes, because saying that a massively hyped company wide event that pretty much everyone agreed was bad, sucked is totally the same as comparing a fairly irrelevant mini that you don't even seem to want to read in the first place to slavery.