Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Poe1809 View Post
    I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. It's still sitting where I left, so that's good I guess. Just so I'm clear, I don't have to worry about the villian in volume 3 being Super-Syphillis, do I?
    No, Clark is still unwillingly patient by the end of the issue. Though the idea of Superman with an STD that has now mutated when his powers returned is interesting. Talk about antibiotic-resistant <g>

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    I'm of the view that Perry knew in the old continuity and knows now.
    Not in the old continuity. It was proven on more than one occasion that Perry didn't know, such as when Clark had energy powers and in another story, J'onn helped Clark out by using his powers so that Superman and Clark Kent could be seen together in Perry's office.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Not in the old continuity. It was proven on more than one occasion that Perry didn't know, such as when Clark had energy powers and in another story, J'onn helped Clark out by using his powers so that Superman and Clark Kent could be seen together in Perry's office.
    No, what you're referring to is a case of some writers downplaying Perry's awareness whereas I'm freely referring to where allusions of his awareness are being made (whether it be through Loeb or others).

As Bruce said (or thought, rather) in Hush, Perry's too good an investigative reporter to not know (so, sorry, but I'm taking Bruce's opinion over yours ).

That he chooses to keep that knowledge to himself is something I can wholly accept of the character - just as I can accept that Lois (in current continuity (although perhaps this is now adjusted)) knows but chooses not to let on that she does.

It did! I read it! Thoughts later.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

No, what you're referring to is a case of some writers downplaying Perry's awareness whereas I'm freely referring to where allusions of his awareness are being made (whether it be through Loeb or others).

As Bruce said (or thought, rather) in Hush, Perry's too good an investigative reporter to not know (so, sorry, but I'm taking Bruce's opinion over yours ).

That he chooses to keep that knowledge to himself is something I can wholly accept of the character - just as I can accept that Lois (in current continuity (although perhaps this is now adjusted)) knows but chooses not to let on that she does.
    It's not my opinion. It's backed by the comics themselves. When Jimmy thought that Superman had a dual identity and was about to expose it, but held off on it, Perry talked to Lois and he said that it was a ridiculous concept because of what Superman looked like at the time. That he couldn't possibly get away with it. Then there were the two photos of Superman and Clark Kent together, that Perry published. Not to mention the conversation with J'onn in disguise. Then in "Up, Up And Away", Perry said aloud, that he wondered what it was that Lois saw in Clark.

The only time it ever came up, outside of "Hush", was when Perry learned that Clark's personal belongings, including his passport was the storage closet and he brought it up to him. But that was dropped by the following issue and never referred to again. Perry didn't know. Nor did Jimmy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    It's not my opinion.
    Actually, it is your opinion.

It's backed by the comics themselves.
    When interpreted a certain way, yes.

When one accepts the fact that Perry White is considered to be one of the best investigative journalists of his time, it's really not hard to conclude that he's doing a Harvey Harris (without the dying).

It's okay if you're not comfortable with him knowing, but don't close yourself off to it. (There are dozens of plot threads that were dropped in the old continuity, and there will be plenty that fall to the side in the new one but someone can just as easily pick them right back up.)

Then in "Up, Up And Away", Perry said aloud, that he wondered what it was that Lois saw in Clark.
    You sure that was in 'Up, Up and Away' and not Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    No, Clark is still unwillingly patient by the end of the issue. Though the idea of Superman with an STD that has now mutated when his powers returned is interesting. Talk about antibiotic-resistant <g>
    No no, let's not give anyone any ideas.

I know some weren't keen on Clark hiding his talents, but I'm pretty sure at least a few of us can relate to him doing so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20355996

I know I held back a lot (and, frankly, still do)...

Just finished reading the book. While it wasn't without its faults, I found it to be an enjoyable read. BEWARE OF SPOILERS

I like the way Parasite was portrayed. His background, appearance, and the effects ofhis powers were really cool ... tho maybe a bit more violence would have been fun ;) The sexual tension between Clark and Lisa was cool, they shared some nice scenes (tho personally, I think it would've been cool to see Clark get a little nookie with her! tee hee!) The use of newspaper articles at the end of each volume is definitely an effective technique. And while I prefer the New 52 costume (both in look and origin) this updated design of the retro outfit is pretty slick.

The real highlights for me were how Superman dealt with the tyrannical dictatorship of Borada, further developments of the lives in Clark's apartment block, and the way Parasite accidentally killed his sister because of his powers and how that reflected Superman's own fear of his powers regarding the 'birds and bees' talk Jonathan gave him some years ago ...

