Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Swamp Thing Annual, #1

If it's a 5-week month, it's time for DC Comics to break out the Annuals; this time, Scott Snyder, Scott Tuft, Becky Cloonan, and Andrew Belanger use "Swamp Thing Annual" #1 to tell the first meeting between Alec and Abby.

Full review here.

A surprisingly great issue. For some reason, most Annuals suck, but not this one, although the suspension of disbelief required for the memory loss thing did raise my eyebrows a bit. The Becky Cloonan art was wonderful too.
    “Wonder Woman is a lame superhero...She flies around in her invisible jet and her weaponry is a lasso that makes you tell the truth. I just don’t get it.” -- Megan Fox

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Good story in the village, but I prefer an annual story to be more stand alone (reading issue #14 is required as the annual is a part of it).
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Earth 2, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF

even if the story had sucked(which it didnt't) the artwork from Cloonan would have this a must have anyway.

This will sound like criticism, but it really isn't: This annual read like fanfic. I am not saying it was bad, I liked the story, but it seemed like a fanfic story. And also:

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    Good story in the village, but I prefer an annual story to be more stand alone (reading issue #14 is required as the annual is a part of it).
    Not really... there were like 2 pages that were related to Rotworld, and they don't really matter, they were just there to frame the story, Henry James style

Nice stand alone story featuring Alec and Abby meeting for the first time. I would say the art fit the book well. Abby looks adorable and Alec looks like your average teen. But once the horror stuff kicks, the whole thing got interesting. I like the tentacle monster Swampy a lot. That was some awesome display of power. Same goes with the giant Swamp Thing

Still, I really wonder why they need to change the characters' pasts and make Alec and Abby already meeting before the new 52. I hope it will lead to somewhere. 'The Flower of Rot' and Jason Woodrue. I am looking forward to see how these seeds (pardon the pun) will grow in future issues
    "Criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot." - Dick Grayson
    "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard." - Damian Wayne