Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by punisher97 View Post
    I think Marvel should give a small comic to every movie-goer, with a sticker advertising a local comic shop (like FCBD). It could tell potential readers what issue to pick up to continue the story. The stores would stock up on these for the new readers. The comic shop employees can explain the differences from the movies (or a small article could be printed in the comic), if anybody really cares about the differences anyway.
    Someone else suggested something like this before in an old thread. Wacker -- editor of Spider-Man, Daredevil, etc. -- basically said that the main problem is, who are you going to get to give away those comics? Well, in the other discussion it was a matter of who would be selling them in the theater, as well as space allocation.

It's usually all well and good until you get to the nitty-gritty details.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by bskell View Post
    I think the issue is branding. They're attempting to create complete brands out of the characters and want to make sure the experience is the same across the board. It's like why Starbucks is so effective. No matter where you are in the world, you know exactly what you're getting in that cup.

Personally I think it's a shame, but I'm also a guy that's been reading comic for around 30+ years. What I grew up with challenged my imagination in ways movies just couldn't do to costs. Now we have area where comics are becoming a pamphlet to other entertainment. I'm seen a few failed TV/Movie writers turn to comics to build a following.
    I also believe this.
    Marvel, STOP writing for the Trade so I can go back to collecting Monthlies again. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kakitamike View Post
    While I don't remember a percentage being quoted, I have heard that the movies don't really bring in that many people to the comics. One place was in one of the Kevin Smith fatman on batman podcasts. I want to say the other was from a podcast with someone from the marvel video games area, around when MVC3 came out.
    When it comes to the DCU and MU superhero comics, the movies rarely (if ever) bring in brand new readers.

I think the renumbering works well enough for people today. I think new readers want a good place to start, and are put off by knowing there are hundreds of issues of backstory. I used to read marvel back in the 90s, but the only comics i keep up with today are DC 52, while i just read whatever X stuff goes on sale on comixology. Though I do plan to keep up with AA in december for however long that runs, or until Laura is out of the book(one way or another).
    There would be no need to renumber a book in order to give new readers a "good place to start" if the editors and creators of the book would take an old school approach and make every single issue of every single comic accessible to new readers by following the Jim Shooter rule of writing comics. Heck, read any recent comic by Tom DeFalco,Larry Hama,Chris Claremont, or Jim Shooter and you could jump in without being confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Choppa View Post
    Didn't a few people in this thread say they got into comics from the movie?
    They are the exception and not the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Someone else suggested something like this before in an old thread. Wacker -- editor of Spider-Man, Daredevil, etc. -- basically said that the main problem is, who are you going to get to give away those comics? Well, in the other discussion it was a matter of who would be selling them in the theater, as well as space allocation.

It's usually all well and good until you get to the nitty-gritty details.
    I suppose the retailers could do it. My theatre has a good place to give them out as well.
    Marvel: Daredevil, Punisher, Uncanny Avengers, Wolverine & the X-Men, Cyclops, Hawkeye, Superior/Amazing Spider-Man (Trading for)
    Image: East of West, Lazarus, Jupiter's Legacy, Starlight

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    That's the only explanation for the Infinity Gauntlet (or Thanos Quest) topping the NYT best sellers list.
    Again, that's the exception, not the rule. Also, unlike most current Marvel Comics, INFINITY GAUNTLET is a comic that was both suitable for and appealing to people of all ages.

Oops wrong thread! Delete please.
    Last edited by Hulk_Is; 11-01-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    Marvel, STOP writing for the Trade so I can go back to collecting Monthlies again. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by punisher97 View Post
    I think Marvel should give a small comic to every movie-goer, with a sticker advertising a local comic shop (like FCBD). It could tell potential readers what issue to pick up to continue the story. The stores would stock up on these for the new readers. The comic shop employees can explain the differences from the movies (or a small article could be printed in the comic), if anybody really cares about the differences anyway.
    I remember theaters in California doing that with Punisher and the first Raimi Spider-Man movie, but the comics were reprints of older stories that, while good enough comics, aren't likely to appeal to new living-today readers as a comic that was written and drawn during their lifetime. Especially the Punisher one, whcih was, as I recall, a Spidey story with Punisher as a side character.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    Again, that's the exception, not the rule. Also, unlike most current Marvel Comics, INFINITY GAUNTLET is a comic that was both suitable for and appealing to people of all ages.
    Why?

Didn't sales of the Dark Knight returns sky rocket with movie? Same thing with Watchmen.

Readers might not march into stores but there's definitely some readers who get into comics after exposure to other media be it tv, cartoons or even video games.

God knows how many people got into the X-men because of the cartoon.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    Most people who watch Marvel films don't care to pick up comics or tradebacks. Not even 1% of movie-goers do.
    You're perhaps not quite getting the scale in which these films are succesful. If they can get 0.0001% of film goers they'll have 100.000 new readers.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

100 billion people watch the movies?

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Why?

Didn't sales of the Dark Knight returns sky rocket with movie? Same thing with Watchmen.

Readers might not march into stores but there's definitely some readers who get into comics after exposure to other media be it tv, cartoons or even video games.

Must have missed the part where Thanos suffocates Cyclops to death. But at least they didn't show red blood!
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Who says people don't get into comics from movies? My wife got into right into comics after the Thor movie and I'm pretty sure she's not the only one..
    Some people might want to read comics after seeing the movies, but it's a fact that sales are not affected in a significant way. That happened to every superhero movie- go ahead and check out the sales charts.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Some people might want to read comics after seeing the movies, but it's a fact that sales are not affected in a significant way. That happened to every superhero movie- go ahead and check out the sales charts.
    True.

But the trickles of people and the increase in back issues, trades and collections is still good for the companies and retailers.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

I don't recall sales of DKR rising when the movie came out. As for WATCHMEN, sales rose on that tpb months before the movie came out in anticipation for the movie (which ended up under performing at the box office).

True. However, over the last 12 years this seems to be only true of non superhero comics aimed at adults like THE WALKING DEAD,SIN CITY, and 300. THe same is not true of most current superhero comics.

1. That was 20 years ago.

2. Most (if not all) of the people who got into the X-Men comics because of the 90's X-MEN cartoon were young kids.

3. The X-Men comics back then (as well as all Marvel superhero comics from that era) were both suitable for and appealing to people of all ages. Little kids could read those books. This is not true of most Marvel comics over the last 11 years.

4. 20 years ago, Marvel (and to a lesser extent, DC) comics were still available in some venues/outlets outside of the direct market (like newsstands and convenience stores).