JMS carved the story out quite well, and Shane Davis' artwork is amazing. I think volume 2 is better than volume 1. The impression I get, without being too pedantic, from JMS' vision of the Superman mythology is ... it's basically a modernised (and simplified) version of the Byrne era with a couple of JMS' own surprises thrown in. Looking forward to volume 3 (Lex squared!) , I'm really hoping Shane Davis stays on as artist.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

I know some weren't keen on Clark hiding his talents, but I'm pretty sure at least a few of us can relate to him doing so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20355996

I know I held back a lot (and, frankly, still do)...
    And it works (I ask because I realize I've never really been bullied.....which is strange considering how I corresponded to some "bullied" stereotypes)?
    Because, I don't know about you, but I've always felt bullys were more interested in what you look like than in what you really are. They're not so much interested in you actual grades than in the fact that you look like someone who would have good ones.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    And it works (I ask because I realize I've never really been bullied.....which is strange considering how I corresponded to some "bullied" stereotypes)?
    Because, I don't know about you, but I've always felt bullys were more interested in what you look like than in what you really are. They're not so much interested in you actual grades than in the fact that you look like someone who would have good ones.
    Bullying comes in various forms, and one of the kinds I encountered were where my peers took issue with my being at their level when I was an 'outsider' (for example, when I was top of the Latin class even though everyone else had been studying it for 3 years and I had only just started).

Yes, it worked - over those years, three teachers called me out on it and told me to stop holding back as I was doing myself a disservice (that was easier said than done, though).

Bullying comes in various forms, and one of the kinds I encountered were where my peers took issue with my being at their level when I was an 'outsider' (for example, when I was top of the Latin class even though everyone else had been studying it for 3 years and I had only just started).

Yes, it worked - over those years, three teachers called me out on it and told me to stop holding back as I was doing myself a disservice (that was easier said than done, though).
    No, I mean bullys stopped bullying you because you held back?
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    No, I mean bullys stopped bullying you because you held back?
    Yes, it worked.

Yes, it worked.
    Ha. Must be the fact I never had any talent then.

ShaunN

Some comments: first, I enjoyed this book, for the most part. Definite weaknesses, but also a lot going for it. But was the story so incredible that it needs to come out once a year? Well, no, but it does create the possibility of a self-contained epic.

I'm not sure about some of the reaction here to the "women of tissue paper" thing. The obvious fact is that sex would be an enormous problem for a being as powerful as Superman. The idea that a guy this incredibly powerful gets through a day without breaking everything he touches is already a stretch; putting him in a physical relationship with a woman would be akin to committing murder. (And this doesn't even get at the "autonomic reactions" that Dick discussed and that Pa Kent mentions in this book) That's one of the reasons that the Superman-WW relationship in the regular continuity actually makes a lot of sense. At least both of them can have physical relations without killing or harming the other. Frank Miller makes the same point in his terrible "Dark Knight Strikes Again" when he has Clark telling Lara never to have relations with a human because they are too fragile.

I like the Lisa character and I hope she sticks around for the future. As someone noted, she must have figured out that Clark is Superman - how else to explain what happened?

What I find interesting here is that JMS touched on a lot of this with his depiction of Hyperion in "Supreme Power" (still his best series, in my opinion, along with Thor). Hyperion as isolated, with his classmates sensing how strange he was and his inability to relate to anyone, was all done very well and is reproduced here. With Hyperion, of course, all this was very sinister and makes his eventual break much easier to understand. Giving this same background to Clark makes his willingness to be the benevolent Superman much harder to understand. The one key difference is that Hyperion did not have loving parents; Clark did/does. But can this make up for all the rest of the isolation? Some of the other similarities were with the various military efforts to come up with ways to contain him. The "special cell" is similar to what the military developed for Hyperion. Even the scene where Clark sees Lisa with his x-ray vision was similar to a scene where Hyperion meets a stripper (whom he has sex with, without any negative effects on her). Another similarity was the projection on how long it would take Superman to kill every human on Earth, though my recollection is that Hyperion's projections on this question were far lower.

Something else I found a bit odd: vol 1 starts off with Clark going to Metropolis and excelling at everything he does, from football to science, in an effort to find a way to do something positive with his life and make enough money to support his Mom. I'm surprised that all of that happened without some kind of trail being left for Lois to find.

The biggest weaknesses of the story were with the Parasite and the handling of the general. If Clark was going to help others kill the general, then he might as well have done it himself. The more interesting development is with the military's efforts to find a way to kill him. I don't think that this series has yet introduced the concept of kryptonite, and I kind of hope it does not. It would be more interesting to see what the Lexes can come up with without kryptonite. Also, given what has developed in this story, the moment the military gets its hands on kryptonite, it would kill Clark. Going back to the Hyperion theme for a moment, JMS never introduced the concept of Hyperion's kryptonite either, so I'm hopeful he leaves it out of this story.