Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    Ledger, yes I'll give you that. I (personally) dont remember THAT much of an outcry over Evans being Cap though.

Oh yeah, there were a lot of people trashing Evan's Cap casting, I recall that. Same with Hathaway as Catwoman and back in the day we had Keaton with Batman.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Ledger, yes I'll give you that. I (personally) dont remember THAT much of an outcry over Evans being Cap though.
    I wouldn't go as far as to say nerd rage outcry. More like doubts of him pulling off The Hero of Marvel off given the past roles that Evans portrayed. Which are goofy characters
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    MCD as Kingpin, Idris Elba as Heimdall, Tyler Perry as Alex Cross, etc.
    Alex Cross was always black in the books.
    I have this idea for the next X-teme Games Gold Medal Event--Bear Tickling. Its like Bull riding but more X-treme! You are timed on how long you can tickle a bear before he attacks you.

-Excelsior

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as to say nerd rage outcry. More like doubts of him pulling off The Hero of Marvel off given the past roles that Evans portrayed. Which are goofy characters
    After I saw Sunshine my doubts about Evans acting chops were put to rest enough to make me not fear him being Cap.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    My only objection is the double standard. If a character who was white is cast as a different race, the objections of "but he's not _____, he's white" get ignored; yet when Sir Ben Kinglsey is cast as the Mandarin... complaints like that suddenly have merit.

Pick an opinion, and STICK WITH IT!!! You can't have your cake and eat it too
    white people have had free cake for years. non-whites are only now getting to lick the frosting.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

After I saw Sunshine my doubts about Evans acting chops were put to rest enough to make me not fear him being Cap.
    i was convinced by the first time he appeared all steroided out. he underwent a complete transformation to become Cap. i had a hard time recognizing as the guy who played Johnny Storm.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    white people have had free cake for years. non-whites are only now getting to lick the frosting.
    I agree with Frost in that it should be a two way street.

Seeing the dedication Evans put in the role of Captain America was enough to convince me that they picked the right guy for the role.

Well this explains the lightning flash at the end of the last movie.

Looking forward to seeing Spidey duke it out with him.
    Won 6 Awesome Awards, 2Cool awards, 2 internets, a Raging storm and funniest video award
    My RPG Site!

i was convinced by the first time he appeared all steroided out. he underwent a complete transformation to become Cap. i had a hard time recognizing as the guy who played Johnny Storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Seeing the dedication Evans put in the role of Captain America was enough to convince me that they picked the right guy for the role.

Yeah, I was pretty stunned the first time I saw a pick of him as Rogers. That was pretty amazing.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

My only objection is the double standard. If a character who was white is cast as a different race, the objections of "but he's not _____, he's white" get ignored; yet when Sir Ben Kinglsey is cast as the Mandarin... complaints like that suddenly have merit.

Pick an opinion, and STICK WITH IT!!! You can't have your cake and eat it too (I don't me "you" you, I mean the universal "you") Me: I have no objection to race changing (or gender changing); you give the role to the best actor who applied. It's that simple!
    I'd have to agree that if someone is going to complain about certain characters not being the correct race then it should be applied to all races. Not where some are fair game for change and some aren't since then who exactly gets to decide which races do or don't make the list?
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    I'd have to agree that if someone is going to complain about certain characters not being the correct race then it should be applied to all races. Not where some are fair game for change and some aren't since then who exactly gets to decide which races do or don't make the list?
    Well sure, if everything were even, which everything isn't. You point to the movie with no roles for white people in it.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Your shoelaces are untied Kalen O.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Alex Cross was always black in the books.
    D'oh. Good to know, that's what I get for not fact checking. Never read the books, just heard someone else raise that as a talking point. Thanks for the heads up.
    My favorite character can beat up your favorite character.

Loser.

Your shoelaces are untied Kalen O.'s Avatar

Pick an opinion, and STICK WITH IT!!! You can't have your cake and eat it too (I don't me "you" you, I mean the universal "you") Me: I have no objection to race changing (or gender changing); you give the role to the best actor who applied. It's that simple!
    Double standards, by definition, require a different set of principles to be applied to the same, or similar groups. This isn't an example of a double standard, because there's nothing remotely similar about the range of roles available to black actors compared to the range of roles available to white actors.

In addition, a double standard implies that one group is unfairly harmed by the application of the double standard. And there is no argument in the world that can convince me that white actors are harmed by making traditionally white roles available to black actors, without making the MUCH smaller range of traditionally ethnic roles available to white actors in turn.

I really don't think anyone can make the case that trying to put white actors on even footing with actors of other races constitutes 'harm'.
    My favorite character can beat up your favorite character.

Loser.

My only problem and I don't think it serves black actors or black characters much because that they end up always being second guessed while idealy creators would creat original black characters. I would get behind a new black cosmic character over John Stewart anyday. Hell I actually have fondness for Stewart but he'll always be second(or third or fourth) to Hal Jordan.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!