Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Batman: Li'l Gotham, #1

Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolfs' "Batman: Li'l Gotham" #1 is a little light on plot, but it's so ridiculously cute that it's hard to not be instantly charmed by this Halloween-themed story.

Full review here.

This and the TMNT Annual were undoubtedly the best comics of the whole month, never mind the week.

Ahh. A quiet, hilarious little peice that manages to cover a pretty good amount of wholesome fan service. We see a gril dressed as the Stephanie Brown Batgirl, we get to see that Arkham's worst are apparently addicted to fine Italian food, and we learn that the Al Ghul family celebrates All Hallow's Eve by randomly resurrecting zombies to beat up with their bare fists using the Lazarus Pit. And Damian learns the cruel, cruel lesson of only one piece of candy per house.

I realize it was a good review, but how do you really criticize this book? Saying it's "light on plot" is completely missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    I realize it was a good review, but how do you really criticize this book? Saying it's "light on plot" is completely missing the point.
    I figured that was done simply because the reviewer thought that if they didn't include at least one negative readers might think he was just shilling.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I figured that was done simply because the reviewer thought that if they didn't include at least one negative readers might think he was just shilling.
    That would imply that someone out there would dislike this comic, though.

Ha, slim chance of that I know! Though you might be surprised.

Ha, slim chance of that I know! Though you might be surprised.
    I dislike the idea of it. But I'll probably still buy it and give it a chance.

I'll post back once I do, but at this stage the idea of a chibi-style Batman does nothing for me. Additionally, neither does the idea of being "charmed". For me, and of course this is only personal opinion, the evolution of the Batman comic series over the decades from something light to something darker, grittier and hard-hitting is perfect.

That said, while I'm hesitant, I'm also open minded. I'll read and feedback here later.

The art is misleading, despite being reminiscent of Tiny Titans it's actually a much different book in execution. It's lighter in tone than your average book but close enough to the main stream books that if I were to just read you the dialog without seeing the art you'd probably think it was an issue of Batman and Robin.

I realize I will probably get labeled a heartless bastard for saying this, but this didn't really do anything for me. Only a buck though, and it wasn't bad or anything, so I can't really complain, but I will definitely not buy future installments.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I realize I will probably get labeled a heartless bastard for saying this, but this didn't really do anything for me. Only a buck though, and it wasn't bad or anything, so I can't really complain, but I will definitely not buy future installments.
    you heartless bastard!

im just kidding
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

It wasn't bad, it just wasn't what I want in the comics I pay money for. I love cuteness in real life, but it doesn't do much for me in comics, and I didn't find the story that interesting or entertaining. I also thought Nguyen's art looked a lot sloppier, or colored differently or something, than his usual "chibi" work. I fully understand that it was made clear from the previews what the comic would be like, so I only have to blame myself here.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

This and the TMNT Annual were undoubtedly the best comics of the whole month, never mind the week.
    We are in total agreement. (Inc. was probably # 3). All that Eastman art reminded me of why I became an artist in the first place, and L'il Gotham is Big Fun.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I sign immediately for its printed edition!!!
    2000 AD of course!!!
    All Hail The Mighty Tharg

a whole year of holiday issues collected into a deluxe hardcover, thanks